free hit
counters
Artie's Engine - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Artie

Artie's Engine

John,

That's cool, I might see if I can sneak away from my folks for a few hours and come by, I'll call. Which wheels did you go with ?

Trevor,

Thanks man! I'm down to little things. I need to put my chargecooler pump on the lower frame rail. I need to put the accessory belts on and the alternator in. I am at the point where I need to put the roll pins in the axle stubs, but need to read up on the procedure as I know these are prone to leaking and I don't want that to happen! Anyone have simple procedure and tips to do this easily.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Okay, well progress is steady! Lots of little bits to do but made some head way today.

espritrandrandrebuild13go0.jpg

w1600.png

Here's the remote mounted oil cooler. Mounted on the exhaust hangar, which I'm not using(remember the monster pipe thread?) Using 2 5.2 inch 315cfm SPAL sealed BB ATV fans!!! 630CFM from 2 small fans!

espritrandrandrebuild12uz7.jpg

w1600.png]<a  href=http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/espritr...jpg/1/w1600.png' alt='a>'>

espritrandrandrebuild13bj7.jpg

w1600.png

espritrandrandrebuild13si1.jpg

w1600.png

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hey Artie,

Merry Christmas !

Great to see it in there. Excellent. Can

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Mike,

Thanks, and Merry Christmas right back! How's the weather? Don't you have a heater for your shop? I'm hoping to have it running by next weekend(not this coming one)! Now is when I start getting a little nervous! You know the feeling, I'm sure... Did I do this right, did I do that right. Did the guy building the engine miss anything? Were the big bearings put in right and measured.....Blah, blah, blah!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hey Artie,

Weather is COLD.... but sunny. The workshop/warehouse is so big, that my heater really isn

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I just get nervous when I have to rely on someone else to do stuff for me! I don't let anyone drive my cars much less work on them! I get really apprehensive with setting the timing and it wasn't in timing position when it was delivered back home! So now I'll have to rotate it by hand to check the timing and be sure it is spot on before I start her up!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Artie,

Just read this entire thread from start to finish. Looking good mate. :) Sorry to hear about the other crap. Maybe this will make it all good. Looks like nice work done so far.

Definitely need sound clips etc once it's running. (Actually, anyone, how do I post a sound clip if I want to?)

Michael

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

No worries Mate! I'll take a video of starting her up for the first time, idling and definitely drive by!

Getting close. I'm in Tennessee for a few days so I won't post new pictures, but hopefully when i return home on Tuesday, I can finish up all the loose ends and start her up!!!!

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

:)

Okay! Well, hit a slight road block! Should have replaced the water pump! Damn seal is bad now and is leaking from the weep hole! The only GD thing I didn't replace and several of you mentioned that I should go ahead and replace it.....WISHED I HAD LISTENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhh. Now I have to wait for Monday to order a rebuilt one from JAE and take the old one off. Good news is this is what I need to do and the car is ready to start again. I have the battery waiting to install and everything else is set. I'll reset the timing and start er up! I'll keep you all posted.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hang in there buddy!!! At least you know what it is, and where it goes! It's the anticipation that makes it all worthwhile ......

Soon enough mate. :)

John,

Yeah, thanks for the perspective! True enough! I'll keep you posted! Cheers!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Yeah Jim, tell me! Should have just listened to you and replaced it when they were putting it back together! M-F'r . Anyway, I spoke with the builder, Jeff and several others who saw no reason to replace it if it was working when I pulled the motor! I knew Murphy was sneaking up on me, everything was going on as planned to date, then this! And as luck would have it, Jeff at JAE said his last pump core was sold a few weeks after I inquired during the build when he had one on the shelf! So now I have to pull mine and wait for it to be rebuilt!! Damn U Murphy! