free hit
counters
S4s Engine turns but not firing on cylinders - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
KVJ 786

S4s Engine turns but not firing on cylinders

HI newbi here

Anyone experts out there can help with this, was working around the starter motor area and got starter motor working. Since then engine wil not fire but cranks ok. :cool:

Had removed battery terminal several time and reconnected back correctly.

Never had starting probs ever before and car is 1995 S4S. :innocent:

Also reading forum i hear Freescan mention for pc what is that?

Please advise

Thanks guys

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome!

Not sure, but if it's the same as my old Carb Turbo, there's ignition circuit wiring around there. Look for a disconnected plug near the distributor.

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Ohhh, the times I've done that...

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

Hi

You could try sticking a spark plug on each lead in turn, put the lead and plug on top of your chargecooler to get an earth, and check for a spark.

Press the schrader type valve (with the cap on it) at the end of the fuel rail to make sure there is fuel there, shield your eyes.

There is also a procedure in the service notes that involves lifting the fuel rail and injectors out enough that you should be able to see the fuel being sprayed from each injector. I think the chargecooler might need to be moved to do this.

Frankly I think you are better looking for a spark and fuel before you start playing with Freescan. You can purchase a lead from the LEF shop for about

Edited by Nigel

Hi everyone

Thanks for your response to my problem.

I have checked the cut out switch and still no go. I have noticed something else in the tell tale lights the CHECK ENGINE light does not light up when ignition key is turned.

Have checked for fuel flow from fuel filter ( next to the cut off switch) seems there is no pressure for fuel to the injectors.

If battery terminals are removed then I assume ECU should also reset to default?

When key is turned on I can hear the usual pumps working no odd changes in that at all.

My friend who looked at it thinks the alarm imobiliser has cut in for some unknown reason, like the car will turn but not start.

Any further thoughts wuold be appreciated greatly.

Thanks

Fingers crossed for a quick fix!!

On my S4s i had the same fault after a changed my clutch, which involved a lot of work around the gearbox/engine block interface, and the starter motor.

I had the same fault as you, and after extensive fault finding found that one of the earths from the ECU was missing.

It turned out to be an earth (well several) that terminated at a ring crimp attached to one of the bellhousing bolts, near to the starter motor.

Once reconnected, fired up straight away.

So go look for about 3 black wires that dont seem to go anywhere!!

Hopefully this is it!!!

Good luck

Glyn

Hi on my S4s when you turn ignition switch on you should hear the fuel pump priming along with the purge valve and vac pump(dependent on ventilation switch position),on mine i have had the fuel pump expire twice in as many years,if you have no fuel pressure at the scrhader valve then i would either suspect the pump or as your friend says maybe you do have an immobiliser that has cut the pumps live feed,check relays and fuses that protect the fuel circuit.

Cheers

Nick S4s...............if its the pump it just so happens i have a brand new fuel pump assembly in my garage looking for a home !

Simplest things first.

Check the plug connection and wiring on the flywheel crank sensor on the top of the bell housing and check the ground wire that Glyn mentioned above.

If you still have no fuel pressure, pull the carpeted trim panel under the quarter window on the right side to access the fuel pump in the top of the right hand fuel tank and check to see if it's running. The pump will only run for 2-3 seconds when the ignition is switched to the on position. When the starter is engaged, the ECM looks for the correct signal from the crank sensor and then energises the fuel pump again to ignite the engine.

Be sure to let us know what you find and good luck.

1995 S4s

Good point Jim,but it should still have fuel pressure at the schraeder valve,my fuel pump wiring had actually burnt out inside the fuel tank and this didnt cause the fuse to blow (tadge worrying!).

Nick S4s

post-28-1221533829.jpg

Simplest things first.

Hi Glyn and Jim

I am glad you mentioned about the earth wires. While I was desperately looking around that area I have traced the offending wires ( 3 Black ones ) but I did not know where they came from.

The end of this 3 wires seems there should be a connector crimped, but it is broken and the cable is very short.

Tomorrow I will look for the connecting point as it is possible this is the trouble maker, because my buddy was proding his spanner around that area to get to the starter nut from the top.

