free hit
counters
Central Door Locking Module - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
superdavelotus

Central Door Locking Module

I been trying to look for mine for past few weeks but can't find it. I know it's in the region of the front/side passenger bulkhead but I've had my speakers out and my side face vents. I've also had a good look underneath but no joy. In the manual, there's no picture, just a one liner!

Does anyone know exactly where it is? It's in a different place to the pre 98 V8 apparently.

Dave Walters

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks Mark! That's great, except I can't work it out. Must have had a long day! WIll have a look later

Dave

I don't think the post 98 has a seperate module does it? I thought it was all controlled from the alarm module which is mounted to the back of glovebox. (lotus position in the passenger footwell I'm afraid!)

I've got post 98 wiring in my car now, and I certainly didn't fit a CDL module, and didn't see one in the wiring diagrams either, which I got to know intimitely.

no cdl function on my 98, it all goes with the fob ! the cdl and arm/disarm immobilizer functionality of the door locks was available only in the pre-cobra alarm system ...

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

well that's confused me!

My key locks don't activate the opposite door but my key fob still works.

I've found an acuator control module on this V8 Se Iam breaking but can't find anything on my car that looks like it.

I don't think it's the solenoid on the doors as the driver's side doesn't work neither and both wouldn't have gone at same time.

It's not causing me any problems as my doors all lock with fob.

Dave

Ive got the same problem with my GT3, I assume its the same setup as yours Dave?

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

Hi Chris,

I've never really noticed it before. I've always used the key fob. Never had the need to lock with key but recently when I took my ECU out, I tried to lock the car with key then I noticed. Is this a problem or is it the way it should work with the Cobra alarm? I suspect not...

Dave

wasn't there an note in the owners manual that the key-lock function is only available in Pre-cobra (without "key-fob") cars !? All later cars should have an cdl function controlled by the fob activated cobra system only. The way you can lock this system does have two different ways: there was an note that it makes an difference if you first press the button and than turn the key in 'lock' position, or if you turn the key in the door and than press the key-fob button. If you want to enter the car again, the passenger side will open (unlock) together with the drivers side -and in the other way the drivers side only.... .

Bud an simple turn of the key in the drivers door never activated an cdl functionality in my car...

Edited by G

Is mine actually broken then? Can you operate both door using the key on a post 98 V8? Reading my owner's manual, there's nothing in there to say can?

Like I say, I've never really checked before.

Deadlocking on both doors work now I've syncronized them.

Can someone confirm if there doors both open and lock using just the key?

Dave Walters

same as my, the key can only lock the door in which it is inserted. the synchronized lock/unlock sound of both doors together does only work with the cobra system key-fob. If i turn the key in the opposite (fully horizontal) direction it does nothing (no lock/unlock sound on the opposite door notable)

You know, I'm glad you started this thread Dave as I've spent hours, and lots of emails to Lotus trying to sort this issue.

As some of you may know, I fitted the later doors and wiring loom to my 88 Esprit, along with the dash.

as you've all found yourselves, I could only get my doors to lock/unlock from the fob, not from the drivers lock.

I spent hours checking and testing all the pulses to the wiring on the door locking modules, only to be disapointed that I can't get the doors to centrally lock/unlock from the key.. only from the fob.

Having looked again at the wiring diagram, there aren't enough wires going to the passenger door lock to facilitate a pulse from the drivers door. That is, the functionality for lock/unlock the opposite door just from the key is impossible. It's only possible from the cobra module, and this doesn't recieve a lock/unlock pulse when the key is used.

What has confused me for so long is that the switching and wiring is in place to do this.. to a point.. but not enough to make it happen.

So, it looks like that's one thing I can scrub off the 'things to fix' list! it's not fixable :censored:

Car Jackers can't get very far where Glyn lives!

Dave Walters

The GT3 door lock relay is definitely in the passenger footwell, on the bulkhead and is a SAAB one if I recall.....

Tim B

Not on a post 98 V8 it isn't. They don't have one.

Earlier V8's and maybe Gt3 may have them. I should know as Iam breaking one.

Dear,

I would like some more information on this topic. The passenger door is not locking on my Lotus Esprit V8 LHD from 2001. 

We are trying to find the problem so we are currently wanting to test the CDL module. But we can't seem to locate it.

So the documentation says it's located at the passenger footwell, but for me that would be my on drivers side?

But I'm also confused by your answers saying that the car may not have it? Is it then send from the Alarm Module?

Thank you for your help.

Kr,

Vincent

On 19/11/2008 at 18:29, superdavelotus said:

Not on a post 98 V8 it isn't. They don't have one.

Earlier V8's and maybe Gt3 may have them. I should know as Iam breaking one.

On 19/11/2008 at 17:12, doct93 said:

The GT3 door lock relay is definitely in the passenger footwell, on the bulkhead and is a SAAB one if I recall.....

Tim B

On 10/11/2008 at 19:27, hedgerley said:

Theres a picture in my copy Dave, Section ML Page 42:

Bump ^

Hi there,

if the module is there then it’s just behind the carpet above a ledge on the passenger side of the car as the instructions suggest. So on your car it would be on the right side. When I broke the V8 way back in 2008, it wasn’t there.

if one side of your locking isn’t working, Have you checked the door locking mechanism and that it’s receiving the signal? That’s the first place I’d be looking.

2 minutes ago, superdavelotus said:

Hi there,

if the module is there then it’s just behind the carpet above a ledge on the passenger side of the car as the instructions suggest. So on your car it would be on the right side. When I broke the V8 way back in 2008, it wasn’t there.

if one side of your locking isn’t working, Have you checked the door locking mechanism and that it’s receiving the signal? That’s the first place I’d be looking.

The reason I'm doubting because the car are created in LHD / RHD so the documentation is sometimes not very accurate :) 

The door mechanism isn't receiving any signals so we suspect it's the central door locking or alarm module. The car is locking with the keys but not with the cobra.

That’s weird, mine locks both doors with fob but only one door with key? Silly question but what position is your drivers door lock?

3 minutes ago, superdavelotus said:

That’s weird, mine locks both doors with fob but only one door with key? Silly question but what position is your drivers door lock?

With the Key only 1 door is locked each time indeed. With the fob both should be locked but it's not working, only the driver side door is getting locked with the fob.