free hit
counters
interesting rear lights - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

interesting rear lights

shadeone

dont know what to think of these rear lights... keeps the similar style to the 2002 panel but i think its bordering a little bit on the rice style...... looks very "futuristic" however... this car is for sale over on ramspott brandts sale section.... nice wheels though...

3.jpg

shade

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like it too. I was just thinking about this today, never been a fan of the 2002 lights (sort of different but not better & not keen on the way a normal plate fits in the funny shaped aperture). Wondered about something very similar to this but behind a perspex cover in the same shape as a Stevens; might look a bit too TVR though, that is probably better.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

these are the only other pics of the car on their site, some dont even come in full size...

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

i just realized that there is a mod to the front lights as well! and i think im actually in love with those! anyone know anything about those at all?!?!?

shade

sorry, one of the links is bad up there and theres no edit button anymore...

here it is:

2.jpg

shade

I think it is bloody awful. :welcome:

In fact, I just threw up a little in my mouth, as the famous line in the movie goes.

I honestly don't know why any of you like this. At all. Total "Carbage" as Top Gear would put it. At first I thought most comments to this was just sarcastic. And then...I realised...you are serious!

It is this sort of modifactions which makes all Lotus owners look like chavs. And deminishes the value of the brand similar to what "Too fast too furious"-types have done to Japanese cars, M3's and these days Audi's too.

<sigh>

In fact, I'm thinking of submitting it...

Not keen on the rear... front looks more promising tho - very menacing, and put the lights back down and no-one would even know :welcome: But I sort of agree with Etienne here - when you get to a car on the level of a Lotus, any sort of visible modification has to be MEGA MEGA subtle.... Or it looks tacky as hell.

Trying to improve a Esprit's looks is like trying to touch up a Rembrandt... you're dealing with near perfection!

Edited by EspritMiltonKeynes

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

I like them, gives the car an up to date feel. Chav stuff is the lexus lights that go on a fiesta etc. I would like an upgrade look but would want ot be able to have the old lights fitted again i f the car was ever passed on so it could look original if someone wanted it that way.

no to the rears im afraid, even from me LMAO

but i love the fronts with a lazy eye

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

I was thinking about these round lights, which got me thinking; why did Lotus introduced them in the first place on the later V8 versions of the Esprit? This wasn't just a case of modernising the look; round lights are quite different from the squar-ish lights.

Round rear lights makes more sense on Ferarri's, there is a historical reason for them. And they are quite pretty. But Lotus? Part of the reason I fell in love with Lotus were those Rover SD1 lights on the early Esprits. It seems to compliment the angular lines of the car.

At one stage I was convinced it was an unashamed effort on Lotus' part to ape the F355, which it looks a bit like, doesn't it? Similar to what washing-powder manufacturers do to copy the packaging to resemble that of the market leader in supermarkets.

It is clear Lotus has decided at one stage that round-rear lights will become the standard on all the models - even the Evora. But to have changed mid-stream with the Lotus to rounds ones? I don't know. Every time I spot a round-light V8, I always think F355 for a second. Maybe longer if it is Modena red. :D

the best look in my opinion is the stevens style lights with an S4 flat style plinth and the corner orange lights tinted red to match the rest of the lens. looks even smoother and uninterrupted when the lotus badge recess in the plinth is filled and gone. i think this is the extent of customization I am going to be doing to my car! hah

I still like the fronts on the car above though. anyone know anything about the lazy-eye look and what lights are in there? I swear there was a post on them a long time ago...

shade

Those Toyota lights were from an old model about 15 years earlier. Perhaps Lotus anticipated supply problems eventuating which prompted them to do the "update".

There are aftermarket Toyota lights available on Ebay. They have the mirrored look though, but may suit having the clear lens tinted red. I think that would work ok.

ToyotaTailight0909.jpg

I'm tempted to give it a try especially if they come apart the same way I did mine which was soaking them in kero for a couple of days. The plinth would also need a little modification with little squares made and flush fitted in the top corners. All possible.

Esprittaillightunglued0909003.jpg

DanR

That's one hell of a mean looking car :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

i love it. the wheels are gorgeous and i actually like it without the wing. the black roof and boot look may be happening at this rate.

the lazy eye kit and fairly cheap pff ebay about

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

That's the look I'm after but In Medina green!!!

If you fibre the pods Half up you need to change the lights, I have beem looking at MR2 projectors with HID's in.

For those amongst you who frown upon this. My intention is to change the whole pod and retain the originals for If/when I sell the car.

ha, i knew there was another picture of this cars front out there somewhere!

post-1089-1190572489.jpg

the tip when this pic was first posted was to search for "sleepy" light conversions for RX7 or 240sx on ebay...

also, upon doing a search for "Corolla AE86 tail*" on ebay i came across these:

AE86TAIL12.jpg

if you blacked out the "sprinter" part, they could look good as a very subtle enhancement!

shade

Edited by shadeone