free hit
counters
Another S4 esprit topic - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Another S4 esprit topic

ramjet

After opting out of the two SE's I was looking at over here, this has just popped up on our carsales website.

Here 'tis

This is right at the top end of my price range, but my question is whether 17,000kms just seems way too few kms for a 12 year old car?? I've yet to contact the owner and I really want to go look at this one as it's only about an hour away in the same state as me!! What sort of problems can you get with a car that has only done approx 1,500 kms a year? I doubt the engine is really even run in.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check service history. Has it had a Belt change and if so when? At that mileage they could think it doesn't need to be done, but it's a time thing as well (every 2 years Pref).

Very low mileage. Mines 15 years old and 75000 miles. Check repair reciepts if there are any, for a new speedo (yes they can be that stupid sometimes). Over here MOT's take mileage readings so you can check, don't know if they do something similar over there?

Check HPI (you must have an equivalent) to ensure it's never been trashed.

Check all your moving parts. Lotus's love to be driven and when they do no miles they tend to get upset and spit oil or somesuch out.

Looks like a nice car but get it checked out first.

You'll love the S4, brilliant car.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I'm the only one that can check it out. No mechanic over here that I know of really that knows their way around 'em. Maybe one. Need to make a call.

What's HPI Kimbers? I figure it's some register you have of cars that have been crashed? I don't know if we have anything like that over here. Who owns this HPI thingy?

Thanks for the reply btw.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

HPI is the Uk's insurance company register for cat C & B write offs so you don't buy a dud without knowing it.

If those figures of

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

We've been tallking about this car on another Oz forum over here. It is basically a new car. One of the headlight motors needs overhauling.

remember it's an anniversary addition so as such is one of the very early S4 builds - possibly 93.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Guest bharper

being a 1996, that would be one of the very last s4's..... sweet... that would be the zeus head I believe, and was not one of the '96's around 300hp from the factory? Guess that was the 'S' model...

Edited by bharper

Actually, Simon is right, it is more likely to be one of the early S4's not later 96 models. Our Oz delivery vehicles were mostly 93-94 cars which 'sat' for a couple of years before they came out & were marketed as 'Anniversary' models. (If it was a later car, it would have the Brembo brakes, not Toyota brake set up too).

Also, the price is about right for Aussie cars - provided it is a genuine 17,000 kms.

Michael, go check it out, check for paperwork (Kimbers makes a good point about the speedo - mine went at around 17-18,000 kms) & if drives well & looks in order, stop fannying about & buy the damn thing!!! ( :) Just trying to be helpful)

If you think I can help with any more general S4 questions, send me a PM.

Cheers

David

The Anniversary models were a boat load of S4 Esprits that were stuck in Malaysia for years. They were 93 build and were shipped to Oz in 96. Lotus dealers stuck an Anniversary badge on them and knocked some 80k off the original Oz price. The first S4 cars sold for $200k originally, these Anniv ones were a lot less cos they were just trying to clear them.

Check out the Lotus Esprit Oz site for owners comments on the car.

It is practically new and as such would be a gem to buy. Price reflects mileage.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I grabbed the VIN from the Oz lotus website and ran it through the decoder. It is a '94 'anniversary' S4. The pics also show the anniversary decals. I have emailed Giles and am waiting to hear back.

Am going to sort going to have a look and if everything looks ok.... well let's just wait and see.

Michael.

Mrs ramjet thinks this might be the one.... :)

Just keep an eye out for subliminal messages dude... Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it Buy it

:)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ok Bibs. I'll make sure to keep an eye for those subliminal thingies.

:)

Edited by ramjet

-bump-

Have spoken to Giles today and am driving up tomorrow morning to look at it. Cambelt was done 2 years ago, oil changes every 2000km's apparently, has the brembo brakes on it. Have never seen an S4 in the flesh so should be fun day. Also got hte coloured fibreglass roof panel in a cover with it. Will keep everyone informed.

Kimbers,

Unless I own a post Jan '89 car in the UK for 12 months I can not bring it in. I can not import one as the govt system over here requires the car to be complied and there is no-one set up to do post 89 Esprits. There my be a guy in Melbourne who will be able to but it won't be set up until Christmas this year. NZ doesn't have the same restriction as here, which is why Kylie could import the 350.

Stay tuned....... :lol:

-bump- (again :lol: )

Here we go campers.

It's practically mint.

There's some stone chips and we couldn't get the aircon clutch to kick in (is there a low gas pressure switch on the aircon system on the S4?) Owner is going to take it to an aircon guy to get it looked at. Everything else worked. The headlight motor was replaced by a Sydney dealer with something from Repco apparently which has only lasted two years. It's now not an original so don't know whether it is rebuildable. Chargecooler pump is fine 'cos everything was nice and cool after my 1/2 hour test drive. :) The owner has done the oil about every 2000kms. Dipstick proved it. Clean as a whistle. He bought it as 12000kms two years ago.

Power steering fine. No noises that shouldn't be there. I thought the ride would be more compliant than it is being more modern, but I got over that in about a minute. Windscreen shows some signs of delaminating but it's on the very outer edges where you can't see it from inside. Will be talking to Novus windscreen repairers about that as they can do some pretty amazing stuff. No kerb marks on the rims. No problem, but no S4 decals in the side windows which I thought was odd 'cos I've seen em in just about every pic of an S4.

Has original tool kit and colour coded wind deflector and fibreglass roof panel with protective bag.

I really could not find anything wrong with it. Even for the price.

So now I'm going to work the readies out and buy it. It has had one A service and a B service. The 17000kms is genuine.

BTW it's bloody gorgeous in the flesh as I had never seen an S4 before. I know everyone says don't buy the first one you see. The first esprit I saw wasn't worth turning my car on to drive it there. This one was worth every penny of the drive. I crawled under and over it for about 3~4 hours.

If everything goes to plan I hope to have it within the next two weeks. :D

Edited by ramjet

:lol::D:):sick::D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

For those of you that are interested... some pics (plz ignore camera date, this was today - Father's day and a mighty fine way to spend it.)

Driversside.jpg

looks grey in this one but it's black

Interior-2.jpg

very tidy here as well

Engine.jpg

and this is how clean it is underneath

Underneath.jpg

Edited by ramjet

Spotless. You won't regret it mate. The S4 is just a great car.....which reminds me, mine hasn't turned a wheel in a week. Must take her out when it dries up.

Well it's a goer folks.

Sorted the $'s, spoken to the owner to say it's a happener, who nearly decided to keep it :devil: , but is happy to see it go to a person he believes will look after it. Should be about 2 weeks to sort everything out and then I'll join what I believe to be an elite group of people. People who know the difference (I think someone important said that once) :)

To tell the truth, I sort of can't believe it's going to happen...

According to google maps, about 4,213kms. If an esprit will do 200km/h for an extended period, it's about a 21 hour drive. :)