By the way Jim where in Florida are you?

Glyn I am originally from the UK, Gillingham, Kent now residing in Kissimmee Florida. I shipped my LHD Federal Spec Lotus from the UK about 7 years ago to my brother in Miami.

I will post my fix and will let you know if that worked. Fingers crossed

Thanks again guys

Ameer,

Those 3 wires are your problem. That's the ground wire that Glyn was referring to. It should have a ring terminal on the end and be grounded to a bell housing bolt near the crank sensor.

I'm in Orlando.

Check your PM. A few local guys are getting together tonight and you're welcome to come.

Jim

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

Hi glyn and Jim

Both your options were good. I have got the offending wires recrimped and bolted to the nut, and guess what she fired up first time lol. ;) PS learnt never let anyone touch car again who are rough in thier work.

But my original problem is still not sorted that is my starter motor, it sticks after it gets cold. so it is no good as my buddy was trying to get it out but couldn't hence why the problem of cables getting disturbed. He says the nuts are very stiff need air gun to remove, i dont believe that myself. I have managed to do lots with this car without special tools.

Also noticed when i took it for spin the oil pressure gauge does not register, so came back and looked around the oil filter area found a cable ( brown with white ) with a connector doing nothing. I noticed that there is a canister buried over the oil filter area which has a spade connector, wonder if the cable should go there. very hard to see the unit but i guess it can only fit to that being close by. please advise if thats the case.

Lastly how dificult is it to get the starter motor out.? I have a new replacement here with me but it looks different from the one on the car. wiring is the same but physically looks different. Thats what SJ Sports cars in UK sent for my S4S when I ordered it months ago. Question is will it fit.? infact it looks like the one shown in the lotus fact file on how to change starter motor.

Thanks again guys

Ameer

On the oil pressure gauge, you probably pulled or broke the wire loose going to the sender.

Starter motor is not that difficult. If you want to bring your car to my shop in Altamonte, I'll help you swap it out. Shouldn't take more than an hour or so.

Jim

1995 S4s

I am so pleased that i have been able to help you out. I know it took me many hours to find the offending wires!!

I know that its back to your original problem, but its all part of the learning process!!!

All the best

Glyn

Hello,

It appears I have a similar problem — although for me it's intermittent. I have already checked the relays ignition (front and rear boots) and I would be curious to have a look at those three wires you were talking about. Where can I find them exactly? I had a quick look from the upper side and the underneath but haven't found them?!

Thanks in advance!

PS: my exact symptoms are that sometimes I have neither pumps nor tell tales, but the starter turns OK. I am going to look at the wirings in the workshop manual, but I am still curious about that 3 black wires ... !

Edited by Giniw

At the top bolt of the clutch cover (bell housing) buried under the wiring/hoses, see the green arrow

GROUND.jpg

1995 S4s

I have to remove the oil filter on mine to remove the starter motor, but the motor is longer than the lotus one.

On 26/06/2017 at 18:16, Giniw said:

Hello,

It appears I have a similar problem — although for me it's intermittent. I have already checked the relays ignition (front and rear boots) and I would be curious to have a look at those three wires you were talking about. Where can I find them exactly? I had a quick look from the upper side and the underneath but haven't found them?!

Thanks in advance!

PS: my exact symptoms are that sometimes I have neither pumps nor tell tales, but the starter turns OK. I am going to look at the wirings in the workshop manual, but I am still curious about that 3 black wires ... !

My relays in the rear tray were loose(difficult to see or feel unless the spades are exposed) and would cause the car to be intermittent when starting ,i removed all relays took the tray apart and tightened each spade grip and cured the problem.Worth a try

Simplest things first.

Thank you very much, I indeed moved a bit those wires when I tried to access the flywheel TDC sensor hole.
Would you suggest to remove the boot floor to have a better view of that area?

I will also check the relays again even if I don't think they are the source of my problem because I had to remove the front and rear ignition relays to simulate the problem. I gather it is far too improbable that both fails and recover at the exact same time ...!