free hit
counters
Lotus Europa S +electric = Dodge EV - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Lotus Europa S +electric = Dodge EV

Vulcan Grey

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"the Dodge ev looks to be based on the Lotus Europa"

Noooooooooooooooo, you think ? :welcome:

Cracks me up, but how do car companies get away with taking a Lotus and putting a new drive train in it and calling it a Dodge ?

I mean the Tesla is an Elise with some re-styling (looks good imo) but this, is just a clone with a new power plant and a new badge, you think they could have done something creative with the styling to at least try and make it somewhat original.

Electric Europa, sounds more appealing than the Tesla to me, hope Lotus are also getting a sizable packet for the use of their car !

facebook = [email protected]

On the subject of the Tesla I was at a trade show / conference yesterday where one of the delegates had brought along a Tesla from Hethel.

I have seen them before, but talking to the guy from Tesla (very knowledgable / enthusiastic) I was really sold on the idea of electric cars.

The 0 to 60 has of 4 seconds has often been quoted, but what I had not really thought about is how easy / accessible the performance is. To do a good 0 to 60 in the Esprit you have to warm up the engine, get the revs right, get the clutch slip / wheel spin just right and then do a perfect gear change. In a Tesla you just bury your right foot.

According to the guy from Tesla it is not in fact the 0 to 60 that impresses most its the overtaking speeds 30 to 50 and 50 to 70 which are the fastest of any road car tested according to a US magazine.

The other deeply impressive thing was that we were at the Williams F1 site near oxford and he was driving the car back to Hethel - that must be 200 miles.

The big downside for me of the car though is the cost if you want one in the UK - its more in pounds than in dollars.

If Lotus can make an electric Evora, Esprit or Europa at a sensible price then I will be at the front of the queue...

Alan

Lotus have teamed up with Ecotricity - the outfit about to plant wind turbines at Hethel - to produce an electric Exige. Apparently the CEO is a petrolhead and wants to move into electric vehicles.

BTW, Tesla would argue, with some justification, that the Sportster is not simply a restyled Elise. There are significant differences in the chassis and packaging.

I was thinking that the new Chrysler Electric could be called the Chrysla... or Chresla? :dizzy:

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Lotus have teamed up with Ecotricity - the outfit about to plant wind turbines at Hethel - to produce an electric Exige. Apparently the CEO is a petrolhead and wants to move into electric vehicles.

Cool - odd that they are doing this with the Exige (old platform) not on the VVA chassis (new platform) though.

BTW, Tesla would argue, with some justification, that the Sportster is not simply a restyled Elise. There are significant differences in the chassis and packaging.

According to the guy from Tesla only 7% of the parts that make up their car are the same as the Elise (part of the chassis, windscreen etc). Obviously the outer panels are all different and carbon fibre.

Alan

Hehe without the Elise there would have been no tesla - it's the incredible chassis that enables that to work and the real focal point of the Elise/Tesla

Steel is too heavy, carbon fibre is way too expensive - and from what I've seen it's way more than 7% unless they're counting the screws as well.

Elise chassis :

la-chassis.jpg

Tesla chassis :

393748693_4a8baa421a_b.jpg

All they did was cut some bits out to fit the rather impressive drive train, no prob with the fact its totally superb, deserves it's own badge and I would want one 3 times over, but when they start saying it's their own car........then it becomes a bit of a peepee take. Interior is identical and of course, they dont look similar do they ?

393852529_3de55573a0_b.jpg

Anyone can re-style an existing car to suit their own needs.

It's as much an Elise as the Europa / Exige that share the same linage - thats like saying that Peter stevens designed the Esprit, all he really did was soften the edges a bit and build on an already excellent platform.

I still think they are the future, lightweight and an electric drivetrain - as said above, bring the price down to a senible level and I'd be the 1st one to sign on the dotted line.

yeah electric is great and most of the electricity in the uk is nuclear based.......errrr........hold on

(see a floor anywhere hippies)

i love alternative fuel, cost twice as much and still destroys the planet.

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

The first electric vehicle I ever drove was a milk float, my Dad used to be a milkman and I used to help him to earn some cash when I was a teenager, before leaving school. He would let me drive the float when no one was about at 4am, great fun! <_<

It was this type of float as well.

milk_float.jpg

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

OK Karl,

So we just sit on our hands and wait till all the oil is gone and then moan?

Do your sums and you will find electricity as a fuel is still significantly cheaper than petrol. Even at twice the price (which will be required to make it a viable GREEN alternative), its still cheaper.

I love performance cars as much as you. The whole world loves performance cars. Therein lies the problem. The oil isn't going to last forever if everyone wants to use it.

Alternatives have to be found and companies like Tesla, Lotus, Nissan and even Dodge who have a commitment to 100% electric cars are making the first steps in making alternative fuelled vehicles a reality.

For sure there are still cost issues, but 100 years ago it was still cheaper to run a horse than a car, and the horse went faster!

Don

I totally applaud the development of alternative power - esp electric, I just hope Lotus are getting their due dibs from all these 'new' cars that keep coming out hehe.

I full appreciate the electrics are done elsewhere and thats fantastic - but the only way that cars like this work is from lightweight / affordable and strong materials which is what the Lotus input is.

End of the day electric is in it's infancy - I remember seeing an Electric Elise AGES ago at the Gaydon motor museum which was running on....wait for it....HiMh batteries (*heehee*) it was also slower than the standard petrol version and only had a range of about 100 miles iirc. Now along come some smarty pants in the US and develop not only a decent motor but the means to have a lithium cell *safely* in the car so we take a step further.

Keep in mind when the IC engine was used for F1 all those years ago they were what.......24 litre, 32 cylinder engines producing a sniff of what modern engines under 7 litres can produce today.

Electric WILL get there and become cheaper (I remember LCD TVs being like 4 grand when they came out too) just the same as structures to carry the occupants will be lighter, stronger etc.

I remember LCD TVs being like 4 grand when they came out too

Plasma's were over

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

That was only 5 years ago, you're getting get medication and therapy for your failing memory instead of a slap! :P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 1 month later...

Saw this a few weeks back at the Cars and Coffee show in Irvine, Dodge engineer claimed sub 4 second 0-60 and amazing 30-50MPH etc. Looks stunning in person other than the redneck paint job (car used to be black but Dodge in their infinite wisdom repainted it). Apparently the car was built at Hethel and shipped to Dodge. Have to say, if it's reasonably priced I'd be very tempted to pick one up.

post-87-1227742414.jpg

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

• 1 month later...