free hit
counters
100,000 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Nifty

My 1984 S3 clocked this morning on my way to the AEG run.

That's roughly about 4,000 miles for every year of it's life, which is why I believe the engine runs so nicely .. because it has been used, not sat in a garage for years.

Just wondered how many other's vehicles had reached this milestone ?

Interestingly my current Land Rover will probably reach the same figure before the months out and that's not even 4 years old ... and I have a 9 year old Discovery that has done 115,000.

(The 7 has a paltry 39,000 !!)

Keep off the straight and narrow

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The red Elan you passed on the A11 is approaching 125k, is 18 years old, and will be doing a 4 day tour of the Isle of Man next weekend. It's also my daily driver and now covers 500 miles a week.

Dave.

Currently 119750miles. 75 of which were clocked up yesterday in the sunshine going nowhere in particular! I fact, a lot of the 65k in my ownership has come from going nowhere in particular. Funny how the Esprit make you do that..!

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Ah, that was you Dave :)

I certainly had to give it some to catch you up!!

Keep off the straight and narrow

Mine has 60,000 miles.... with only about 200 miles put on in the last 2 years... but my engine will be very clean indeed (rebuild and all.. hehehe)

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

139,978 here - all bar around 3k with me, and most done in her first 7 years as a daily driver.

Dave Eds - give me a shout when you're over and we'll see if we can meet up with Glyn Harper here for a hoon!

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

139,978 here - all bar around 3k with me, and most done in her first 7 years as a daily driver.

Dave Eds - give me a shout when you're over and we'll see if we can meet up with Glyn Harper here for a hoon!

12.15 ferry from Newhaven Friday, track booked Sat AM, staying at Sulby Glen, Dawn Raid on Sunday!

Can't wait! :sofa:

Dave.

From Newhaven? I'd head for Heysham or Liverpool instead...

Have PM'd Glyn - hopefully we'll get together. Unless you end up in Dieppe...

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Nifty, congratulations..........superb..........!!!

By the way.........besides my '90 Turbo SE I have a Saab Classic 900 as my daily car............generally known for their long life of service; mostly between 200.000 and 400.00 miles and more.

An American guy drove more than 1.000.000 miles (certified) with his Saab Classic 900 and than turned it over to the Wisconsin Automotive Museum.........after much delibiration it was purchased by Saab-Sweden from the Wisconsin Automotive Museum and it is exhibited now in their museum in Sweden.

Although the story is from 2006 I believe it is rather interesting and you will find his story below.

Best regards, Ruud

post-2213-1224714152.jpg

This Saab story is one in a million

Traveling salesman from Glendale rides trusty vehicle to extraordinary milestone

By RICK BARRETT

[email protected]

Not long after his divorce, Peter Gilbert treated himself to a new sports car - a Saab 900 SPG, which stands for Special Performance Group.

Seventeen years and more than 1 million miles later, Gilbert donated his car to the Wisconsin Automotive Museum. The car survived eight deer collisions, including one that punched a hole in the radiator, before it was parked for safekeeping at the museum in Hartford.

"I couldn't kill that many deer with a gun," said Gilbert, a financial services salesman from Glendale.

Saab, the Swedish car-maker that's a division of General Motors, verified the high mileage on Gilbert's car last summer. Almost everything on the vehicle was original equipment, except for the front hoods and other parts that were replaced after the car-deer collisions.

Gilbert was meticulous about vehicle maintenance, including regular oil changes with premium, synthetic oil. He replaced the car's transmission at about 200,000 miles, but beyond that the engine was hardly touched.

"I knew someone who put 2.5 million miles on a Volvo, but the engine was rebuilt several times," Gilbert said.

Originally from Britain, Gilbert fell in love with Saabs when the cars were winning European road rallies in the 1960s. His trusty 900 SPG was no slouch, either, having once clocked 135 mph at the Road America race track in Elkhart Lake.

"I was taking the lead in a race for a while," Gilbert recalled.

A long journey

That was the same car he drove seven days a week, 365 days a year, racking up extreme mileage in his business travel across rural Wisconsin.

"When I hit 600,000 miles, the car still wasn't burning oil. That's when I thought it could go a million miles," Gilbert said.

But Wisconsin winters, and road salt, took their toll on the sporty little car. While its exterior still looked pretty good, the frame had rusted to the point where it might not have been safe in a serious collision.

"There was no point in driving the car any longer, even though it might have gone another million miles," Gilbert said.

With some sadness, he donated the car to the museum, which has some rare vehicles such as the "Kissel," manufactured in Hartford from 1906 to 1931, and a Nash built in Kenosha in 1916.

For Gilbert, turning over the car's keys to the museum was like putting an elderly family member in a nursing home.

"But I know where the car is, and I can visit," he said. "And before I took her to the museum, I had a full detail job done. She was like a bride getting ready for her wedding. It was the first time that her carpets were thoroughly cleaned in 17 years."

Saab showed some interest in the car and videotaped it when the odometer rolled over the 1-million-mile mark, at a Saab owners' convention in Lake George, N.Y., in August.

Saab executives rode in the car and discussed putting it in their museum in Sweden. Gilbert hoped they would give him a new car, as a replacement, but he didn't get so much as a T-shirt from Saab.

"I am a little disappointed in them," he said.

Maintenance pays off

Putting a million miles on a car, while unusual, is possible with stellar maintenance and a little luck.

"People who get tremendous longevity from a vehicle almost always have taken great care of it," said Joe Wiesenfelder, senior producer for Cars.com, a Web page for car enthusiasts.

To extend the life of his Saab, Gilbert said, he always used premium, synthetic motor oil.

Not everyone agrees that synthetic oil helps. Regular motor oil, changed at 3,000-mile intervals, could be just as good, according to some mechanics.

Most of the things that will make a car last longer aren't very expensive, said Kathleen Schmatz, president of the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association, a trade group.

"The problem is that some people take better care of their sweaters than their cars," she said.

Certain brands of cars, such as Lexus and Acura, are known for reliability. But that's not the same as longevity.

Driving habits are important if you want a car to last for hundreds of thousands of miles.

"I think the single most important thing is not to drive the car hard," Wiesenfelder said. "Anyone who is gradual on the gas pedal and easy on the brakes is limiting friction, shock and other things that cause wear."

Today's cars are built better than ever, and many of them could last for decades.

"A big part of this is a willingness to keep putting money into a vehicle," Wiesenfelder said.

Gilbert paid $29,000 for his Saab, which he bought on Nov. 30, 1989. He replaced it with another one that has far fewer miles.

"There's nothing more to prove," he said about reaching a million miles on one car.

Peter Gilbert's car

A 1989 Saab 900 SPG with 1,001,385 miles.

In 17 years the car used more than 600 quarts of synthetic Mobil-1 motor oil, which can travel significantly more miles between oil changes than regular oil.

In its time, the car burned two tanker-truck-loads of premium gasoline and averaged about 28 mpg.

It went through about 22 sets of tires, changed every 45,000 miles.

The transmission was replaced at about 200,000 miles, but the engine was largely untouched.

The engine head gasket was replaced three times because constant warming and cooling stretched it.

Edited by Ruud