free hit
counters
Artie's Engine - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Artie

Artie's Engine

Thanks guys! Yah, it's been some slow progress. I will venture out later to get some gasket material and put the thermostat housing on and glue up the the chargecooler plate onto the chargecooler.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Okay, it's freezing cold here, but got a couple of heaters for the garage to help take the edge off. Got some small items finished up today, here you go!

Bolted up the turbo, oil drain and feed lines

espritrandrandrebuild10zh5.jpg

w1600.png

Throttle bodies, intake manifold and plenum back plate assembled

espritrandrandrebuild10te6.jpg

w1600.png

espritrandrandrebuild10fd3.jpg

w1600.png

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

looking great Artie,

r u going to put black silicone hoses instead of the red ones?

and the coolant hoses from jae what color r they going to be?

Guest Slegs

Hey Artie! Incredible work there neighbor! I wish I could swing by and help out with the upcoming work but this time of year is crazy... Really sorry to hear about your year. You know, I'm going through very VERY similar circumstances and if it ends up like that, then so be it. Things happen for a reason right?!?! I could see myself living happily ever after in a 4 car garage with an apartment loft above.. Anyway, hang in there and let me know if there is anything that I can do to help out!!!

John

Artie, judging by that top picture, I really think that engine is a bit of an overkill for a tricycle, you should put back were it belongs, in the Esprit. Oh and it may be the photo but the heat shield between the cams and the turbo, more polish. Roger :rolleyes:

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

John,

I had no idea, I'm gutted for you mate(listen to me like I'm a british bloke now!). The year has been a constant struggle to stay afloat emotionally! If you like, Pm me and I'll get you my cell number we can talk, cars or whatever. The court date is Jan 14 and should be final by Feb 14! How fitting divorce final on Valentines day! Thanks Bitch...er uh, honey!!LOL. Anyway, I'll be driving out to see my folks in Sparta after xmas for a few days. I'll be driving with the kids, is Knoxville on the way there? I'd love to stop in and see the car and talk. Sorry again, I agree on the 4 car garage. I didn't make out too bad, I kept the house with my oversized 3 car garage and the lift will be ordered as soon as the finances are replenished after the engine goes in!

Tony,

Yes, all the silicone will be black including the turbo couplers and all vacuum lines! Coolant hoses will be the black silicone as well from JAE! Hope you are happy about that!

Roger,

Ya mate, just using the tricyle for a mock-up! Seems to fit quite well. Engine is actually going in a pink Barbie jeep! Should be fast, I may put some 5 point harnesses for the kids! You think that is a good idea?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I've got everything on the engine now, awaiting ONE bolt from JAE for the flywheel and I can install the clutch and trans!!!Hoping to drop her in on Sunday....Stay tuned for more pics!!!!!Woohoo!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

After some lows through the year, it sounds like 2008 is going to end on a great note for you Artie!

Cheers to you and 2009.

;)

John,

Cheers to you! I'll post some pics later today if I can. My hope is to have a video and audio clip of starting her up! I am hoping to do that on Christmas Eve. My present to ME! If not I'll just drink a lot!!!

Cheers,

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Okay, some progress today! Got the bolt for my flywheel and installed the clutch! Tomorrow I plan to attach the gear box and put the new plugs in with the wires. getting close!

Artie

Here's the intake manifold in place and plenum on.

espritrandrandrebuild11hs7.jpg

w1600.png

Clutch installed. S4s clutch and lightened flywheel. JAE makes a very nice replacement flywheel, I'm very impressed with the quality and finish!

espritrandrandrebuild12vw0.jpg

w1600.png

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Artie,

I need to get the coolant hoses to so was wondering what colors they had available,

I have the same s4s clutch & flywheel, little harder pedal but more clamping force, great grip

and smooth engagement,

only problem the springs that I marked on ur picture r very weak thin sheets of metal,

on my first one all three of them snapped my pressure plate came out in two peaces,

I put my second one in and couple thousand miles later cracked one of them again,

the s4 clutch didn't have that problem couse it would slip with very high power,

if those springs r upgraded with thicker material and clutch disk relined with kevlar material

it will make a very strong clutch kit

getting close can't wait to c the videos of ur great car running

Tony,

So If I spent the $700 or so on the clutch, I should have it completely rebuilt even though it's brand new? Has anyone else had the problem you describe? I don't see much difference in the thickness of these springs on my ACT HD clutch for my RX7 which is a pretty high hp app too. 450hp or more. Have never had that problem with the Rx7.

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Wasn't there some sort of throw out bearing difference between the two clutches as well? I thought I heard of a problem like this but the source was that the Throw-out bearing was the wrong one and cut up the fingers...????

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Great! Now I don't need to be worrying about more crap!! I'm already nervous getting this together! The clutch came with the S4s flywheel and S4sclutch and throwout bearing so all should be matched correct?

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Artie,

I've replaced a couple of S4s clutches/flywheels for myself and others and haven't had any problems. My S4s is significantly higher hp than stock. I can't say for sure if they are the same clutch you have pictured but they all came from JAE.

And, with all those shiny new looking bits on your car, go ahead and spend a few more bucks for a polished alloy wastegate actuator from Forge Motorsports. It's the "dogs bollocks" as our UK mates would say....:)

Cheers,

1995 S4s

the s4s has different more expensive throwout bearing,

u shouldn't be worried most of the stuff I got were from jae and never had issues with them,

I drove the car very hard with around 400whp, pushing it hard on down shifts @ high rpms I

think cosed my flywheels to explode,

Jim, you saw that too eh? I looked at that and was like. I spent all this time and money and look at that poor wastegate!Lol. The clutch is from JAE and was informed by Jeff that I need not worry! I wont then.

Good news though......Engine is in!

enginerebuild1108046gn8.jpg

w320.png

enginerebuild1108049qv3.jpg

w320.png

enginerebuild1108052ay0.jpg

w320.png

enginerebuild1108054xg8.jpg

w320.png

Polished fuel rail installed

enginerebuild1108040gj9.jpg

w320.png

Edited by Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

nice and shiny I need to figure out this imageshack so I can make the pics bigger,

gearbox looks great, looks like paint or did it clean up that good

Tony,

Cleaned it off with a power washer first then let it dry! Then I used wheel paint so it won't come off with gasoline or brake cleaner like regular paint! Came out very nicely I think too!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Whoo hoo for you!!

Santa Claus really is coming to town !!!

That's what I was thinking! Oh, and here's a picture of my remote mounted oil cooler with 2 spal ATV fans! Nice!

Artie

5.2" SPAL sealed bearing and motor fans. 3.6amp draw each and 313cfm each!!!!

enginerebuild1108041qj4.jpg

w320.png

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

You mentioned that you thought this oil cooler would be sufficient... LOL!!! THAT THING IS HUGE!!! Wow... I doubt you'll ever have oil temp problems! Great to see the Engine in too man!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Guest Slegs

Good News Artie! Sparta is only like 1 hour west of Knoxville on I-40... It would be great to have you stop by and check out the progress (or lack thereof in my opinion) and help me figure out this contortion of an adaptor plate.... I'm by know means stupid, but this thing has me constantly scratching my head and drinking (errr, I mean thinking). Cell phone # is 865-765-1100. Call anytime and lets chat!!! That goes for anyone btw! New shoes for the Esprit ("Lindsey") arrive next week! 19" front and rear (275/30/19 R, 245/35/19 F)!!!!