free hit
counters
'V8 evolution ' - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Günter

'V8 evolution '

what's the story behind that 'cylinder de engagement' and the ' variable cam setting' note. I think i missed to much from the technical displays on the 60th celebration last weekend. Could not manage to talk with Mr. Angus... .

Sounds quite interesting what was planed with our beloved V8's !! :dizzy:

( :no Before rumors about an all new Esprit with an external sourced V8 made it all worthless..)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/...57607360274583/

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Did you see the comment about potential variants including a 280bhp naturally aspirated and about 420bhp with an intercooler version? It also said the intercooler version would have 347lbft! I wonder what transmission/transaxle they were going to use.

Also I wonder here the intercooler would have located and how it was going to be piped. Maybe sitting on top of the engine like the current Exige or maybe like the new ZR1 corvette (incorporated into the intake manifold).

Interesting

JoeyO

2001 V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

You need to remember that Lotus didn't do the 918 engine for the Esprit. Only when the car it was being designed for fell through, did they decide to utilise the engine in the Esprit. They also tried to offer the 918 to other manufactures, but were only successful with AC (of Cobra fame), where the engineering director just happened to be the guy who had help design the 918 when he worked at Lotus. Sadly, AC went bust before they could sell lots of cars with the Lotus engine. If I remember correctly they only made 2 of them.

From the documentation I read Lotus claimed that they would leave a variable valve head until there was demand for it. Bearing in mind that the Esprit gear box wasn't up to the de-tunned 918 torque, there was no reason for Lotus to spend the development costs in producing a head that gave more torque/power. If only Lotus could have found a gear box that was able to take more torque.

So the question of the day is.....Wat car was it, in which the engine was originally planned to work ???

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

The V8 engine was originally conceived for a front engined rear wheel drive (possibly 2+2) model. Unfortunately the project was canned due to a lack of funds, so the factory was left with an engine and nothing apart from the Esprit to put it in.