free hit
counters
Gearbox oil change - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've filtered the oil that came out and there are no particles at all, it's perfectly clean but it's pretty brown/black as in full of carbon. New blood in the box now so all is well, it was just old oil coming out :rant:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need to do mine, If the sockets are very tight can I use my 12v impact wrench? or do I risk shearing them off? I also have a 18" breaker bar but Iagain I fear shearing the socket off.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I got mine from Halfords,

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

When I did mine a couple of months ago, I discovered the filler plug had been totalled by some ape. I ended up tapping a 12mm (IIRC) face-drive socket onto it, and it came out fine.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

My gearchange has got worse and further investigation shows that one of the cables has pretty much melted. It's almost impossible to change gear now, especially from very hot or very cold :)

Evora NA

Bibs,

Disconnect the cables from the translator and see if they still move in their sheaths.

You can use a spray that converts the rust (PB blaster) to loosen things up.

Clean the entire translator, replace the ball joints, or whatever is necessary to get things moving again.

Use a good synthetic grease on everything.

Make sure everything is correctly tight, these translator assemblies can get loose and then they won't shift because you aren't actually telling the shift forks to go into a gear.

The translator can actually get loose on the cross shaft and this will makes shifting very random.

Next, check in the shifter area to make sure the bushings are ok, and the shift lever mechanism is working correctly.

Does your gear change grind or does it not work with the motor off as well?

If it's only when the engine is on, then it could also be clutch or hydraulics related issues that are keeping you from getting in gear.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

:P

photo4-1.jpg

Fortunately Andy Clements has offered to cast a more experienced eye over this and the translator tomorrow so cross your fingers! :)

Evora NA

Bibs,

They all do that. Mine has looked like that for 8 years (well without the rust part) and the cables still work fine.

There is the outer plastic, then the outer cable sheath (metal cable), and there is an inner sleeve (I believe), and then there is the shift cable inside that.

P3170064.JPG

Clean it up, should look like this on my 89SE :)

P4260211.JPG

P4260207.JPG

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Brilliant, that's a relief and those pics are a massive help, thanks Travis :)

Evora NA

One more thing.

If you go adjusting your cables and translator. Take some time to make sure the cables are properly and rigidly fastened to the chassis and even the engine before you go to all the trouble.

Having the cables rigid will improve feel. But if you secure the cables after everything is adjusted, then the shifting probably will not work or feel like crap... Even just moving the cables will change their effective length...

So always make sure they are secure and then perform the adjustments, otherwise you are wasting your time.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE