free hit
counters
Catastrophic engine failure - Sport 350 Technical - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel

Catastrophic engine failure

Yep......3rd lap, and the Sport 350 let go in spectacular style........mechanical noises followed by cooling tower type billows of smoke.

The car is still in Germany, I've just flown home and I'm waiting for it to be delivered to me before I can find out what went wrong.

Unfortunately, at the ring, they just send a transporter and cart the car off to a local garage. I've only seen the car to collect a few things out of it.

I'm actually not in the least bit upset, it was going to happen somewhere, I'm glad it happened while I was driving it as it was intended to be driven.

This was my last trip before the engine was due to come out for various maintenance jobs to be sorted over winter.

It'll be back, better, stronger.......I'm not sure about faster, as it absolutely mullers most things at the ring......but it'll certainly want for nothing.....just can't wait to get it back so I can get cracking.

now......anyone want to buy an absolutely immaculate chrome orange S2 Exige?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Daniel,

Very sorry to hear about your engine failure... seems to be the season for engine

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Daniel,

I'm gutted for you. Such stories are aways worrying for fellow V8 owners. As Mike said please let us know what went wrong and please tease us with you planed upgrades.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Danny,

That's a real shame about your car. Are you going to rebuild the engine yourself?

I've also sent you a pm that might come in handy!

Dave Walters

"...This was my last trip before the engine was due to come out for various maintenance jobs to be sorted over winter...."

...as things sometimes go the same way , i know i know B)

sorry to hear that just an other in the forum lost an engine (temporarly)

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

When my engine blew at Snetterton it was at the end of the straight and I noticed clouds of smoke coming the engine vents. Engine was still running and I drove back to the pits and had a good look at the engine. The smoke was coming from the left hand side near the turbo. The turbo had just been rebuilt and I hoped that was the cause but the engine was also misfiring badly.

Anyway the long and the short was I has blown a hole through a piston on the left back. With the head off it was clear that the fragments of metal had damaged most of the other pistons/liners so I didn't even bother having it stripped further to check the crank, etc. I got a rebuilt engine from Lotus - I think it was 'only'

Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

:) Oh $hit bugger, sorry to hear about this. Makes me think twice doing another track day next month! Be interesting to hear what went wrong and hopefully not too expensive to put right. And I guess from there that will determine your new shopping list of uprated parts :sofa:

350.gifNo.23

:Be interesting to hear what went wrong and hopefully not too expensive to put right.

erm...kylie - without want to bring Daniel down too much, (so sorry chap :sofa: ) but - and i know ur just trying to be nice - when did anyone here come across a problem like this that wasnt too expensive??? :)

not that i dont wish you all the best Daniel - been in that boat myself and its not nice...so good luck and hope you can get what it needs, done, and it doesnt take forever!

i went the new engine route when mine let go - Scott at B&C organised a great job and managed to max out my credit card several times :) and the best bit was it did come back BIGGER-BETTER-FASTER-STRONGER... so its not all bad news!!!!!

good luck

jim

Cheers - jim

Hi Neil,

I did pm Danny and this gave him the option of an engine along with other rebuild ones.

The car in question from the other thread, I haven't seen the car in the flesh nor in any picture so I don't know the condition of it apart from it's a front end damage car.

The way current climate is with second hand cars and trying to do and and sell a CAT D it wouldn't be worth repairing. I'd only do this if I didn't have a V8.

I have heard that Lotus no longer have any more V8 engines which were being exchange for

The way current climate is with second hand cars and trying to do and and sell a CAT D it wouldn't be worth repairing. I'd only do this if I didn't have a V8.

I agree completely. It's a shame but you would never recover the cost of rebuilding it when selling. Better to save yourself the hassle and money and just buy a decent second hand V8.

I have heard that Lotus no longer have any more V8 engines which were being exchange for
Edited by neal

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

I've done nothing with it yet as I've been so busy.

Decided to treat myself to a couple of weeks off at Christmas, so hopefully I'll have the engine out and find out then.

I put an ad' on here for cash offers but it's hardly worth selling for what it's probably worth so it'll just have to be a long term project.

I still get to look at it every time I open the garage.....the engine may be goosed, but it makes an awesome bit of garage bling........which reminds me......

PICTURE WHORE OPPORTUNITY

img4409vs5.jpg

there.........I'm in love all over again :hrhr: