free hit
counters
Larini Stainless Steel CATS - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Larini Stainless Steel CATS

Has anyone else had an issue with Larini's cats ? I managed to split one in two last week when taking my Esprit for a test drive after having dump valves fitted.

Luckily Larini have a lifetime warranty and sent a courier to pick them up. The problem would seem to be that the engine jumps around a lot and there is no give. David at Larini is building in a flexi section to allow for this movement. I'll see what they are like once I get them fitted.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this problem with mine about 18 months ago on my first Esprit. One side split initially, the 'tail' downstream of the cat detaching itself completely. On inspection the weld only seemed to go a third of the way around, the rest seemingly held together by the plating. It was sent back to Larini and welded up. Everything was fine for a couple of months and then they both went after a long weekend down South, a 700 mile round trip. The side that broke previously had split 'upstream' of the cat, leaving a stub at the turbo and the cat flapping in the wind. The other had split at the down stream end, as the first did. Once again they were welded up and ran OK for a few months before my next trip down South, the fateful January morning when I spun it on black ice and wrote the car off......

Hard to tell what the problem was, but I would agree that engine movement does seem to worry these cats. The second repair involved replacement of what was a two piece section up stream of the cat with a one piece section, removing one of the joints. That seemed to cure it but of course I have no idea how long they would have lasted as my accident actually shifted the engine a few inches and on inspection they had both split again.....

Edited by hedgerley

It wasn't local Craig - I was down South heading for the Autosport show in Birmingham. Lost it on the A1 North of Berwick. Full story here:

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=14129

As you can see, I'm a glutton for punishment and promptly bought another one.

Edited by hedgerley

Same problems with my Larini Cats!! I am in the USA...Larini said they would reweld or replace but the shipping costs which I had to pay for were excessive so I had them repaired here.

The drivers side broke downstream of the Cat and detached completely. It also had a crack developing right upstream of the Cat at the attachment after the bend from the turbo. The passenger side had a similar crack.

Upon inspection, we found the tail piece not properly welded in place...also about 2/3 way around. I had all rewelded and have had no issues. I also installed different silicone rubber type hangers exhaust hangers which allow much less movement. This seems to have helped. The fabricator feels that the flat plane crank causes excessive vibration which could be causing the issue. However, I haven't heard of any stock cats fracturing like this? I have had no issues since but I have only driven about 1500 miles. My next option would be to weld in a very short flex pipe somewhere, probably after the Cat.

I'm curious to know what Larini will do with yours for a fix? Please let us know. Thanks.

Guys, a couple of questions to run past you:

Do you think the current Hyper-Flow design is susceptible to such splitting?

http://www.hyper-flow.com/lotus.htm

Also, if the stock cats had no give, why was it able to hold out with the engine movements without splitting?

I'm very interested in this topic, as both my stock cats are rattling.

I think the cracking has to do with the quality/thickness of the stainless and the welds. As noted both with my observation and others above, the welds on the Larini's appeared inadequate. I can't comment on the Hyperflows as I have never seen them.

As for the stock cats, they are a heavier material and the welds are significant compared to the Larinis. If I had it to do over again, I would probably just cut the old cats out of the stock pipes and weld in some metalic 200 cpi high flows!

Looking forward to the pix of the fix Larini sends you WhiteSea...I'm curious as hell now!!

I agree - it was the welds that gave up on mine. The steel is actually quite thick. In fact I remember posting how high quality they were when they first arrived compared to stock. Of course the plating hid the welds but to give Larini credit they did make the repairs without quibling.

• 2 years later...

Completely forgot about this post. Car has been off the road since I split the cats as I managed to screw the engine at the same time. Only getting around to fixing it now.

Has anyone else has problems with Larini cats ? I've yet to see how my modified units work, but I'll find out in a couple of months when I get the car back on the road.

I've uploaded the images anyway....

post-4931-0-20225400-1308601081_thumb.jp