free hit
counters
Freescan on a Mac - ECU/Freescan/Espritmon - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Freescan on a Mac

S4Esprit

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buddy,

I asked a question along these lines ages ago and didn't get a reply. I actually asked what needed to be done to port it to the mac since it's written in C++ I believe, but easier to go your way I think, Have you tried it and it doesn't work?

Michael.

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Yeah, it acts like it's working but it isn't actually receiving any information. I've tried all the usual stuff to get it to communicate but no dice.

I'd love to get this working. The whole 'carputer' I just installed is gonna seem kinda pointless if there's no Freescan!

The other really, really cool use of Freescan on a Mac carputer is: last night I had my brother share my desktop over iChat. He was at home in Ohio, trying to get Freescan to work in my car in California. If I'd had a mic in the car we could've chatted back and forth simultaneously as well, as I could hear him over my car speakers. Moral of the story (assuming I can get Freescan working) - real-time remote diagnostics just became a reality for me. Now if only I could find somebody with a Mac that knows how to read Freescan logs! :innocent:

Edited by S4Esprit

I've used freescan with Bootcamp and XP2 on my Macbook Pro. I remember not getting anywhere until I switched it to Interact mode in the "Freescan Operation Mode" window. I think. It's been a while. Maybe someone else can chime in. But it does work. I haven't tried it with Parallels, but I assume it would work there as well.

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg

Had Freescan working in both Boot camp and Parallels but you need a decent serial to USB adaptor, one that uses the FTDI chip! so it handles the RS232 communication properly

I found under Parallels Freescan did seem more unstable, a friend told me he found that 'VM ware' was far more stable than Parallels.

Edited by internets

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

That's true. Where did you get the cable for your computer? Did it include the driver necessary to work over serial? I bought my cable from akmcables. It was reasonable, went from USB to the car, and came with the driver too.

http://www.akmcables.com/ccard.htm

Look about half way down for Lotus MEFI USB

Edited by rogue_s1

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/shop/

Cables are available from LEF!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I bought a semi-pricey USB to Serial adapter at Fry's. I'll have to take a better look at it and see if the manufacturer has any downloadable drivers.

TBH I doubt it will work, I have tested many different leads on project's at work and the only ones that work have the FTDI chipset. I would buy one from Bibs as he / someone has already done the leg work and you know it will plug and play,

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

If anybody knows anybody who has a good sense for this stuff I'm willing to pay to get it working. I don't know enough about the inner workings of Freescan to know why it doesn't want to talk to me. I've tried all the tricks in my book.

Added bonus: if you've got a Mac - you can control the computer attached to my car through iChat. Don't even need to leave your house. Let me know when you're ready, I'll fire up the rig, turn they key on and you can have an it from anywhere in the world.

Let me know if you wanna give it a try. Thanks!

Edited by S4Esprit