free hit
counters
S1 Gearbox/chassis shims - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
philleech

S1 Gearbox/chassis shims

My rebuilt engine is now bolted back into the car and when I took it all apart (some years ago now!) there were 4 shims between the gearbox hangers and the alloy chassis gearbox mounts on either side. Ive fitted new rubber engine mounts at the front and now the four shims dont want to go back in at the back.

The question is how do I know or what should I measure to ascertain how many shims should go back in..

Cheers

Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sorry Phil

I'm not sure what you mean, do you mean washers on the mounts as spacers ?

Matt

Edited by Matt-watts

1976 Esprit S1 123G, 1976 Esprit S1 166G, 1976 Esprit S1 170G, 1976 Esprit S1 228G, 1977 Esprit S1 564H, 1978 Esprit S1 326G, 1978 Esprit S1 329G, 1978 Esprit S1 336G, 1981 Esprit S2.2 0991, 1997 Elise S1

Yes they appear to be normal washers that were between the alloy brackets that bolt to the rear top chassis rail and the gearbox brackets that support the weight of the engine gearbox assembly.

Phil

Hi Phil

I had the same problem when I refitted my gearbox mounts last week. I just could not get the mount back in the frame rail with the 4 washers in place. I hate to say this but....I gave up out of frustration and fitted the mounts minus the washers :)

not sure if this was a good idea or not. I haven't torqued things down yet, as I still have work to do, so I can drop them out again if those washer really need to be there.

Edited by gtookey

If you're referring to the top aluminium brackets which slot into the top part of the chassis and has three holes in it then mine didn't have any washers at all. I struggled to get the brackets back in the chassis as they were very tight. The other brackets which then have bolts going through them and into the gearbox did have big washers to presumably protect the brackets.

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Apart from widening the frame rail cavity enough to accommodate the mount + washers I can't see it fitting. I didn't want to force open the cavity that much so I left it alone. As Paul says, the lower exposed bushing/hole/bolt/bracket did have washers. I also added an oversized washer to help prevent the bushing from moving forward again.

post-2347-1226234482.jpg

I also added a rubber washer to help with vibration.

Gavins picture shows what I mean. I had the bolt then a washer then the alloy bit with three holes then four washers then the gearbox mount then another washer and finally the nut.

Its all in with the exception of the four washers.

Phil

Mine most definitely didn't have the 4 washers you mention. I wonder if somebody had 'shimmed it' to compensate for worn engine mounts - what are the engine mounts like?

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire