free hit
counters
What made you happy today? - Page 91 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What made you happy today?

Laura

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Just had it confirmed that my mate has moved into his new apartment in Monaco, guess where we are going this summer. Yellow Peril, get ready for a great run.

• Like 1

Nice beer that too :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
On 1/3/2016 at 21:45, Loose Cannon said:

That sounds fantastic. Park it outside the Japanese Gardens, Roger Moore lives in an apartment overlooking those he might see it and pop down!

Obviously the camera will have to be checked. The 80's suit made available and a glass of wine in hand when we get there.

• Gold FFM

Popped in to see my herald at my mates paint booth

Now just making a shopping list for the rebuild fittings........ And including a brand new hood - it's gonna be a whole lot less than one front corner suspension set for the esprit!!!image.jpeg.84fccbcd5541f101078890619284a

• Like 2

Only here once

This morning, preparing the 400 calorie breakfast hotdog, I finally accepted that the bottles and jars of condiments, pickles, sauces, herbs etc.etc. had taken over the worksurface. Put down a plate and no room left!! What's to be done?
A shelf, of course....above the microwave and between the window and the water heater. OK...measuring time. About 85cm by 20cm seemed right; so, on a whim, better go and buy something...
Fired up the Volvo and bimbled off to Cosne. As I reached the junction of my road and what passes for a main road in these parts, a large red tractor with an even larger red trailer, laden to the wotsits, ambled slowly past.
Bugger.
Stuck.
Ah well; no rush...j'suis pas pressée, as they say here. So I ambled along in the same direction...with a Renault 5 between me and the mobile chicane. We were coming into the village, when the Renault sprinted past the moving obstruction. Hmmm...thought I, good idea that....then the tractor slowed even more...crawling along at about 10mph. Sod this......I pulled out for a better view. Nothing coming, a bend ahead but plenty of time to get by...quick glance around....nothing...so off I went.

I was alongside the trailer when the whole caboodle turned left in front of me!!

No signal...didn't even look...just turned left into a side road. AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!! Nothing to be done...except to be thankful I had shifted into second gear and plant the right boot, hoping that the Volvo turbo would spool up in time to push enough stuff into the cold engine to get us past the tractor....it was that or T-bone it. Swerved left, whizzed past M. Grenouille, went up the LH trottoir (fortunately the kerb was low and had a 45° chamfer!) and we were past and away, back on the right side of the road and intact.

Strewth. That's the third time I've done the skin-of-the-teeth jobbie like that....once on Haldon Moor, with my brother Mike in the MG TC, when we evaded a bulldozer.....and once on the A604 whilst in the RAF, in the Alfa, when an artic pulled out from a service station in front of me and turned right...across my path, at night, without any lights on. Both unforgettable....especially the Anglia front light chrome trim as the Alfa went through the non-existent gap...and the TC breaking spokes under the swerving strain as the gap narrowed....every time the mad swerve avoided disaster.....but I think I might stay behind tractors in future.

When I got to the shop in Cosne I examined the beastie....a smudge of mud from one of the tractor's front tyres on the right rear corner was all that was to be seen. Had it not been for the mud, there wouldn't have been a mark....

Only on the metaphorical inside of my underpants.......(!)

Anyway, the shelf. I had a good look around Weldom and found some nice brackets for 2€30 each....then I needed a shelf...White melamine finished one for 8€60, just the right size.....then I saw the d-i-y shelf kit. Solid pine shelf and nicely shaped bracket....5€50.
That'll do!!! So the rest went back and I got the shelf kit. Tomorrow it will  be on the wall and the bottlesandjars will have a new home!!

• Like 1

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Been down the shops this morning..and dumped the rubbish...had brekkers and then put up the shelf. Modern kit is marvellous....there are incredibly clever plasterboard fastenings...they start out with a sharp bit in the middle, then expand into a section that acts as a drill, and then there's a Very Coarse Thread that screws into the plasterboard until it is stopped by a nice large flange. So you mark the wall...get out the drill and the crosshead screwdriver bit...then screw the Magic Thingy into the wall, in one hit. The screw itself goes down the middle! A bit different from Dad using a Rawlplug jumper tool, bashing away in the kitchen at Kew...took hours to bash out a hole..punctuated with rude words and injured thumb, bits of plaster and brick showering everywhere, stopping to resharpen the tool, bashing away again.... thin lipped around a weedy rollup (that's what did for him at 57) and then using Philplug to take the screws.A tinful of the really nasty fibrous asbestos mixed with cement (!)....put some in your palm and spit on it; knead it together and stuff it in the hole with the special right angled steel rod with a point on one end and a flat on the other, came in the tin....then screw the screw in. I suppose with his smoking habit, it didn't make any difference....!!!

