free hit
counters
it mite polish out... - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

it mite polish out...

Mds666

i dont think so, but when i get it all apart i may well find out more...

my memory of it is fairly clear, slowed down for a corner, broke in a straight line... changed to 4th... then i think i snatched the clutch or had a wheel on the solid white line... back stepped out and full lock and declutching didnt regain it in time... it wasnt your typical hit the corner too fast, panic lift, and go off on the outside... as you can see from the vid, i went off on the inside...

still driver error...

just glad i didnt collect anyone elese, or have n e one trip over me...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sorry to hear about your experience Mark... The main thing is that you're ok!

I've just shown the missus the picture at the head of this thread saying that you'd walked away - the look on her face was kind of 'and you want to buy one'.

At that point the words started sinking in, and she said 'walked away'???

I am so please to see that the Esprit has proven a superior car, recalling pictures of other cars where the damage has been so much more and sadly that the squishy bit, was.

So pleased that you not only lived to tell the tale, but you were able to walk away from it. I look forward to hearing how you go about putting it back together (as that seems to be your intent).

Watch Basic Instinct for proof of how crash-worthy the Esprit can be.. you get to see one flipped off a highway and land on its roof without it caving in.... And I could be wrong.. but I don't think it involved stunt doubles - I think the take was done for real :D

It's also a great excuse to see Sharon Stone turning round on a chair :)

Edited by EspritMiltonKeynes

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

Ouch! Sorry to see that Mark, gutted that if it had to happen it didn't happen on track :D

Onwards and upwards mate, as they say don't replace, upgrade :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Totally irrelevant to the crash, headlights, I like the idea of going for projector headlights but found it's going to be difficult to get them in the pods, the idea of not having pods and simply mounting then in the body hadn't struck me until I looked at your crashed car.

I may have to investigate that option.

Andy

Mr MOT man was happy with that setup... got them from ebay, search for streetfighter twin bike lights. if your about sooish you can take a look if ive not stripped her already...

Ouch, only just spotted this - good to hear you got out of it ok.

I was wondering if you managed to get it up and running - spoke to you briefly at Donnington.

Well worth reconsidering the rollcage design whilst you're rebuilding it though....

Unlucky that you didn't get the chance to enjoy it a bit more...

Designed the cage myself. - Start with the MSA blue book, all the tubing specs are in it along with all the relevant dimensions with regard to mounting points and joints between tubes etc...

Bear in mind that if you are going to race the car then the roll cage is probably the single most important thing - something i'm sure i don't have to point out to you.

If you're unsure about what you're doing then it's best to find a roll cage manufacturer - Safety Devices used to have a pattern for an Esprit cage but weren't trading when i was building my car, i don't know if they still have the designs though...

Jon

damn i was hoping you had stumbled on some drawings for the x180r's or GT1's... ive already had a scetch up of what i want where...

the MSA requirments are pritty basic... im trying to decide weather to go for MSA min spec or somthing closer to or exceeding the FIA requirments, weight vs safty... which to choose?!...

my plan was to deliver a chasis and shell somewhere and give them a drawing of what i want bent up then get my welder to put it all togeather...

Erm.....maybe i do have some drawings and pictures of the cages as fitted to the various works cars.... :blush:

Trouble is that times and regulations move on so they aren't necessarily relevant now.

The MSA minimum requirements might be pretty basic but they extend all the way up to FIA standards! - safety is not a corner worth cutting imo.

Are you likely to be competing in an international race series? FIA standard pretty much means you'll have to weld the cage in place permanently - somewhat limits how much of the car can be stripped for repairs/rebuilds/modifications in the future. - For example: damaging the rear suspension mounting points....would you want to replace the cage as well as the chassis? - Depends on your budget/access to parts etc

Its worth considering the regs for whichever series/championship you intend to race in as well...

Good luck with the rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Oh dear - that is a real shame. Glad that you are okay.

Not one to congratulate on the link, but the soundtrack is rather good :devil:

Death of a Supercar - Youtube

Mike S

Why does the video link show as private to logged in Lotusforum member?

-Rich

1990 Lotus Esprit SE 4-Pot

• Like 1

I'm guessing because it was posted 7 years ago mate.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.