free hit
counters
Headlight upgrades any? and where from - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Headlight upgrades any? and where from

OK, i guess even the 'four high beam' wiring sheme can not beat the xenon-lights ;-)

but as I've read the 'modification advice' in LEW tech section & LEF, i have tried it -and it's really more light than before... (and the cheapest way to get some more *lux* or candela -or what ever you may call it out of the front !! )

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

is this 'low beam' in your picture !? looks good enough for my point of view... .

4 'high beam' is only an option for me as I'm tend to drive sometimes over night (with German motorway speed!) back home from club gathering across Germany (that means it's good to see potential dangers -like police cars :animier: early..)

IIRC the Esprit headlights are the same as the Elise S1 (but with sidelamp bulbs that can be removed).

I got my LHD set from elise-shop.com

They also do HID conversion sets too, the owner is pretty knowledgeable on Esprits too so should be able to advise on what will fit.

Like Pete, I replaced the concave ones on my car with salvage Elise units. Just needed to remove the mounting ring from the old units and fix them onto the new ones. 1 hours work and a damn site cheaper than trying to find Esprit units.

I have never bothered with upgrades, I have only driven the Esprit at night a few times and just take it easy when I do, so not an issue for me really.

HID seems a hell of a lot of hassle to go to when you can do the four lamp main beam conversion, along with 100W bulbs for a fraction of the cost and effort and still have very similar illumination. Sounds like an upgrade just for the sake of keeping up with the latest technology

Malc

Sky, there is an combined bulb in one of the lights -so anyway, maybe it's not perfect (because of the glass structure on the headlight..) but you get some more light out of your car. That was all what i wanted -and it works for me... :-))

I've had an T

thats the point with those 'sealed beam' US lights -no approval for the European market !

As many others have said: Elise lights is the way to go, or you could try to contact 'cibie/valeo' -but best other option is Steve @SJ-portscars, as he does have the Europe 'continental' versions and the UK versions in offer..

i know, its quite long i mailed with Jay he can for him order E marked lights for US price:) so no idea what they inventing :animier:

i think i got last Es from SJ in fall

Edited by SKY

http://www.lotus-club.cz

lccz_banner.gif

Your 6 is my 12.

http://www.voodoo-world.cz

--------------------------------

• 3 months later...

Geday everyone, just bumping this thread up again and wondered if anyone else has upgraded to Xenon lights. One of my lights is out, yet to meter it but wondered in case it were one of the sealed units what path I should take next. I will be driving it after hrs in the dark during the week as daylight savings has ended now its coming into winter here booo! So I was looking to tart them up a bit. :D

Edited to add those of you have done it, could you be so kind to list part numbers please. Are these std lumination? I need to make sure they will be of course legal ! :)

Edited by kyliesmith.com
350.gifNo.23

what part next !?

replace the fuse, or replace the bulb -would wonder if your UK car really does have 'sealed beam' ? (that's not common in European cars)

Kylie,

This is what I did...

First upgrade to Halogen Lamps:

Outer (5 3/4" H4, Low & High Beam) - Hella 71456

Inner (5 3/4' H1, High Beam) - Hella 71156

You can use the bulbs supplied w/the lamps...it'll be much much much brighter than stock sealed beams...

If you wish to go brighter, you can choose some brighter Halogen Bulbs, Philips, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra...etc...don't get the bulbs that has any blue tint because it'll be much worse than your stock seal beams & can be dangerous at night.

And if you want Super bright low beams, go with HID...drop in an HID conversion kit...there should be plenty out there to choose from, just get an H4 HID kit that works for both low beam & high beam...I personally choose a kit that has 2 bulbs for the bulb assembly, a Halogen for high beam & HID for the low beam. That'll be plug and play. Use some metal to hold the ballast bracket in place. Then slide in the ballast...Connect the harness...should be easy

See these photos:

http://cid-c4a228065186ea46.skydrive.live....186EA46!350

BTW, I'm not sure if my set up is legal in New Zealand. :D

Hope this helps...

Alan

• 2 months later...

or remove the pop ups, find a new nsx/c5 vette conversion, and throw them in instead lol.

one day i will do that

(trouble is with the nsx ones, its a rare car to start with and damn expensive lol)

Edited by karluk29

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

I'm trying to get my hands on a set of LED Headlights. Apparantly, they should be on the market by September in the UK (for left, and right hand drive vehicles) and they can also be fitted to the Esprit.

A set is quite expensive, but seems to have a nice light output. The units replace the reflector assembly completely (4,75" sealed beam like headlights)

Regards, Ruud-Peter

Hi Colin,

I can supplied a 4x dipped/main beam headlight kit for you. Trouble is that if you fit them it will be at your own risk. I haven't a clue if the wiring is upto it. Also you'll need to sort your own wiring so that the inner headlights get power for the dipped main same as the outers.

PM me and I'll sort a price out. They will be H4 for both inners and outers.

Is there any reason why you want to do this as I don't think it's legal? Have you tried 100W bulbs, they transform the existing headlights? Also I've sold quite a few Xenon kits too!

Personally for the small amount of night driving I do, I've stuck with the 100W bulbs. Also you need a 4 headlight relay so all your headlights come on with main beam. No modifications required, just pull the old relay and fit a new one for

Edited by superdavelotus

• 4 weeks later...

They look hand made to me using the original rear light cluster, blanking it out and cutting a load of rholse in it with a hole saw then fitting round lights to them. The front look like standard 52mm projector beams you can buy from any motor factor thesedays with those silly lazy eye relays fitted so the pods doesn't come all the way up.

I have similar rear lights (actually better ones) on my site I can sell on their own if you wish to have a try. They are an inner ring and outer ring. I can also supply just the inner rings so you get the reverse and fogs if you want?

David