free hit
counters
Clutch concern? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Just last weekend I took my Esprit out early in the morning on a chilly fall day. I noticed right away that the car did not want to go into reverse gear and there was some grinding. The clutch pedal seemed to grab right off the floor also. I was able to get going but all other gears were hard to get into until the car and the outside temperature warmed up. After that, things seemed back to normal. Both master and slave cylinders were replaced about 3 years ago. Any ideas what this might be, or suggestions as to diagnose the cause?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a hydraulic problem. How's the fluid level in the master cylinder? Check for leaks in the boot and also under the carpet behind the clutch pedal and at the slave cylinder. If no leaks I'd start with a good flush and bleed and go from there.

1995 S4s

Yes, the red hose was done a while ago. Since I filled the fluid back up, things seem to be back to normal, so now I just need to locate the source of the leak. It's been pretty cold here lately so if that is affecting the situation then I may see something. Thanks for the responses.

• 1 month later...

I most certainly wouldn't advise anything but clutch fluid in the clutch line and reservoir.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.