free hit
counters
Limited Slip Diff - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The diff in the 300 retails at around

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It would have put nearly 10% on the price which wouldn't have helped sell the cars. I think cost was the issue.

You can buy the 300 diff from Lotus now in their sale and have it fitted or there is a Quaiffe ATB unit which drops straight in you could use.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

http://www.lotus60thanniversary.com/forsale.php

Esprit P691.4703.800EF Differential Assy 1 3,893.97 1,489.25

Evora NA

At the time the factory claimed that there wasn't enough of a difference in track times to justify the expense of fitting an LSD. To be fair, 99% of drivers don't require one and the four pots almost certainly don't have the need for one on the road.

Hi All,

JFYI 99,9% of all Sports Cars donot have LSDs installed from factory ...

If you like to add one to your car, just have a look at the Quaife LSD that is available for our Lotus Esprits.

Marcus

Marcus

Gareth,

I cannot comment on the japanese cars, because I simply dont have a clue on this topic ...

But, all the 911 I have driven so far didn't have one ... except one GT3, but thats something definitely not normal !

I also know that many (if not all) F-cars have one installed.

Oh yes, you are right the BMW M-models also have one.

Hmmmm .... it seems that its a quite mixed scenery ...

What about Maseratis, Lambos, Astons .... ? Honestly, I dont know.

Marcus

Marcus

The only time I ever wished Lottie had one was when she was new and I took a pal for a few laps around Oulton Park (short circuit) in her (we were there testing a modsports car I was racing).

On the approach to Knicker Brook from Cascades she lifted and spun her inside rear wheel, same at Old Hall. But I've NEVER had it happen on the road.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Lotus didn't even put a LSD in the 2-eleven which is arguably their most track focused car ever. I think they said it affected the high speed stability. But even with it's levels of grip I can't imagine that coming out of a tight corner it doesn't light up its inside rear.

As regards the Esprit, the Quaife is one of the best upgrades I've done - but my V8 spends most of its time on the track. However, it has to go hand in hand with a strengthened box since it works more in the lower gears and puts a greater strain on the box.

Price certainly plays a part, as mentioned the Sport 300 LSD was originally

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

The 2-Eleven does not spin it inside tire due to the traction control. It does do LSD type skids though, the kind where the rear wheels are turning slightly faster than the rate of forward travel, so you can steer with the throttle...

Really felt like an LSD.

The X180-R has a ZF clutch type LSD, that really makes it much better on a track, compared to the SE. You can do the same trick, steer the rear end by getting the rear wheels to both turn a bit faster than the forward speed. With the open diff that is not possible.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

FD3S all had a torsen LSD standard

WRX and STi's had LSD's Standard

As did the Evo Lancer Evolution

I too have been curious as to why Lotus skipped this upgrade in such a car like the esprit.

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Many years ago (too many) I raced where we had open diffs. We could change geometry, roll centres, axis and inclinations, shock and roll stiffness. The key being as to how well weight transfer was controlled. The differences between a poor and well set-up configuration was like well having an LSD or not. We did go to LSD's eventually but surprisingly there were some that didn't corner as fast as the open diffs.

I think Lotus, with its expertise, has set up the suspension geometry and stiffness to optimise an open diff to its max. No doubt an LSD is better again but within their sales criteria they probably satisfied near 100% of their chosen market.

DanR

I used to compete with my S3 Elan, and recall that an LSD would have been a good thing. I think I had about 140 hp. The Esprit does not seem to need an LSD, better balance I suspect, of course track work would probably change my mind but for road use no problems.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I recall part of the reason was for safety, for the unexperienced drivers...

The LSD can cause both wheels to spin in low traction circumstances, which leads to the entire car spinning... Something that has caught out at least one driver here on LEF only minutes after installing a Quaife LSD... Resulting in a crash in the wet.

The open diff is more predictable, and safe since the wheel with traction won't spin, and the car should continue straight.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

HI ALL FRIENDS!

How do I know if my car have or no the LSD???

I think that my GT3 ( drived also by a S4s owner) have a system like this!, it's very difficult spin the wheels or drive like drift!

I tried many times to drive hard expecially in the bends and drift but the back is very very very difficult "do out"........

regards from Italy

Alessandro

I'm thinking Alessandro that you don't have an LSD! If you did the tail would "wag" if you power on in a corner.

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

so you think that it's only a balance question???....we say: buhhhh!! :P

my GT3 have too more performance that a GT3 standard...it should have 280HP (chip+larini exhaust+k&n filter+ram mod.,dumpvalve), it have also the v8 big wheels, with the new performance was a very difficult drift now with the V8 bigger tyres I think that should be impossible!

I'm only surprise when I drived a stock s4s, this was a lotus car, the lotus performance always read in the magazine, the "epic" performance!!!

The S4s owner drived too my car and he said me that are 2 different car..............

• 2 weeks later...
Toyota mr2

honda integra

nissan skyline

nissan 200sx

toyota ae86

porsche 911

bmw m3

these are just one's from the top of my head that aren't alot of money to buy..

Not to be overly picky, but the MR2 only had an LSD as an option from 93 to 95 and only on the turbo models (I used to have 2 of them).

I can see a need for the LSD in a modified V8. I kind of enjoy the open diff from a safety point of view. I'd rather light one wheel up in a corner than spin the car.