free hit
counters
Wing location? - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Wing location?

as a wing guy, i can say that that wing has to go or be remounted. It buggs me something terrible

It's funny that you put it that way, I get the same creepazoidal feeling from it. I guess when something is just not right, it's an instinct thing.....

As for some of the other wing comments I'm noticing that like black wheels (argggghh!), when it comes to wings there are pretty much two camps. You love'm or you hate'm. Personally I like both the SE low and high wings. I also saw an S4 on ebay not long ago that the guy left the S4 wing and added the S4S wing. I thought it was hot and reminded me of a Sierra cossie (which I also love). Oh well, I'm another one that just have to have wings......cars look like base models without them.

lsrearaug2008agl6.jpg

cnv0832si6.jpg

And I absolutely love Countach's and Diablo's WITH wings (couldn't care less about the later Audighini's though):

monterey2008silverdiablyb7.jpg

:D

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lotus part # A724W8821F: Wing protection mat, picnic (outdoor), nonslip [$227.00]

Lotus part # A725W8822F: Wing tablecloth, white (small) [$109.00]

Lotus part # A726W8823F: Wing cutting board, pine [$87.00] (teak, $331.00)

Lotus part # A727W8824F: Wing accessories Lotus emblem, adhesive patch [$72.00] (metallic plastic, $145.00)

Haha !!! We didnt end up buying the Lotus cheese knife or Lotus white platter plate, perhaps next time :D You can buy the Lotus picnic hamper complete for $950.00 :sofa:

350.gifNo.23

That is a horrible wing for the SE.

I'm also still mad that they repainted that VulcanGrey car... that is 2 that have been repainted (including Mark's in Scotland).

It does look good in that color, but not VulcanGrey good.

My%20Lotus%205.jpg

lotus%20small%202.JPG

Vulcan_20Grey_20sm.jpg

vulcan_grey_wheels.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I also saw an S4 on ebay not long ago that the guy left the S4 wing and added the S4S wing. I thought it was hot and reminded me of a Sierra cossie (which I also love). Oh well, I'm another one that just have to have wings......cars look like base models without them

:D

After much analysis, including factory findings I concluded the best position for my wing was this:

Wing.jpg

Got to thinking (always a dangerous thing with me) about Robert's comment on a "dual wing" setup, Roger. As you seem to have little need for your "surplus" wing, I will be happy to take it off your hands and help you free up space in your garage. My rates for this service are very reasonable, and I will even chip in for the shipping cost. If you could please PM me to verify that the colour is indeed Calypso Red, otherwise please arrange for a respray prior to shipping.

Am also seeking input on the best mounting location for the second wing. I feel that a bonnet mount would look fairly aggressive, but might produce forward visibility problems. Roof mounting would yield good central downforce on all four tyres, but could conceivably affect center of gravity parameters too greatly. An inverse mount as a rear diffuser replacement might be the ticket, but ground clearance (always an issue with the Esprit) then comes into play. One other possibility would be a 90 degree offset to provide better downforce on full drift cornering, but, of course, would only be effective in one lateral direction.

I'm certain that other members of the Forum can come up with other suggestions (please, keep the comments about the "men in white suites" carting me away to a minimum). :sofa:

Cheers,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

It is indeed calypso red, however I am hanging onto it, because if I ever sell the car some dipstick, wacko moron of questionable origin may like it!

PICT0169.jpg

That is not a good look.

Sorry not meant to be rude, please don't take offence.

Edited by Roger Harris

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Tisk, tisk, Mr Bond. Such commentary from an otherwise and heretofore sauve, debonair, sophisticated gentleman of the British Empire. I'm shocked.

Oh, and the extra "7" on your license plate didn't fool this old KGB operative one bit.

Nostrovia!

Ivan

p.s., Ever since you removed the wing, tracking your whereabouts has been somewhat more difficult. Please be extra careful not to jar the wing unduly, as it can damage the electronics.

For those hardy souls who have continued to read this ridiculous thread, Mr. Bond Harris added his "not meant to be rude" edit 10 minutes before (and unbeknownst to me) my post. He is indeed still a gentleman. :D

(but he should STILL put his wing back on!) :sofa:

I was considering removing mine on my SE! Can we see some pics with them removed.I do also like the S300 wing,I guess if I dont like mine wingless I could buy one of those! Someone should make a nice grommet for us to fill the hole,that way we can run the car both ways,depending on the mood!!!

