free hit
counters
Battery Idiot light - not on! - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
funguy

Battery Idiot light - not on!

Hey, there.

So, I'm cruising down the road on the weekend in my 2000 Esprit. ABS light starts flashing, SRS light, same thing. Check engine light comes on...

Great I'm thinking. I stop the car, start it again, no lights come on. I drive for about 2kms, same thing happens.

After a bit, the car starts coughing and puking, backfires, etc. then just dies.

Alrighty then, I assume I have a battery issue. The battery was charged fully, same issue. OK, then I put a multimeter across the posts of the battery and it's down to 11.6V. I started the car, same reading ~11.51V.

I jacked the car up and with it running, put the multimeter on the +ve lead off the alternator, same reading. Now I know for sure my alternator is pooched.

Shouldn't the idiot light on the dash have lit up? Also, for some reason, my OBDII code reader wouldn't pull a code from the car...

I read through one of the other forums on the saga that member had trying to get the alternator out. I know I can have it rebuilt locally for cheaper than the dealer's rebuilt one (+ they are 1200kms from my house).

wish me luck pulling this out.

Any advice why the light wouldn't come on for a charging issue? Is there something else I should be looking for?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does the bulb come on when you turn your key on but don't start? If not then bulb is probably burned out. It happens frequently with alternator issues. Be sure to replace the bulb if bad as it's part of the charging system and can cause more alternator problems if not fixed.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

The ecu shouldn't log a fault so you won't be able to get it with a code reader. I've never seen a fault code with an alternator fault and i've seen hundreds of alternator faults.

Edited by davegtst

Good Call!

But.... No, I swapped it out for a working bulb with no change. On the bright side, I did find another burned bulb in the instrument cluster that needed to be replaced.

Any other ideas?

Oh, yah, before I narrowed it down to a charging issue, I thought it was something more serious, hence the OBD reader...

It's not a multi-thousand dollar unit but it can't communicate with the car anyway. It just gives me a fault instead of a "no codes" message.

It's true that simple Bosch technology works. As my is outside all stock, but replaced/repaired with some Bosch Internals. So i would (in an case i decide to buy an really new/complete unit) also go the cheap "Cadillac way"

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I read through a few of the posts from those that had ventured down the path before on getting the alternator out...

It really wasn't as bad as some have experienced and the alternator was lying on the floor in about 45 mins.

I called the dealer yesterday - $500 for a rebuilt. No chance of that!

I have a local place that just rebuilds auto electric and it will be rebuilt for about $180.

If I beg, they should be able to get it done today and I'll stuff it back in the car tonight.

I still have no idea why the idiot light won't light. Any idea if that's traced back to a fuse or something else?

can beat that: i payed 80

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..