free hit
counters
S4 : lowering car (springs ?) - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all,

I'd like to lower my S4 a little bit : is this possible by only replacing the springs ? I'd like to have it lowered by 3 cm at the back, 2 cm at the front.

Does anyone know where to get a set of springs ? And about pricing :D ?

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Paul, nearly every post you make refers to Esprit Engineering, are you sure your name isn't Geoff!?

Hans, you need to think deeply about changing the ride height of your car and it's effect on the dynamics of the vehicle. I fear that once you've lowered the car it will lose it's ability to handle correctly at speed. Have you looked into the implications of wheel alignment and how you'll compensate for the shorter springs?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I might be speaking out of turn, but I would highly recommend this book

http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Your-Car-Handle/dp/0912656468

I might be a bit old now and there may be better ones, but the laws of physics don't change.

For the cost it can save you a set of springs and shocks that make your car worse. It explains weight distribution, role centres, polar moment of inertia, role stiffness, it's great stuff and invaluable if you want to alter suspension.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Hi,

Yes it is possible but how much you would want to lower the car by is the question,

If you want to lower the car just slighty then just measure your spring height, and diameter inner

and outer and then get in touch with a company like WWW.COILSPRINGS.COM or co.uk cant

remember. And they will make you a set to your specific requirements. About 170 sterling

if i remember.

The thing that you must remember is that the esprit is all about the handling and given that its

chassis and suspension was made by probably the best enginnering company in the world,

As other people said you dont want to mess around with it or things could change

and not for the better.

Your best bet is to uprade the shocks for fully ajustable aswell if you do decide to change the springs

aswell,

Hope this helps regards danny

A

thanx all , I'll consider a full suspension program whenever I would change anything on springs/dampers

I'll leave it as is for the time being ... although it's on my wish list :D

Paul, nearly every post you make refers to Esprit Engineering, are you sure your name isn't Geoff!?

Hans, you need to think deeply about changing the ride height of your car and it's effect on the dynamics of the vehicle. I fear that once you've lowered the car it will lose it's ability to handle correctly at speed. Have you looked into the implications of wheel alignment and how you'll compensate for the shorter springs?

Bibs: I dont believe that Hans needs to worry about that for a minute!

I have had amazing success lowering the Esprit even up to 40mm (the limit IMO):

Hans: Expect the following:

Improved steering feel

Lighter steering

Improved handling

Less body roll

Slightly stiffer ride (not bad though)

Much improved appearance

If you CANT get lower springs:

Simply remove the OE springs and shorten them the amount you want to lower the car based on this formula:

The front motion ration is 1.5 to 1 so only remove 0.66 times the amount you want the car lowered eg: 30mm lower=20mm removed. On the rear the MR is nearly 1:1 so remove the amount you want to lower the car. Once you remove the spring height, have the machinist flatten and grind the top of the spring so it will sits more or less square in the spring pan (allow for this in the calcs).

I strongly suggest you get the springs removed and cut professionally because the fronts especially need to have special tools to remove and replace them in the shock assy.

Trust me.. its worth it , Jan

Hi all,

I'd like to lower my S4 a little bit : is this possible by only replacing the springs ? I'd like to have it lowered by 3 cm at the back, 2 cm at the front.

Does anyone know where to get a set of springs ? And about pricing :thumbup: ?

Ride height differential is important.. lowering the rear more than the front may or may not give the desired handling results. I would perhaps consider swapping to a SPAX type adjustable ride height rear shock so you can play the ride height settings. If you go that route then getting SPAX type all round, with adjustable damper settings is worth it as well since adjusting damper settings can affect the cars transient handling characteristics. J

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..

Flatulence steer :cry: Good in cross wind(s) then :)

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

What you mean ? about the suspension issue or the use of missing words ? :)

Each to their own but if you want a low rider Esprit dont expect it to behave like an Esprit - if you drop the car 30-40mm and hit a deviance in the road at speed expect the car to do all sorts of wierd things. If you turn a sweeping corner expect the suspension to bottom out and the steering to go wibbly wobbly. Change its ratio front to back is asking for even more trouble.

If you drop the car, fit stiffened springs and or adjustable dampers, or you risk all sorts of nasty stuff happening - bump steer being one of them where the suspension absorbs something like a dip in the road and the front goes into toe out and drags the steering to one side sending you into the armco at 70mph.....

Nee offence but I think the advice of cutting the standard springs is just plain dangerous ! :)

FWIW the standard car has a ride height tollerance of +/- 5mm

facebook = [email protected]

I might be speaking out of turn, but I would highly recommend this book

http://www.amazon.com/How-Make-Your-Car-Handle/dp/0912656468

I might be a bit old now and there may be better ones, but the laws of physics don't change.

