free hit
counters
What made you happy today? - Page 12 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

What made you happy today?

Laura

There has always been one job that fills me with trepidation, so much that I would happily get out the checkbook and pay someone else to do it. I have tried many times, taken a course, had professional tips but the result was always a mess...

But this weekend I have mastered the art of plastering. :)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Crikey...I've been getting plastered for YEARS!!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Very good, Pete. And by now I'm sure you've picked up on all the "nuances" of the art of plastering. Besides texture, tone, and "drying out period," many others come to mind:

One must always consider the evening's fare. If serving foie gras, should I go with the red or the white wine? Is the cellar fully stocked?

Have I chosen the correct ale to accompany my fish and chips? Will an aperitif be required to speed up the process? Will I retain sufficient dexterity to follow up with a post-meal brandy?

If it's to be a group gathering, have I memorized enough drinking songs to keep up with my mates? Do they care?

Should I pace myself, or take a "time is of the essence" approach? Are there "contests" involved, and what strategies should I use?

If the market is down, have I thought up credible excuses to avoid picking up the tab?

Is it considered poor form to take an occasional nip from a personal flask?

Will the wife be joining the festivities? Does she know any good drinking songs?

Have I spent sufficient time practicing my dance routines, particularly "The Alligator?" Will anybody care?

Is the phone number of the local cab service still in my wallet for the return journey home? Will the cabbie know any good drinking songs?

If the cab doesn't show, have I brought along a good pair of kneepads for the crawl home? Should I simply remain prone on the pub floor until daybreak?

If the event is being videoed, did I remember to bring my Groucho Marx disguise?

Did the wife remember to bring her Groucho Marx disguise?

Since it is doubtful that I will recall any of the previous evening's actions, should I prearrange for a copy of the video? Will I really want to watch it? Should I secure the U-tube copyrights?

If I make it home successfully, have I made arrangements for a suitable location for the necessary "sleep it off" period? Is the aspirin bottle handy and available for the treatment of post-plaster symptoms? Have all alarm clocks been silenced?

And so, you see, the art of plastering is laced with subtleties, some requiring years of dedicated practice and refinement, and most importantly "in-the-field research."

Happy plastering, Pete! Cheers, :)

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Will an aperitif be required to speed up the process?

From that one simple question I can see that you may require a little training before aspiring to fit in to French village life :D

Oh and chez nous, foie gras is generally served with Juran

As the Pyrenees-Atlantiques department of Southwestern France contains no less than 547 communes, it took some doing to track down postal code 64110. The question remains, did monsieur mean for his pate' to be accompanied by the Jurancon "dry white," or the more sought after "sweet white?" And was monsieur referring to the Gros Manseng, Petit Manseng, or Courbu grape variety? Most importantly, were the pate's mandatory truffles ingredient imbued with the correct pork fat accent?

Tout bien, ou rien! Non? :D

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Well it's a beautiful sunny evening here in downtown Lere, the old currant is smiling upon me and my endeavours....it was scheduled to be the First Start of the Lotus; we'd had a gigantic thunderstorm last night, crash bang boom downpour and it dawned dull, cloudy and chill. I was full of procrastination; I'd spent 6 months working on this engine, with stripped threads on head studs, pistons too tight to fit in the cylinders, 3 sets of new liners....honed out the last set myself to get a decent fit...and had the crank apart too, with new bearings throughout. The lump has been fighting me every last inch of the way; I decided to postpone the start until after the practise for the F1 Spanish GP...so I got down to the workshop about 1530 local, and started plodding through the last bits to be done; torquing the rear suspension lower links, topping up the oil and gearbox oil, filling the cooling system...a complicated procedure involving bleeding air out from several points...setting the rev limiter to 3000rpm...checking all around...I'd forgotten to replace the cooling fan switch from when I drained the system last year, so I got a puddle from that before I refitted it...

In the end, of course, continued delay was indefensible; I'd had my Big Think and remembered to tighten up the reversing light switch....so it was time to start her up. Master switch ON...Choke ON...Ignition ON..

Fuel Pump ON.... turn the key.......

