free hit
counters
Daytime Driving Lights - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Daytime Driving Lights

obione

I have just read this in on the Times Website...

The Scandinavian practice of driving a car with the lights on during the day should be common in Britain within three years. Under new European laws, all new models of cars and small delivery vans will, from 2011 onwards, need to be fitted with automatic daytime running lights to make them more visible. The EU believes that the lights could reduce death and injury on the roads by 3 to 5 per cent, but the Tory MEP Timothy Kirkhope said:

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but if anyone can tell me how to get either the side lights or the fog lights on without the headlights, I would love to hear it.

Roger :wub:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

No, but if anyone can tell me how to get either the side lights or the fog lights on without the headlights, I would love to hear it.

Roger :wub:

Not sure if this is of any use or exactly what you want but this was how it was managed on an Excel. http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2465

It's a legal requirement in Slovenia too. My folks spend some time out there each year and usually drive out from the UK. They got pulled over by the coppers for not having headlamps on in the middle of the day twice and warned. Next time would be a fine. When I was out there I just had the side lights on and never got bothered by any police I passed. I fitted LEDs in the side lights which are definitely brighter than the standard bulbs. The Esprit is not the prettiest thing with h'lamps up!

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Daytime running lights have been a must here in Canada for years. There is a good guide right on LEW @:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...ningLights.html

Here, the answer has been that you need them from the point of introduction, so Esprits built 1993 (I think it was) and after need to have them upgraded. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

2 X the fun!

Nose.jpg

Daytime running lights have been a must here in Canada for years. There is a good guide right on LEW @:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EM...ningLights.html

Here, the answer has been that you need them from the point of introduction, so Esprits built 1993 (I think it was) and after need to have them upgraded. Hopefully it will be the same for you.

Thanks Rob, I was going to point this one out also. It took me half a day to manufacture and install this mod (most of which was spent finding the necsessary Pektron diode), and although I only used it for the day that was required to show that my car met the DRL (Daytime Runiing Light) spec, I subsequently found that running with the parking light and fog light switch on accomplished that same result.

We have had a DRL requirement in Canada since the 1990 model year. It is my personal opinion that driving with illumination makes a huge (POSITIVE) difference. People see you more. There is NO argument to be made that "if everyone drives with their lights on that, since it becomes the visibility "norm", other drivers are "de-sensitized" to the lights". The fact is: the lights are more visible, and you are much more likely to see another car if its lights are on.

I highly recommend all Esprit drivers to engage the parking light and fog light switch at all times. The fog lights will be on (making you much more visible to other drivers) and you don't have to search for a Pektron diode to achieve what amounts to the same result!

With this technique your headlights are down, so you don't look silly driving around with the things popped up, but you still receive all of the benefits as your fog lights are illuminated.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Not sure if this is of any use or exactly what you want but this was how it was managed on an Excel. http://www.lotusexcel.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2465

You are a genius sir, sheer genius! I did have to pull the relay as the third post suggested, but I now have my lights working MY way!!

Roger :welcome:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

It's mandatory to use driving lights also in daytime here in Skandinavia. So, normal headlamps are used in all cars. No something special daytime lamps. Same cars have special low voltage systems.

Allmost all cars have 'light memory'. When you start engine, ligths switch on automatic. That system works even our Rover 75, after countrycode changed 'Finland'.

Esprit don't have this automatic ligths on system and I don't want it. Normally I use only parking lights or parking lights with fog lights. Only in rainy days I use headlights. In my opinion Esprit looks so much better without headlights.

It's funny that it's illegal to use fog lights if there is no fog.

You are a genius sir, sheer genius! I did have to pull the relay as the third post suggested, but I now have my lights working MY way!!

Roger :welcome:

How do you do it?

it wont let me register with my hotmail address for some reason :turned:

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I used my isp address, but it will not activate until you use the link provided in the return email.

But the answer, is short the blue/yellow and the red/grey wires into the dip dip module I use one of those nasty scotch clips, and then remove the dim dip control relay.

