free hit
counters
The Exploding V8 - Page 5 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Kimbers

The Exploding V8

Thanks Simon.

If the "LEF Tour of France 2010" comes off, then we´ll hope to be participating in that; the doors will be wide open then :wub:

If anyone want to drop by and say "hello", just let us know?

The ex-5th Gear V8-GT should arrive here next weekend, so there will always be something interesting to look at/play with.

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It sounds like you are a pheonix-maker and grave digger at the same time :blink: you give life to old, forgotten engines, and you burry the REALLY burned ones. Great job!!!

By the state of the scorching, everything is pointing at an oil pressure/lubrication failure problem.. From memory, Walter did mention about seeing the oil pressure warning before the engine stalled/seized. Maybe not as a result of the oil pump, but associated to the state of the crankpins.

It is interesting to see the condition of some of the conrod bearings. You can see how the shells spread at the high-load points and kill the crankpin endfloat. It is fairly easy to imagine this kind of destruction taking place over a very short period of time.

In the case of cylinder #6, it looks clear that a rod bolt gave way, causing the damage to the block. The piston then fragmeted and this in turn destoyed the liner. Certainly the crankpin in #6 was by far in the worst condition. The conrod was also bend as a result of impact.....

It is ugly, to say the very least.

Cheers,

Mike S

Edited by mike_sekinger

Mike

I always guessed we would see such things when it was opened. When she went, by god did she go! It really did put all the F1 Blow ups I'd seen to shame!

We weren't travelling....erm.....too fast and my S4 was more than happy, however, we were travelling fast enough that any Oil issue would cause catastrophic failure.

Keep up the good work.

That's what happens when you're trying to keep up with the 'Black Blur'™ :blink:

I assume by black blur you mean you're tyre overtaking you're car? :blink:

The next picture I would like to see would be one of Walters V8 whizzing-off down the road. :animier:

Walter and crew now have the fun task to re-install the engine and take care of replacing the oil coolers/hoses. Hopefully, he will update this thread with news on that later this month.

Cheers,

Mike S

It´s been a while since the engine was collected and went back to Belgium, but I recetly heard from Walter that it is now running and his car is finally back on the road.

He had some problems with clutch hydraulics, but with a new slave cylinder all is working again - although unfortunately not in time for the Malvern Show :D

Cheers,

Mike S