free hit
counters
Anyone actually drive with the roof panel off? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Anyone actually drive with the roof panel off?

shadeone

So in my almost 3 years of owning my 1990 se, the roof has come off once to check someting on a latch, but last night i took it out and stared at the car for a while. For some reason I just cant get over the fact that the car doesnt really look like it has a sunroof, it looks more like it is missing a panel like it having something repaired and is in the shop with a body piece removed or something. theres just something... "off"... about it when that top isnt there. I also never see any pictures of anyones car where the top is completely off either, its always just popped open.

so who actually drives with it off?

shade

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

becuase it so large, its just a shame the rails dont come out, roadster style.

i have a few times.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

do the rails really provide that much structural support? Im sure with some strengthening in some other places, a stevens esprit could be made into a removable top roadster... the complete convertible they made out of the g-cars was horrid beacuse they messed around too much with the back end, but i think the targa style would be awesome!

shade

shadeone:- i looked into having it done, the bodyshop said the screen would bend to much, and then refitting them after you might have to put your feet on the windscreen LOL

plus the top of the doors of course

Edited by karluk29

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

do the rails really provide that much structural support? Im sure with some strengthening in some other places, a stevens esprit could be made into a removable top roadster... the complete convertible they made out of the g-cars was horrid beacuse they messed around too much with the back end, but i think the targa style would be awesome!

shade

The heavier vari bodies (which excludes the hand laid specials like the 300 and 350) when properly mounted to the chassis, contribute about 40% to the overall torsional rigidity.

Think of how much more rigid a cardboard box becomes when it's closed compared to open. There is some additional channel strengthening around the hole for the liftout sunroof panel. Remove those rails and your Esprit would become more wobbly.

DanR

I love driving it that way, you can hear the engine note better.

Cheers

Agreed: with the caveat that there can be no rain in the forecast! In the times I have done it this summer I usually end up slightly deaf for the rest of the day...

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

You probably have 75% more sun than the rest of us :D

I too take it off as much as I can...

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Hi,

I've had mine fully out a couple of time, the major arse being you can only do it if your boot is empty. I tend to drive with it open most of the time, it does let in a nice amout of fresh air, and as I don't have air con it helps when its very hot weather.

Owen

:sofa:

Winter is actually the best time to have the roof out around here. In the summer, you are guaranteed to burn your scalp...

I find this doesn't happen so much if you have HAIR :D

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Sorry to spoil the trend but the Glass roof is the one thing I do not like about my car!

I have only ever taken it out once in 14 years! I've made a tailored lining for my which has been in place ever since. Don't like the light/heat it lets in - you lose the 'cocooned' effect that I love about the car with it off or unlined. Much prefer without a panel at all - Anyone made a GF/carbon roof panel for a G car they can have my glass one!

I know when they were introduced it was Lotus' answer to the 308/328's Targa panel and I'm sure was supposed to be an option but it seems virtually all the later G cars had them? Were they standard by then?

Edited by nello

Hi,

I've had mine fully out a couple of time, the major arse being you can only do it if your boot is empty. I tend to drive with it open most of the time, it does let in a nice amout of fresh air, and as I don't have air con it helps when its very hot weather.

Owen

Does it get 'very hot' in the UK? We can get 45 deg celsius here. What's 'very hot' mean Owen?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.