free hit
counters
Gear selector - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Yup, agree with Andy on the inhibitor block - you should be able to slide it left when loosened. May involve a bit more dismantling for access though!

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys you gave the clue, the inhibitor was already as far to the left as possible, I figured that the relaxed position for the translator was not perpendicular on the gear shift, once I worked that out 10 minutes, now I can get reverse, fifth and everything in between.

It's better, but, the Elan just had a Ford box and the change was a lot snappier than this, it still seems notchy, so maybe I'm not done yet.

Roger :blush:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, did a bit of spirited driving today, hopefully not going to hear from the constabulary. There is no comparison between before and after the gear change is very good, I can get all the way up to 5th accelerating hard and not popping the waste gate, indicating quick changes, but I'm still complaining, what are you guys doing to build up your finger mussels??? everyone tells me I should be able to change gear with one finger!

1st to 2nd is good, but I need to keep pressure to the left, 2nd to 3rd is good it's almost like going straight up, 3rd to 4th good straight down, 4th to 5th OK not clever but quick enough not to pop the waste gate so it can't be that bad. Down, I always go from 5th to 3rd anyway, good or bad habit I'm not sure, 3rd to 2nd not good, and here's the bitch, the springing across the box I reckon is too stiff, I can get up and down but not across with ease, my recent work on all this tells me that this springing is internal to the gearbox not in the linkage, so there's sod all I can do about it unless I want to pull the gearbox out and strip it, and I don't!

Roger :P

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)