Anyway, the shelf was assembled from the wooden components and the wall was duly pierced and threaded, the spirit level was in use, and up she went....now I have all the jarsandbottleandspices nicely to hand and out of the way!! A trumph of kitchen design......(!)

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

• Gold FFM

Two weeks of withdrawl symptoms. Two weeks of Kazakhstan, Russian TV. two weeks of boredom and today at 0500 hrs I have at last got my internet back and my first look at the forum. Only good bit was I missed all the doom and gloom news from home about the floods. So while sat here in a nice -20 Deg C which is very mild for this time of year I can spend a few evening catching up on the gossip. Mmm, downside is I have no excuse to go to the pub each night now. Quandry. Do I tell the Mrs that I have a restored link, or stay quiet and enjoy the pub.

Mmmmm. Better own up I guess.

Ah well still Happy.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

T'was / Tis my birthday today and the missus got us a couple of corkers!

The Evora book from  the forum and the Lotus Experience day at the factory complete with the Motorsport add-on. I guess she's a keeper for another year!

Quick scan through the lovely book - a must for all Evora owners, and the picture below with the 911 just shows how gorgeous the Evora is and how bland the 911 looks, IMHO.

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0002.jpg

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

You won't be disappointed Dave and my wife assured me the Lotus Forum WAS the cheapest place to get it! She doesn't like to spend my money, another reason she's a keeper ;)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I had to ring my insurer (Shannons) as my S4 is off the road and will be for a bit as I have to get rid of my motorbike first to make some room in the garage. They have laid up cover which drops my premium each month. Just not covered on the road which is fine. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Fitted new Michelin Pilot Super Sport tyres and had the geo checked on my Evora. For a while felt the car tramlined a little and could be a little nervous when hitting a bump in the road which unsettled the front, I maybe put this down a little to the old OEM tyres as they were certainly at the end of their life and it's certainly highlighted it for me now I have had the geo checked. Turned out the geo was quite far out, the camber front and back was out and the front toe and caster needed adjustment! Anyway what a huge difference, spent yesterday afternoon pushing the car on far more than I have before with a huge grin :) 

Big up to @Trevsked for using one of his many connections getting this sorted for me :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

Well, went into my man cave on Monday and thought, bloody hell what a mess. Car burried under a winters worth of crap, although it did have a protective cover on it. No room to move and the S3 sitting with a flat tire. Inflated the tire, removed all the crap and with the booster on she started ( wife keeps my trickle charger on her Elan, humph ) so into reverse and mover her out into sunlight for the first time in many months. Sheet, half way out the door and she stall's, yep you guessed it, cant get the bl++dy door open. Window down and climb out. hooked up booster again, climb back in window and out she comes. Wow she still looks good in daylight. So the big cleanup starts. Four days later, stack of new racking on order and trailer loads of crap, I can now see the back wall. Result. yesterday evening spent some time looking on fleebay and noticed the prices of second hand parts for Eclats and Esprit's and thought Ferking Hell, I have just thrown about a grands worth in with the junk on the trailer. I can recoup the costs of the racking.

Found. One power steering rack in good order for an Excel/Elite.

4 pot exhaust manifold.

1 left, 1 right Excel/Eclat window motors complete with all the fitting and both in good order.

2 power steering pumps, Excel/Eclat.

1 complete clutch assembly S3 Esprit N/A

4 Dellorto carbs, 2 ex Esprit S3 2.2 and 2 ex Eclat 2.00lt.

1 S3 N/A expansion tank.

1 Eclat/Excel Brown leather steering wheel.

2 new external door handles, I think Eclat, with keys.

I still have a garage full of parts at another location which includes window frames, doors, boot lid, Eclat leather interior and god knows what else. I know there is a rebuilt 2.2 n/a engine and 5 speed Getrag gearbox in there somewhere.

And that's only part of it.

Happy bunny to have kept this lot. Now store, or sell.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Sell!  Make some room in the garage. Then spend the next 10 years filling it up again.  Then, rinse and repeat ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Gold FFM

So car has been in to Craig Moncrieff's for some fettling this past week, various new bits, some upgraded bits etc. When I return from London on Thursday I get to pick her up and get a wee drive home. The long way of course.

Just got a piccie from Craig showing the excellent job he has done turning my calipers red from black. They've been in the oven all weekend slowly baking....

Lovely jubbely and better than anything Mary has ever taken out of the oven too!

brakes.JPG