free hit
counters
What made you happy today? - Page 113 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

What made you happy today?

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Bibs said:

I heard a very good friend is in remission from cancer, I shed tears, wonderful news :D

Cheers for that Bib's.

As in your quote above.

Just heard the exact opposite. A long time Lotus fanatic who I will not name out of respect for his privacy. He also informed me that he has passed what the doctors had told his was his expected demise date by two month's. Gutted,as he is a real character who you will know, or certainly know of.  Our Lotus groups will certainly miss the guy.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I ordered a new Lotus, having cancelled the Porsche. That makes me happy

After 5 years of hard work and graft my Downton mini fired to life this morning and sounded absolutely amazing, everything has been rebuilt so big smiles. Just lots of loose ends to finish off no

My Dad came through his open-heart surgery successfully.  

Posted Images

On 22/11/2016 at 17:20, hyteck9 said:
On 22/11/2016 at 13:29, hyteck9 said:

Have a look...   ask questions...  

Hi Brian

Interested in your project, which strikes me as the missing link between a steam engine and an internal combusion engine (in so far as you are proposing creating your high pressure gas external to the engine)

Is lubrication going to be sacrificial? (or are you suggesting no lubrication whatsoever to the rotors) 

How would you intend to cool it?   How will this affect the close tolerances you would need to seal the rotors  - what material for rotor & case?    

I'm curious how you intend to supply sufficient volume of high compressed air to run it?  100psi to start then as much as you then want to run at the mega boosts  (300psi+) ?    (not via a traditional vane compressor or turbo).   It will need to be machine in its own right and will require significant power to generate it.  Could that be problematical for starting?    

Why wont the motor want to destroy itself at high boost, like any other engine?   e.g. at your mega boost, the combustion pressures will be equally mega.  What type of bearings/lubricationn are you proposing for the relatively small rotor axles?    

How are you planning to seal the flat sides and outer edge  of the rotors?  Are these going to touch the case, use Wankel type seals, or theoretically to be entirely suspended by the rotor bearings to the point there they cannot laterally or axially touch the outer case, yet be in close enough tolerance to avoid blow by?  

I assume the fuel charge must be via direct injection to avoid the inlet charge spontaneously combusting at you mega boost  (or from the hot tip of the rotor passing the inlet).   If my assumption is correct the configuration would make multiple cylinders tricky    

However, it seems to me that the major issue is efficiency, in the fact that you will lose most of your explosive charge the instant the exhaust post starts to open - also exacerbated by the fact that combustion is not immediate or complete in any internal combustion engine.  Even in the best case scenario, wont it only provide an impulse for a small proportion of a cycle and will dump most of the energy straight out of the exhaust?  

Sorry if I am coming across negatively, its an interesting project and I'm just analysing it - and you requested questions! 

:D

001.jpg

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

30 minutes ago, 910Esprit said:

Hi Brian

Sorry if I am coming across negatively, its an interesting project and I'm just analysing it - and you requested questions! 

Hi.  Thank you for your interest in the project.  Those are many questions you have.  The basic "idea" , which could not be fine tuned in any way without advanced software, was to use an electric supercharger to generate hi boost on a small engine.  The prototype I hold in my hand is only about the size of a lunch box and it creates a single 330cc chamber with intakes the size of ping pong balls.  mega boost on a 5Litre engine is no easy task, but much easier on 330cc with large ports.  The hope was to use the pressurized air to cool the parts, seal the gaps, and provide compression.  the only lubricant would be internal to the rotors' bearings and in the gearbox of course.  Direct injection is preferred.  My main focus was to keep things spinning true, use air for multiple purposes..  (just like NASA uses fuel to cool the engines before it uses fuel to fire them) and eliminate seals.  I can not be sure the rotors will make efficient use of the flame wave as it moves from ignition point to exhaust point.  The design was fun to make!   I know I don't have any engineering background and can not answer all your questions.  "Not bad for a musician" though, right?  That seems to be the best answer I can get on it.  Haha.  Somthing about it "Makes good music".  It is balanced, harmonious... and shiny!   :-P

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Been away from home working all the hours recently. Finally got home at 0030 last night knackered. Slumped in the bed and dropped off to sleep quickly. 4.5 hours later alarm is going off and need to get up for a call with India, the quick shower and a commute of around 60 miles, mostly motorway to Edinburgh. As the weather has been warmer in Scotland recently and had not been out for a while in it, I took the Evora.  Just a mundane, boring run in a run of the mill plain old Evora NA +0 from 2010.

Got to Edinburgh, a few stressful meetings sorting out issues etc, banged on with a load of work and at 1330 got the chance to head back home. 60 boring mundane miles on motorway in a run of the mill plain old Evora NA +0 from 2010.

So why the hell am I grinning like the Cheshire cat who did not just get the cream, but a whole fresh salmon too!  Damn. The Evora is one freakin' awesome super duper just fandabbydosey motor. Got loads of smiles, some flashes, some waves and a couple of thumbs up that have totally re-energised me and made me realise just what a truly lucky James Hunt I am. Damn, I love my Evora... Have a great weekend everyone.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Ha!  I know exactly where Mr. Bibs is.  I have the same pic somewhere.

Any chance Margaret's still at the bar?

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

She wasn't last night but I'll keep an eye out. Sat on our verandah at The Verandah watching the sun come up with a white Russian.  :)

20161203_063323_1480763837359.jpg

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Busy day today choosing between beers, rums, cocktails and champers. Decided on them all :D

20161203_133959_1480800385161.jpg

Evora NA

Clearly everyone is enjoying my holiday pics so here's another,  from the other end of the beach this time...

:thumbup:

20161204_134205_1480876960742.jpg

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

Where is that @Bibs@Bibs?

Felixstowe or Hull?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Broadstairs. Love it here :)  

• Like 2

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

I stop work the end of next week for Christmas :animier:

and look what the missus found in Morrisons for a tenner. It isn't gonna last the night out

IMG_0857.JPG

• Like 2

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Yuck. like drinking cat vomit!  Sorry, just not for me....

• Gold FFM

Dunno about cat vomit. Always looks a bit hairy and horrible to me. Each to their own I suppose - I mean some folks voted lib-dem :rofl:

• Like 2

Only here once