free hit
counters
Giugaro Esprits - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
perryvax

Giugaro Esprits

Hello, everyone . . . we are in Tampa, Florida, USA. We have been searching for a decent Giugaro Turbo Esprit for some time. There are two here in Florida; we drove one so far (1986 model). It has issues, and the dealer wants $17,900, or $18,900 with new tires and some brake work (which it needs in addition to lots of cosmetic help). The other has a nasty interior and probably isn't worth seeing in person. The third is in Connecticut, at a dealer called "Classic Car Gallery." This is a non-fuel injected Turbo Esprit in white. The dealer claims everything is new and restored including all new hides, new suspension with Spaxx shocks, rebuilt carburetors and turbocharger, new BBS wheels and new tires, fresh paint, etc. It looks amazing, except for the painted bumpers. The A/C has been serviced and works well according to the seller. He also has "reams" of receipts totaling several thousand dollars documenting the restoration. Also many extra parts included with the sale. Asking price is $19,900 with some room for negotiation. He claims the car drives and runs perfectly. I am flying up to CT next week to see the car. Any thoughts on this year Esprit? I would rather Bosch fuel injection instead of the Delortos, but this might be the best mechanical/cosmetic car available right now. Please send your input!! PS, VIN is sccfc40a9dhf60397. The car has only two previous owners, and they both participated in the restoration. It has only 27,000 miles.

Thanks, Rick and Jim

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What year is this car?

I drive a carb'd 81my turbo, as long as i keep it in tune, and don't skimp on cheap fuel, there doesn't seem to be any problems.

'G' cars are holding their value well at the moment, and i would say the price is not bad from a dealer, as for the painted bumpers, i think the color coded bumpers came in about '83?

Dave

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

That white G Turbo is stunning, it was advertised in Classic & Sportscar last month. Website seems to be down ATM though.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Condition is much more important than spec. especially where the sum of the parts costs vastly more than the purchase price. I run a 100000 mile dellorto carb model, which is used regularly. Very reliable and mechanically straightforward. I personally recon an early fuel injection setup may be more troublesome as there are more sensors and obscure things to go wrong.

Good luck with your purchase.

Steve

Could be wrong but in the UK colour bumpers were new in 1985 wth the brake updates. Simonf's car is late 84 with black bumpers mines feb 85 and are coloured. BUT some earlier cars had their owners paint them because they liked them colour coded.

Good luck with the search though.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Hello Richard. I would go for it. Do not worry about the carbs. Much better bet than the mechanical fuel injection. Lotus only put the Bosch on for USA emision requirements.

My 84 Esprit had black bumpers with red bodywork and it just did not look right. Once the bumpers were sprayed red, they looked as though they belonged to the car, not hung on as an afterthought.

The mileage is extremely low. Let the site know when you have purchased it and please attach photo's.

Regards Roger. South Africa.

Thank you all for your input!!! I am going to see the car next week. I am very excited about it!! I will let you know what we decide . . .

Rick and Jim

I've seen that white one for sale as well for quite a while. I have a carb car as well with 117k on it and it runs great. I don't think the white bumpers are correct for a Federal car. The car has nice compomotive style wheels though.

Edited by max kalba

Hi Rick and Jim--

I looked at that one a few weeks ago via pictures--I had some of the imagery examined by a VERY experienced Lotus Mechanic. The salesman supplied some additional pics of the engine compartment that I hope you have viewed as well--these were of engine compartment an the underside of the car when the car was up on the lift. The salesman knew nothing about lotus cars and I had him read some of the receipts to me over the phone--the left gas tank was replaced around 98--but not the right. I'm always curious about the gas tanks, for obvious reasons...at least I hope they are obvious to you. His story at the time...we came to the conclusion that the car had been heavily heat pressure washed on the underside--not to mention some of the heat pressure washing gear was in some of the pictures...we thought the interior looked stellar. I opted to buy another G-body wherein it was rarer (one of the US essex models) that I REALLY had the complete history about...that only had 20K miles on it and had a dry sump with perfect history...There is another one that I think would be a better bet that is for sale from a private individual--serviced by Don Butler--a reputable mechanic..it looks very good in Yellow, as a matter of fact I would go for this one instead of that white one any day and knowing that Don butler Serviced it and coming from someone for the Yahoo list and a private enthusiast rather than a dealer, etc...his name is Dave Cicale his Email address is [email protected] and pics are at

http://www.flickr. com/photos/ [email protected] N04/

I don't know anything else about the car but I'd bet it's a better bet than the white one--he just put it up on the list yesterday--I'd love to have it myself but I already have two and cannot afford another...The car has 61,000 miles. he's asking $18,000. The car is located in southern New Jersey. I only charge $2K for commission!!! hahaha...Tom Neel....

Wow, that Esprit in NJ is striking. However, I don't care for the shade of yellow . . .

I do appreciate the additional information, coming from such an experienced Lotus enthusiast. I find it also curious that only one tank was replaced. Is there some significance regarding the pressure-washing? Could there be damage from that process? Also, I think the dry-sump system was used in models built before March '83. I checked the VIN but I can't find the date of manufacture of this car; I suppose there is an identification plate I can look for when I see the car tomorrow. Can you tell based on the engine photos if this is a wet- or dry-sump vehicle?

I, too, am attracted to the interior condition; so many of these cars are trashed and not maintained properly. If you know of anything I can check for myself while I am there, please, anyone, send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks!!!