For the cost it can save you a set of springs and shocks that make your car worse. It explains weight distribution, role centres, polar moment of inertia, role stiffness, it's great stuff and invaluable if you want to alter suspension.

hey I got that book too!

good stuff

chris

90SE

just because I don't CARE doesn't mean I don't UNDERDSTAND

What you mean ? about the suspension issue or the use of missing words ? :)

Each to their own but if you want a low rider Esprit dont expect it to behave like an Esprit - if you drop the car 30-40mm and hit a deviance in the road at speed expect the car to do all sorts of wierd things. If you turn a sweeping corner expect the suspension to bottom out and the steering to go wibbly wobbly. Change its ratio front to back is asking for even more trouble.

If you drop the car, fit stiffened springs and or adjustable dampers, or you risk all sorts of nasty stuff happening - bump steer being one of them where the suspension absorbs something like a dip in the road and the front goes into toe out and drags the steering to one side sending you into the armco at 70mph.....

Nee offence but I think the advice of cutting the standard springs is just plain dangerous ! :)

FWIW the standard car has a ride height tollerance of +/- 5mm

Thanx all for the info !

I will not lower the car for the time being, since I need to wait a while for having my wheel arch extensions installed (roadworks on the way to the workshop !). I'll think about having a new suspension set, bit afraid to adapt my current springs. I asked around to find appropriate springs only, but seems very hard to find !

Thing is : I know lowering the car will impact the driving behavior but the gap between the wheel and the body is simply too big !

Thing is : I know lowering the car will impact the driving behavior but the gap between the wheel and the body is simply too big !

Might be a good idea to post a picture up so we can see......that's certainly not a criticism leveled at the esprit often.

Maybe there's a reason yours is sitting too high?

Do you think esprit's in general sit too high?

Might be a good idea to post a picture up so we can see......that's certainly not a criticism leveled at the esprit often.

Maybe there's a reason yours is sitting too high?

Do you think esprit's in general sit too high?

here's my picture gallery :

S4

and here you can compare to other Esprits in Germany :

Nurburgring

Most of them sit lower I reccon. My car had already the V8 wheels when I bought it, as far as I know that's the only thing that changed.

When I got my 350, it felt like a chopper and looked really squat at the back.

I phoned the factory and they gave me the ride height dimensions (with driver and passenger) and it was miles out.

The dims were given to me from the bottom of the rear sub frame (centre) and the bottom of each suspension arm at the front.

I suggest you give the factory a jingle and get the dim's......or post them up and ask if someone with an S4 would be kind enough to measure theirs.

From those pics, it does look a little high, but I'd deffo check against factory settings before I go dicking around with ride heights.

If you're prepared to alter stuff for visual effect if the handling suffers.......an esprit is not the car for you......it's a Lotus, it's all about the handling man.

I'll try to find out, I'll haver a look on the service manual first. I need to have my car serviced this winter (A service) so I can ask those guys as well (the head of technicians in Antwerp has +25 years of experience !)

I know I shouldn't change handling and I won't, just thought my car sits a bit too high and I guess I might be right.

I do have an appointment with a former Belgian F1 pilot (and former British F3 champion) next spring to have my car taken on a circuit, him driving off course, guess he'll tell me exactly what and how about handling. He does own some Esprit's and he's totally fond of them !

I've stolen a picture from your album:

web.jpg

(Pretty looking car) If you're wanting to change things purely for cosmetic reasons, then can I suggest bolting a set of V8/S4S arches on? That will give it the illusion of a reduced gap between wheel and body without upsetting the car's dynamics.

74515.2002.Lotus.Esprit.V8.jpg

thinking about it......really hard.....till it hurts......

I'll bet that those wheels have the incorrect offset for that car, and that it was raised to stop the tyres rubbing on the arches.

So yeah, if you want to keep those wheels, you'll have to have the body trimmed and V8 arches fitted.

thinking about it......really hard.....till it hurts......

I'll bet that those wheels have the incorrect offset for that car, and that it was raised to stop the tyres rubbing on the arches.

So yeah, if you want to keep those wheels, you'll have to have the body trimmed and V8 arches fitted.

Found a set of the second hand here on site, I should have them installed during winter ; only problem is roadworks on the way to the workshop, so impossible to get there for the time being ...

Don't think they raised the car, I'll ask next time @ Lotus garage, guess they did it, since previous owner had his maintenance done there.

And since 'patience' is not in my dictionary, I'm having a hard time :)

@ GKP : thanx :) Wheel arches are coming ! (soon, supposedly)

Always thought mine looked a bit high, in fact it has more ground clearance than my Twintop and the wife's astra coupe. I know the S3/Turbo's had a similar look

But are you saying that there are suspension settings that can make the car sit higher/lower ?

post-5016-1228215627.jpg

mine does look a lot like yours about ride height !

Yes indeed, there are complete sets with fully adjustable dampers