And there she was, back again. Fired up first revolution of the engine, chuckled to herself; bags of oil pressure, battery charging....pause for a bit, check around the engine for any leaks...fine...in with the choke...and she was idling perfectly at 800 rpm, just as the book says. I shorted out each plug in turn and got the same rev drop, so the carb. balance is OK, too!! Followed the rest of the coolant filling instructions, which involve allowing the engine to warm up through two cycles of cooling fans and then bleeding the radiator again....and that'll do for the day. Tomorrow I'll clear up the workshop and refit the engine cover and take the First Drive; about 10 miles around the block and back here for another check. But boy, does she sound happy..I had a comprehensive listen about with the mechanic's stethoscope and all there was to hear was merry rotational sounds..not a tap or rattle anywhere. Hopefully this incarnation will last for tens of thousands of miles rather than just tens!!

Cocktails on the terrasse now....!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Cuba Libres with a slight lingering suspicion of gear oil...nothing finer!!

Happy days, great news John and well done :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

TODAY the schedule called for the First Drive. Things were delayed a bit by dealing with the email traffic, emailing the loss adjusters as to why 7300 Euros had appeared in my bank account, clearing up the workshop, watching the F1 practise and the qualifying, and a spot of lunch. Then the old girl was so dirty I couldn't take her out..so a lick and a promise got most of the dust and bits off; then I checked the oil and water...needed some coolant, because I'd bled the system last thing yesterday. Started up, first turn of the key...luvverly!! Then I had to put the engine cover and rear hatch back on....the rear hatch is a heavy sod, so my solo method involves running ropes across the workshop to suspend the thing over the car at about the right angle...then bolting it on and fitting the gas struts. After that, seemed pretty much ready...so I changed into clothes suitable to be seen in and got in...strapped in..started up...engaged reverse...ENGAGED REVERSE...!!! ENGAGED..... oh bugger. Wouldn't go in!!!! Now, I knew what this was...the cable part of the linkage pushes a bellcrank to position the selectors so that reverse can be engaged. It wasn't pushing it far enough....and I couldn't adjust it, because the threads on the adjustment resemble something that Jacques-Yves Cousteau had discovered 50 fathoms down after several centuries of being sunk. SO..I changed back into the filth once more and grovelled underneath. Hmmm..is the rod at the end of the cable bent a bit?...Yesss...must have knelt on it whilst working on the cooling pipes at the front of the engine...being bent would make it shorter...RIGHT! I'll bend it straight again....so I did...then I tried the reverse gear selection...went in like it did it all the time!!! O-KAY...this time we're GO!! As I said before, the beast has fought me every last millimetre..but now she's going for a drive!!

Once more we fire her up; back out of the garage, into the road, and AWAY!!! Rev limiter set to 3000rpm, so it gets woolly at 2800...gentle throttle openings...I'll reset the limiter to 3200 so I can get 3000 for real...all the needles point to the right numbers... Even at 60 mph, what a beast this is, one forgets...taut, responsive...magnificent!! Worth all the hassle and heartburn, honing and hurt...

SHE'S BACK!!!!

So we went to the local supermarche and treated her to 50 litres of 98 octane pushwater...half full, now! 18 miles on the new engine.. get some more in tomorrow, after Master Button has won the Spanish GP and I've done my bit with the polish and Solvol Autosolled the wheels... Going to have a stand out shopping car for a bit.....

RUNNING IN....PLEASE PASS....(!)

My brother and I nearly bought one of those...it's among the great tragedies of my life. Vantage, superleggera, maroon coachwork...had had an engine fire, the loom was melted and the Fire Brigade had wrenched the bonnet open with a crowbar(!) Other than that...very nice. At that time, we had no room to put it, and it needed more work than we could readily accomplish on the road outside, and my bro. needed transport sooner than this was going to take to do. Had the asking price in his pocket, too; we'd gone all the way from Kew Gardens to Dagenham on the District Line, playing Scrabble en route, to see it....so we turned around and took the

Edited by molemot

• 3 weeks later...

Went to Thruxton for British Super Bikes...

:lol:

Hot and sunny, lovely drive out in Digby, saw lots of bikers going round and round (and round) roundabouts and...

I think I saw Colin Firth

:lol:

I've introduced Graham to the world of two wheels, not sure he was impressed!

Thanks Jeff X

Edited by Louise
post-1-039744300201278592955.jpg

Proper racing :lol:

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

Had a terrible weekend consisting of Doing the garden, drinking beer and eating huge amounts of BBQ'd meat! Oh roll on more of this weather!

B)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I'm happy because Dave is happy!

B)