Roger

I highly recommend all Esprit drivers to engage the parking light and fog light switch at all times. The fog lights will be on (making you much more visible to other drivers) and you don't have to search for a Pektron diode to achieve what amounts to the same result!

Except that currently in the UK it is ILLEGAL to drive with fog lights on (either front or back) if the visibility is greater than 100metres.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Except that currently in the UK it is ILLEGAL to drive with fog lights on (either front or back) if the visibility is greater than 100metres.

Ohhhhhhh.... bummer. :turned:

So you could still use them about 90% of the time, then, no? :welcome:

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Sure... People driving along with them on unecessarily is annoying - But I'm still amazed at the shear lack of people who actually put their foglights on when visibilty is poor! The other day I was driving through seriously heavy fog, (and we're talking visibiity of less than 20m) - and most people didn't even have their sidelights on... Let alone headlights and front and rear fogs...

I nearly drove into the back of some Corsa that was pootling along in stealth mode! :welcome:

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

So what if it becomes law? Count the number of cars you see each evening with defective or mis-aligned headlamps, or using front fogs inappropriately, and ask around to see if anyone you know can remember being pulled over for having dodgy lights since the 1970's. Such a feat would require traffic police on the roads, not camera operators, so how likely is it to happen? Sure, once a year you show the MOT man that the sidelights work, and then go back to business as usual... :welcome:

Edited by Dan

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

that the lights could reduce death and injury on the roads by 3 to 5 per cent

How do they know this? If a car was not seen, it was not seen, with, or without lights. Many accidents also happen at night due to a car "not seen" - with it's lights on.

Visibility per se or lack thereof in an accident situation will always exist, with, or without lights.

Silly lawmakers. :welcome:

In all honesty I cannot recall a single time I have ever been even remotely annoyed or bothered by someone's fog lights in DAY time, and I am a pretty irritable person.

To me, the idea that fog lights can be considered an impairment to the visibility of oncoming traffic in the daytime is absurd, and the benefit of being more visible with the lights on really is powerful.

Certainly dedicated Daytime Running Lights is the preferred option over running with the foggies on, but in the absence of them, and as a safe alternative to running with the headlights up and on on the Esprit, I think it is unfortunate that this option is illegal in some parts of the world. :respect:

How do they know this? If a car was not seen, it was not seen, with, or without lights. Many accidents also happen at night due to a car "not seen" - with it's lights on.

Visibility per se or lack thereof in an accident situation will always exist, with, or without lights.

Silly lawmakers. :welcome:

Well, it may be true that 80% of all statistics are made up :turned: , and I am not really in favour of legislating DRLs, even though it is legislated here in Canada. Honestly, though, I can tell you from 18 years of driving experience under this law, that at a glance an oncoming car is far more visible with its lights on, particularly if the car is dark coloured and the day is grey. The fact is you are far less likely to not see the other car if its lights are on.

..oops OFF, I mean OFF. Why can't I edit this post?

Am i being REALLY thick here?

They have been banging on about engines being turned off in traffic.

I assumed this would not apply at night, eg: waiting at a junction in the

dark, you would not want your car to suddenly turn invisible BUT you would

not want to sit there engine off and lights on while you wait.

So in slow stop start traffic, eg: the M25, or that queue into the factory. Would the

cars (as they are on major roads) be required to have lights on all the time even if

they stopped their engines? Or will a traffic jam be excused from having a thousand

bulbs burning blindly into the bumper of the car in front?

Will we all end up with a bank of batteries in the back?

And what about decades of research into efficient battery powered cars, now doomed

to be running lights on a sunny day. Real world saving stuff, or is it just me???

:D

The net effect of all cars dropping fuel consumption would have terrible environmental impact. Surely we'd be killing trees like they're going out of fashion!

Perhaps it's just the gov'ts way of trying to make us us more petrol so they get more tax. They'll be advocating bricks in the boot next!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.