free hit
counters
cleaning oz novas - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

cleaning oz novas

what do you use to keep these clean? this type of alloy arent the easiest of things to clean up with all the boltheads etc, and where can i get some scuffs repaired?

just wondering if anyone here has any advice?

anyone?? im going to use a citrus cleaner on them but wondering if anyone uses a sealer wax afterwards, and as these are diamond cut rims where they have had scuff repairs done to a high standard.

• 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used an off-the-shelf citrus cleaner on my 2 day old powder-painted wheels and it stained/etched the paint. Made them look pale white in the places I left it on too long. Nothing ever solved the blotchy stain, so the wheels were stripped and repainted. That was an expensive mistake I suggest you try to avoid. Either heavily dilute the citrus cleaner or use Simple Green.

I love the Simple Green product. Not expensive, sold everywhere and easy on paint . . . plus you can use it full strength and it will not strip your skin of oils like a caustic auto cleaner (such as Castrol's grime buster) will.

AP

Get some Virosol, you can look it up on google it 's a bout

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

• 2 weeks later...
I used an off-the-shelf citrus cleaner on my 2 day old powder-painted wheels and it stained/etched the paint. Made them look pale white in the places I left it on too long. Nothing ever solved the blotchy stain, so the wheels were stripped and repainted. That was an expensive mistake I suggest you try to avoid. Either heavily dilute the citrus cleaner or use Simple Green.

I love the Simple Green product. Not expensive, sold everywhere and easy on paint . . . plus you can use it full strength and it will not strip your skin of oils like a caustic auto cleaner (such as Castrol's grime buster) will.

AP

Aieeeeaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!

Do not use Simple green! Especially on aluminum!

Simple green heavily oxidizes aluminum, and will even strip chrome at full strength.

And it's not good on clear coat either! As in the clear coat on OZ wheels.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

you could have a look at detailing world. bit obsesive but these guys know their stuff. Meguirs or chemical brothers seem popular.

The irony!

I use nothing on my wheels, just don't leave it long enough between washes for dust to bake on. Regular maintenance makes them easy to look after.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That's a big 10-4, Fearless Leader. I probably wash my wheels 5 times as often as I wash the car itself. Can't stand the look of brake dust on any car. Of course cleaning a Saturn wheel is a cakewalk compared to the intricacies and convolutions of the Novas. Not a fair contest. :P

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.