Haha !!! We didnt end up buying the Lotus cheese knife or Lotus white platter plate, perhaps next time :) You can buy the Lotus picnic hamper complete for $950.00 :P

Wow, Kylie. That's a really great price for the Lotus picnic hamper! Did you get it through Kato? I thought I'd gotten a pretty good deal when I sent my $1,495.00 to "Steve" in Nigeria, but I haven't heard back from him in quite a while about a delivery date. Oddly, he would only accept a cashier's check--said Paypal was no good in Lagos.

Wing freak that I am, Travis, I have to admit that the "timeless" wedge shape of the Esprit looks striking with or without it.

Very nice!

I like the SE, S4, GT3, and V8 GT without wings.

But I really like the lines of the SE wing with my color. I kinda think the solid colors look more purposeful without a wing, and the metallic colors look more elegant with the wing.

I do like the V8 '98+ wing, but only on the V8. And the S4s/Sport 300 wing on those cars.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

I will admit Roger Harris's situation is noteworthy, I never much cared for 'that particular wing' and as someone else pointed out, it didn't look right on an older model anyway.

As for some of the other wing comments, I will not attempt to make any further points especially considering the related religious (ahem) statements. This tongue in cheekyness about it just makes the point I made earlier about there being little middle ground, like dark and/or black wheels, wings seem to be 'the other' touchy subject and pretty much everyone either loves them or hates them.

You know, no offense intended but lets dump fuel on the fire why don't we? I'm not one for caring what others think anyway

Lotus Factory visit 1979

Ready...Aim...

Well! If that's how you feel about it, Robert, I'm taking my wing and going home. :D

As one "rugged individualist" (in my own [delusional?] mind, anyway) to another, I too like to think that what others may think doesn't affect me (too greatly) either, but can still recognize some degree of "denial" in so stating. "No man is an island" it's said. Perhaps the best one can do, if that is your bent, is to be a "peninsula".

(deep philosophical mode, off) (maybe)

I rather enjoy the Forum's "thrust and parry", good natured (hopefully) repartee, and free exchange of ideas, controversial or not. Isn't that the point of any forum? Interspersed among the playful (again, hopefully interpreted as such) jabs at the preferences of others, there are often nuggets of information to be found. The use of satire, irony, and gentle sardonicism (yes, that's really a word) can be useful tools for stimulating deeper thought about a particular subject, even vehicular wings.

The important thing, if one chooses to use such methods, is to never take one's self too seriously. Life's too short to engage in inordinately extended debate about ANY subject (with the possible exception of whether imbibing warm beer is an unnatural act :) ).

Cheers and salutations,

John

• Gold FFM

Have watched this one with interest and amusement. I have a huge V8 picnic table (& chairs) on the back of my old 89 Turbo. That's how I bought it, and that's how it's staying! So yar boo sucks. How else would I attain any street cred amongst the baseball-capped GTI subwoofer-powered Renault Clio drivers?

Now, where did I put that neon kit.....?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Ready...Aim...

I rather enjoy the Forum's "thrust and parry", good natured (hopefully) repartee, and free exchange of ideas, controversial or not. Isn't that the point of any forum? Interspersed among the playful (again, hopefully interpreted as such) jabs at the preferences of others, there are often nuggets of information to be found.....

Here Here John. Banter kept to a respectable level.....all in good fun. I underestimated the temperature of the water again however, instead of getting hair raising comments regarding my Modenese machine I got surfboarding advice. You just never know, and that's half the entertainment in and of itself.

Well, I suppose if your car is so aerodynamically unstable that the only solution is to bolt a slab of broken surfboard on the back, then carry on....

:D:bounce:

Not sure I'd level that comment at the engineers of any of the multitude of marques who's working day is spent on the road circuits of the world. If that profession is making statements for the backwards ball cap boyracers of the world then I suppose there's A LOT more to racing than I thought.

Another tongue in cheek quip I have to share, a friend on another forum has the quote below as his signature, and I endured it for about 6 months until it finally became too much to endure anymore......He got several rounds from the smoothbore 88mm and then there was silence.

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"

It still bugs me each and everytime I see it, but considering the aftermath of my previous ordinance exercise I just smile and carry on.... :)

Lotus Factory visit 1979

I am delighted to have been of service, bringing taste, decorum and subtlety to the forum, in my never ending drive to rid the Esprit of rear wings. Us Esprit owners have no need to seek credibility "amongst the baseball-capped GTI subwoofer-powered Renault Clio drivers", we are the elite "Who do know the difference".

Stand up I say, be man, rid yourself of that security blanket, you don't need a wing, you own a Lotus!

There I feel at peace now. Roger :D

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

factory07010.jpg

factory07008.jpg

this car was at the factory last year, has two too many wings IMO

and some other two wingers........ i am sure some one posted a pic of an esprit with three wings once?....

twowing02.jpg

twowing01.jpg

Edited by Howard

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy