free hit
counters
RC Engineering Injectors - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
WhiteSea

RC Engineering Injectors

I am thinking about replacing the injectors with RC Engineering ones on my V8 due to warm start problems.

Can anyone advise on the correct RC injector to use ? Would it be the SL4-270, with the following spec

Type Saturated

Flow Rate 270cc / MIN @ 43.5 PSI

26 LBS / HR @ 43.5.PSI

Resist 12.5 Ohms @ 68 F

Voltage 8 - 15 Volts, nominal 13.5 Volts

Amps 1.0 Amps

Pressure Min 30 PSIG / Max 100 PSIG

Would the replacements for the primary injectors be the PL2-370, with the following spec

Type Peak & Hold

Flow Rate 370cc / MIN @ 43.5 PSI

35 LBS / HR @ 43.5.PSI

Resist 2.5 Ohms @ 68 F

Voltage 8 - 15 Volts, nominal 13.5 Volts

Amps Peak 4.0 Amps / Hold 1.5 Amps

Pressure Min 30 PSIG / Max 100 PSIG

Car is a 2000 V8-GT fitted with Marcus' RED Race ECU, reflowed turbos, with Larini CATS / Exhaust.

Any help would be appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I found some pics of the secondary injectors here => http://www.wcengineering.com/esprit/fuelinj.html

Clicking on the pic enlarges it and from there you can pick up the part no. D3764BA. A quick google on this takes you to a BMW M5 forum where it is confirmed this is the SL4-270.

Maybe someone can comment if injectors with a 270cc flow rate are ok, or if 240cc should be used ????

I've not got involved in the V8 engine, but does it have secondar injectors? if so then it would appear there is only one item listed.

Given the fact Marcus lists 2 items for the primary ones, the set of 4 for the 4 pot and set of 8 for the V8, I would guess there is a difference for those, so would recommend buying them from Marcus. At least you know it's good service.

The flow rates have to be the same as the stockers... otherwise you'll have to remap the ecu to compensate for the injector flow changes.

If I remember correctly the RC SL2-0240 injectors provide slightly more fuel at max (6%) than the standard injectors. Fortunately, the ECU is intelligent enough to adjust the duty cycle (as it does all the time to get the correct air fuel mix) by adjusting the short & long term trim %.

Craig,

Please note that the RC flow rates above are based on 43.5 psi where the V8 Esprit runs 50psi. Hence the smaller 240 injector rather than the 270 one.

Regards,

Peter.

Edited by peter_england99

Personally I would buy Bosch injectors over RC... for price alone.

I know of someone who replaced their V8 injectors for about 1/2 the cost of RC with BOSCH from http://www.fiveomotorsport.com

Call the owner Bruce

Ask him about

8 primary injectors, high impedance 240cc/min (23lb/hr) top feed square plug BOSCH injectors.

and 2 secondary injectors that are low impedance 550cc/min (52lb/hr) side feed (or galley fed) injectors with the square plug.

I'm sure he can recommend something.

I've replaced all of my 4Cyl Esprit SE injectors with BOSCH from FiveO

I found some pics of the secondary injectors here => http://www.wcengineering.com/esprit/fuelinj.html

Clicking on the pic enlarges it and from there you can pick up the part no. D3764BA. A quick google on this takes you to a BMW M5 forum where it is confirmed this is the SL4-270.

Maybe someone can comment if injectors with a 270cc flow rate are ok, or if 240cc should be used ????

Those are the secondary injectors for the Esprit SE-S4s and GT3.

Crap, I've lost the ability to edit my post.

Correction: The V8 Secondaries do not have square connectors.

They should look like this.

832-11151_4.jpg

just as an note: my opinion is also that an 'bigger' injector can always be activated less, to compensate the air/fuel mix and the long term/short term trim. In the other way round you get more problems - as it totally clear that an small sized injector needs more time do do what he is intent for (in case you want more fuel ...) .

PS. some of you know I'm still in the project to update my 'special fuel' system, or more exactly to replace the standard injectors and the additional blackbox wiring with more suitable injectors. Bud haven't bought them jet.

Craig-All in all, i would say slightly bigger injectors can do it ! as long as mounting face, the connector and the Ohm-type is right.

Have you searched Opel Calibra injectors ??, as they have the right types but with more flow rate...

Thanks, I will check with Bruce @ Five-O to see what he comes up with. If the price is 1/2 that of the RC's then I'll probably go for it.

The BOSCH are fine injectors.

Even RC Engineering, who prefer Lucas, will attest that the BOSCH are very good reliable injectors.

read this http://suprasonic.org/public_html/sonictec...ors/RCtech.html

Let him know it is for a Lotus Esprit V8.

If you are planning mods, some of the 4 cyl guys like to increase secondary injector size, rather than primaries, so the low speed drive ability isn't ruined, but the system will be able to deliver more fuel under high rpm, high boost, high throttle conditions. Not sure if the V8 ECU options deliver the same... Marcus would though.

I've added enough mods. This will be the last thing I do, except to upgrade the brakes and perhaps change the flywheel to get rid of the terrible clutch judder.

For anyone that is interested I have ordered the following injectors from Five-O-Motorsport.

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsMODS.asp#bosch19

They are the C302 Ford Racing injectors which have a flow rate of 220cc @ 43.5 PSI, which once in the Esprit V8 will run at 235cc @ 50 PSI.

Total cost was $ 329.50 for a set of 8 and $ 45 shipping to the UK. Total cost in GBP was

Had a dig around these injectors, I'm thinking that I might replace mine with better ones at some point, @Barrykearley now I know I have a gearbox that can take it it is time to plan some more oomph... :whistle:

From the above it looks as though the Bosch injectors are fine, don't need to splash out for RC Engineering ones.

FiveO Motorsports in the US still do the Bosch ones:

http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/oem-fuel-injectors-0280156013

Fuel Injector: Bosch OEM UPGRADE 24 LBS Grey Knight 0280156211 CORVETTE CAMARO TRANS AM 5.7; Lotus 3.5 V-8; Porsche 911 3.6

Ah, Porker 911 too!

A bit of a Google and wahey! They are also used on...

MGZT / ROVER 75 1.8 16v & 1.8 16v TURBO PETROL FUEL INJECTOR (BOSCH 0280156211)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGZT-ROVER-75-1-8-16v-1-8-16v-TURBO-PETROL-FUEL-INJECTOR-BOSCH-0280156211-/271036281514 (ended)

Here's a set for $369 in the US, should be easy to source them in the UK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-8-BRAND-NEW-Bosch-Fuel-Injectors-0280156211-1997-2005-GM-5-7L-VIN-G-S-/201469612612

:animier:

• Like 1

How can you test your old injectors to see if they are working?

28 minutes ago, superdavelotus said:

How can you test your old injectors to see if they are working?

Google is your friend Dave B-)

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-test-a-fuel-injector

Plus the ECM monitors the injectors, if there is a fault with one of them you should get a problem code.

Hi Alan,

I've seen videos like this before but it doesn't cater for when you have a huge plenum in the way! How can you run the engine when you've taken the plenum off?

David

1 hour ago, swindon_alan said:

Plus the ECM monitors the injectors, if there is a fault with one of them you should get a problem code.

Indeed! Duh!

More to the point is the above. You could still take them out and measure the resistance though?

I am not sure using the Bosch 0 280 156 211 injectors are a good idea on a stock ecu. They have about 18% more flow so you could easily start hitting the rich error limit and get error codes P0172 and P0175 as the long term fuel trim margin is vastly reduced. Also, they are 14.5 ohms and the stock are 12 ohms.

Hi Alan,

I have no fault codes but suspect jammed injector/s or wiring to them or ECU or primary fuel pump. Primary and secondary pumps prime OK, just don't know what pressures they pump out without the right tools. Jammed injectors don't always give you an ECL.

David