free hit
counters
Stupid alarm - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Stupid alarm

When I got my car, the PO only had one keyfob and one of the manual 'stick' chips that disarms the alarm by touching it to the spot behind the shifter. The keyfob has never worked, for either arming/disarming the system or locking/unlocking the doors. It has not been an issue as I've just touched to chip to disarm the system. That is until this weekend, when I dropped my keys and broke the chip. I now have no way of disarming the immobilizer.

Questions

1) I've heard that both the fob and chip unavailable from either Lotus or Cobra. Is this true?

2) The keyfob light comes on when I hit either of the buttons, suggesting the battery is good. Is it possible it lost its programming? If so, how do I reprogram it?

3) What are my other options?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) I've heard that both the fob and chip unavailable from either Lotus or Cobra. Is this true?

I think Lotus can provide everthing - fob, cylindrical programming unit and even the keys (they're laser cut) using your car's VIN if you provide the relevant documents to prove you own the car. But they charge a lot of

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

I talked with Lotus last night and it would appear I'm screwed. Apparently Lotus cannot program the cylinder's anymore, so the solution is to replace the alarm! They were very good though, as the US rep is currently in the UK and called me at what must have been 11:00 in the evening for him. He did tell me how to defeat the immobilizer so I can at least get the car started.

There was a mention of a gentleman on the west coast that had a programmer, Larry Marcella, that may be able to help. Has anybody heard of him?

OK, although Lotus can't do the work themselves, it turns out that their recommendation will work out for me. Larry Marsala at Add Lightness Motorsports in CA can program a new touch stick if I send my alarm and fobs to him. If anybody else has a similar issue, PM me and I'll get you the contact info

I talked with Lotus last night and it would appear I'm screwed. Apparently Lotus cannot program the cylinder's anymore, so the solution is to replace the alarm! They were very good though, as the US rep is currently in the UK and called me at what must have been 11:00 in the evening for him. He did tell me how to defeat the immobilizer so I can at least get the car started.

There was a mention of a gentleman on the west coast that had a programmer, Larry Marcella, that may be able to help. Has anybody heard of him?

OK, although Lotus can't do the work themselves, it turns out that their recommendation will work out for me. Larry Marsala at Add Lightness Motorsports in CA can program a new touch stick if I send my alarm and fobs to him. If anybody else has a similar issue, PM me and I'll get you the contact info

Was in Lotus in the US who can't help, or in the UK, or both?

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

• 4 years later...

Bringing up this post, as I can't get any of the fobs to work. Same situation as this. I can use the immobilizer key to disable the alarm and start the car, but the fob won't work. I have 2 fobs with new batteries in them and I go through the sequence to sync them and the lights do as they're supposed to. However when I turn off the ignition, neither do anything. I don't understand what's wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Where are you located TJ?

I can't help with the specifics of your particular reprogramming issue, but there is a lot of info here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320/

SirLotus (Michael) supplied me with an additional key fob and key fob cover by mail and it programmed correctly in my case.  He is located in Florida if this is easier for you?  He also mentioned that if I wanted new touch keys and the system re-programmed he could do it if I mailed him the main box under the passenger dash.  I didn't require reprogramming as I managed to source both touch keys from the previous owner.  Anyway, highly recommended as a supplier if you are in the 'States.

HTH

Stu

Stu Calgary Alberta ' 69 Plus 2 '0 0 Esprit V8

It was a error on my part. Had the antenna plugged into the wrong port on the alarm unit. Explains why when I finally got the fobs programmed it would only respond about a foot from the car. Got it in the right port and all functions as normal. Thanks though!!

Edited by Ruff Ryder 6