free hit
counters
Bond S1 For Sale At Bonhams............... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Bond S1 For Sale At Bonhams...............

I get some mail alerts through and thought this might be of interest........Not sure if this is the one that has recently been restored or not!

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/public.sh/p...Carsolympiabond

I have also just completed a 3500 mile trip round Europe in my S1, and hope to be posting up the whole Story soon, complete with the Pre and post trip nightmares......!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, this is car 1 of 2. The other is at the "Car of the Stars" Museum in Cumbria. There were 5 body shells, one became Wet Nellie which is at the Beaulieu National Motor Museum. The other shells were sold off by Lotus, without saying they were from the Bond movie!

lotus300.jpg

I Think this is the car that was at the Lotus 60th..... Nick had just done the interior........

If you look at the interior pic it shows the ashtrays in the sills ....strange that because the early S1's all had the central ashtray?????

Hi all, We have just completed the full interior retrim on that car including engine bay and tonneau cover it was here for 3 months as it was in awful condition and was nothing like what it should have been We will post a set of pics in the restoration room in the very near future. I can confirm that it was the original car that was used in the film.

and yes it was on display at the Lotus 60th party, but I went fishing.

Nick Fulcher

Mike Kimberley's 'Can Do' Trim Guru

I haven't posted a lot on here but it was pretty obvious from the shots on the Bonham's website that this was the car Nick and Steve had worked effortlessly on. The quality is unbelievable!!!!!

I now know why I am not too annoyed at having a very expensive engine "re-fresh"; much more time to do the interior!

Edited by douchy77

Guest surferphil

Nice if it is the Bond car, but why is the Reg plate not PPW 306R and why are the wing mirrors wrong? Should have the single side black - shell type, not the later S1.5?

When this was auctioned off before (1998 ish), I remember being amazed at how little it went for

Edited by surferphil

I saw the making of DVD (Spy Who Loved Me) and they said there were 2 cars one with Bond in and a car used by the film crew to 'keep up' with the lead car. :)

So rather like this then:

Bond77.jpg

Here's a another one for you Neil :(.

Bond77b.jpg

If this is one of the cars then my guess is it would probably be the camera car.

I seem to remember someone talking about the Cars of the Stars Museum car which has PPW 306R on it being the one that was used for the main shots.

I think there was something about the spoiler having chips out of it where the gun shots going off on the road damaged the underside of the car.

The damage was still on that car in the museum as i recall...could be wrong tho?

Yes nice one Mark - how did you get those photos? As mentioned PPW with the chassis number I listed is at the Cars of the Starts museum.....so what was this one?

Edited by nello

for a $100k the girls better be included.

The only car I can see being worth the top money would be the 'hero' car. ie the standard unmodified S1 that was used in the film. The camera car and/or stunt car would be worth much less, as generally these cars would of been well abused and/or modified to accommodate filming requirements such as camera mounts, as can be seen in Mark's photo showing the lead Esprit with camera mounted. If the car up for auction is a restored stunt or camera car then it's not really the Bond car. It would be worth much more if it still had the bumps, scrapes and holes left over from filming, well too me anyway.

For 'Goldeneye' they took a TVR 390SE and turned it into a camera car with 3 camera mounts. It was used to film the sequence with the DB5 and the Ferrari.

Edited by GavinT

now this is from memory so details maybe a little sketchy.......back in '76 we lived in Gerrards Cross which is about 15 miles from Pinewood Studios, home of James Bond and the 007 stage. My brother attended a school called 'Gayhurst', which was also attended my Roger Moore's son. Now at some point during the filming of TSWLM Roger collected his son from school in a white S1, which of cause became the buzz of the school. I have no idea if it was PPW 306R or even if it was one of the cars used on location, but Roger definitely had access to a white S1 and was using it for personal use during the studio filming on TSWLM. Now if none of the cars used on location were used in the studio then that would mean that there was at least one other car used on the film.

Edited by GavinT