free hit
counters
Outer Sills - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to agree with Malc - I started to remove one of mine to blast the metal bracket which holds the handbrake and then after drilling 3 of the rivets out decided against it.

Cheers, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Paul, did you also make an "inspection hole" to get to the handbrake braket? I was looking at removing the sill to get to the handbrake braket, but after looking at how the sill was kept in position it seemed that the air outlet in the engine compartment was fibre glassed in position. I wasn't going to break that!

Regards

Brandt

Had to remove the handbrake bracket from my S2 as one of the lever mounting bosses had broken off. Drilled out the rivets and used a paint scraper to separate the outer sill from the body along the bottom. Then I could separate the outer sill from the body enough to get my hand in and the odd tool to get the bracket out and, when repaired, back in. It wasn't comfortable but it was possible.

New rivets and running some resin along the joint had it all back together.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Hi Brandt

No I didn't make any holes. When I took my handbrake off one of the bolts snapped in half with the rusted bit left in the bracket. I was able to drill down the centre of the bolt and then re-tap a new thread in the hole so I didn't need to get at the bracket in the end. I would have liked to have blasted the bracket but it looked to be more grief than it was worth.

Regards, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

When I resprayed my 82 turbo, the sills were the only panels I didn't remove...I had a good look at them and decided that it would be a difficult task and I would cause lots of damage getting them off..it seemed better to leave them in situ. Having said that, the hours and hours of laying beside the car attacking the sills with wetordri of various grades, and the manipulation of the spraygun to get into the orifices.....many times I wished I HAD taken them off!! Without the air intake on the turbo the job would be easier..I think I'd leave them on in your case; if I had to do mine again...well, the jury's still out!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein