free hit
counters
cheeky f***ers - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1983-FAMOUS-LOTUS-ES...A1%7C240%3A1318

it really pi$$in me off and no doubt everyone else.........

needs a gypsy curse..... :)

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless I am reading it wrong, it looks like the seller is offering half of anything over reserve to LEF. Maybe I'm naive, but that seems like a thoughtful gesture.

The description of the car's story also looks like it was written from someone here.

(?)

EDIT: I wasn't around to follow all the drama as it unfolded, and am not really sure what happened, so maybe I'm missing something . . . :)

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Details of the history of this famous Lotus. As you will read it has been fully rebuilt mechanically by the Lotus Club and to finish their grand job we have repainted it as the colour had faded in areas - the car is now in excellent condition throughout. I am in contact with the Lotus Club and will offer half of any funds made over and above the reserve if it sells on this auction. The car can be viewed at our showroom - information at www.arunltd.com

A good gesture if it rings true. Sounds like somebody has been in touch, (sure Bibs will let us know if/when this has happened) but if so why are we being refered to as ' the Lotus Club' and not LEF?

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

I've heard nothing. Let me check the mod rooms. Nope nothing in there. Bibs?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

For your information Bigsi was talking with us about swapping his Lotus for several months as he had a problem fitting in it comfortably and couldn't afford to keep it and buy another car. We can understand you all being upset at him selling it after all of your hard work and I would like to add he was extremely distressed when we picked it up and took it away. However you and he had alot of pleasure from it and you upvalued his car so that he could buy a good usable replacement. I would think that is commendable.

In turn no one has asked us to do this and consequently our offer is quite genuine in that we will give half of anything over over and above the reserve to either LEF or a charity of your choice if the car sells on EBAY. We feel that what started off as an offer of kindness has turned sour and we can see it from both sides - rather than it continue we would be very pleased if the car now went to someone who could enjoy it and it LEF can raise some money then all the better.

If you feel that we have acted out of turn then just say and we will remove it from the sale.

If you feel that we have acted out of turn then just say and we will remove it from the sale.

My personal opinion is that it's a generous offer.

If the car sells at more than the reserve (don't know how much that is so can't guess as to how likely it it) then I think the destination of the proceeds you've offered should be decided by those that donated their time or money to the project. So I'm offering no opinion on that.

Andy

IMO its decent of Dominic to come on here and try to take the heat out of the situation. The offer is also a nice touch.

However, the reality is that an its old turbo G-car, in good condition but that's been well used albeit restored. So in the current market, just before Christmas, its going to surprise me if it makes the

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

You are wise beyond your years, James. :)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

IIRC

the starting price last time it appeared was about

Edited by theelanman

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

tough call for someone to to make, but the sellers feedback on ebay is not super good ,

as a minor contributor to the project I would like to see the whole profit go to charity

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

IMO its decent of Dominic to come on here and try to take the heat out of the situation. The offer is also a nice touch.

I think it's incredible Dominic has come on here.

:)

Personally, i think we have 100%, F-all, zero, not even the slightest right,

to start telling a car dealer what price he should sell a car that HE OWNS.

Someone took a car that THEY OWNED, to a car dealer.

They PX'd for another car that THEY NOW OWN.

The dealer now OWNS the car he has now got up for sale.

The dealer has NOTHING to do with LEF.

WHO are we to tell him what to do with the money?

WHY should he come here and offer us anything at all?

WHO are we to him?

I think Dominic is being very very kind here when he has no reason to be.

He has no reason to come here and offer a group of strangers some money

from the sale of a car that THEY DID NOT OWN.

It was our choice to do the work for free. If i helped my neighbour do some painting

and then he sells his house and then the next owner sells it on, then do i start crying

about the cost of the paint, my time, and be begging a stranger for some money, or

telling him what to do with his?

No, of course not, as i'd look and sound like a right prick.

:(

How many cars does Dominic sell?

Does he leave the cars best features and and interesting history out of his adverts?

Should he phone the friends associates of the past owners and see if they are happy with the price?

Should he consider passing money down the chain to the friends of previous owners?

No. obviously. He would be mad to.

He's being kind here when he has no reason to be.

We should let it go, it's like poison that has spent too long in the forum

and has all but sucked the enjoyment out of it for me. The plus side is

that it makes the thought of selling a bit less painful, but thats about it.

Yawn...

sterb103.gif

I'm with Paul on this.

Dominic would have given trade-in value for the car in the condition the car was in when he bought it. He received no benefit from the work and money that members of the forum put in to rebuild the car. He owes us nothing on the car and I don't see how anyone can complain about his offer.

What we do want is someone in the Lotus community to buy it and treat it well and keep it properly maintained (rather than polished) so it doesn't get into a rough state again.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I agree. Dominic showed alot of guts coming on here and posting and as such I think he gains my respect as an industry Professional. Normal attitude is "It's ours we'll do what we want and stuff you lot". Not what Dominic is doing.

How Dominic is aware of the situation I am unsure but as long as the reserve is reasonable then I think thats fine.

Whether it's the right time to be selling something is neither here nor there. The motor trade make a living by trading motors so he's got to sell it!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I too think it's a generous offer (I might even have to revise my opinion of the motor trade) but then I didn't give up my spare time to work on it. If I had, I probably wouldn't have the same opinion :unsure:

Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Dominic, thanks for taking the time to join up and for the offer which is very kind and generous of you.

I'm pretty tired of Simon and his car to be fair, I thought we'd concluded this some time ago but it appears it's going to be another problem to deal with. I/we have never been interested in a return on the car, please either keep the profit for yourself, it's your car and your business after all or donate what was to come to LEF to a charity of your choosing. If you're looking for a suggestion, perhaps MIND or similar who can, in my opinion, help people like Simon in the future or we've raised money for Macmillan in the past who are a very worthy cause. :unsure:

We, as you can see, need to draw a line under this episode and move on to happier and nicer things!

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Andy! :censored:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

As this garage is not far from me I popped in today and finally got to have a look at the Esprit

This book is guaranteed to NOT change your life…but it does mention a Lotus Esprit...

To enjoy this masterpiece, download Martin now. Simples!!!