Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
The Exploding V8 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

The Exploding V8

Kimbers

Some of you may have seen pictures, or actually seen us parked on the side of the A11 before the 60th Anniversary event.....for those that didn't here's a reminder:

I was with Walter and Philipe from Belgium and we were having a lovely time catching Bibs up until Walters V8 did an F1 style blow up:

IMGP3878.jpg

Here's the result.....I don't know but does this look terminal to you?

http://www.pixagogo.com/2862284183

Don't click on this link if you are squeemish or don't like to see dead Esprits.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea at all Peter. We were travelling at....less than the cars stated comfortable speed.....and there was a huge plume of white smoke, bits of metal and a spray of oil....et Fini!

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

• Gold FFM

I'm with Bibs. Bit of TLC, some persuasion with a 4lb hammer (couldn't hurt) and park the car at the top of a hill and you'd get a couple more k's out of it. :)

Is there any bit that isn't less than ordinary???

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

I thought a can of petrol and some matches myself.

I was once told that everything is repairable - only cost decides matters.

If the block itself is intact then only the liner is needed. OK, crank, rods, pistons etc follow along with the oil pick-up and related parts.

Unless I have missed something, the crankshaft caps seemed to be undamaged.

Depends on insurance I suppose. If the worst came to the worst, and the insurance company made the car a total loss, I would be tempted to consider buying the salvage and putting in a bit extra to have the engine rebuilt or look around for a second-hander.

It's difficult to tell from the photos but the car seems to be in otherwise good condition.

Me to. I though mechanical issues weren't covered as well.

I saw you guys on the side of the road (with the police) - sorry to see this ...

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

It makes me sorry to see those pictures.

About insurance. I Think what keyword is 'suddently', so in this case is hope.

That works here. Of course many variations between companies and countries.

Me to. I though mechanical issues weren't covered as well.

Oops, I might have overlooked something; you are probably right.

Different tack: you have to consider the value of the car as-is, the cost of an engine rebuild and then the value of the car with its new motor. That's the economics side of things.

Then you have to consider the car's use. Is it occasional or every-day transport? If the former, then time and convenience are not crucial. If the latter, well, that's a different matter.

Other factors: are you mechanically able? Could you get the engine out, strip it, rebuild it and put it back in?

I am trying to be helpful because I can appreciate that life probably doesn't feel too good at the moment and you could do with a bit of encouragement.

Incidentally, I am intrigued by the cause of failure. Was it a liner fracturing or was it something else that broke first that then set off several consequences?

I have seen rods through the side of blocks and the damaged block was repaired. Similarly, I have seen destroyed combustion chambers from broken valves welded up and then remachined for valve seat inserts and the like to the original manufacturer's dimensions.

Most things are possible; it's the cost-benefit analysis that is decisive.

God what a shambles- feel gutted for you. :)

Is the engine original? Ever been rebuilt? new belts?

I think we will all want to hope that this is not indicating some dreadful weakness in what is a pretty rare and therefore untested engine!

Cheers Bob

According to Walter it had a new head gasket last year.

Just recieved an e-mail and the engine officialy ate itself, no chance of repair.. He's been quoted for a new one but is considering putting in an Audi V8, as he runs his own German brand repair shop he can get one for less than a lotus V8 and I assume it'll be fitted cheaply!

• Gold FFM

Audi V8 !? So it's just an other one in the scene ? :X

...an 'enemy engine' in an Lotus Esprit, and that comes out of your mouth Kimbers .... :innocent:

OK, I'm now even more happy that my engine did it so simple - compared to what i can see in the pictures. Sorry Walter - must be a pain !!

All the cast alloy sections are still OK ?? There is an new crank in Germany (R&B) , liners and pistons are listed in some aftermarket sellers pages, head can be reworked (as long as the alloy around the valve guides is in good shape -otherwise an oversize is needed) . And Pam Darville ( Lots-o-bits) "quicksell45" ->ebay) offers a pair of new heads (without valves) and various other parts.

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

what is a pretty rare and therefore untested engine!

Hi Bob - Fortunately rare and untested don't go hand in hand. A production engine, no matter how rare, is tested as just as much as any other engine for longevity, durability etc.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.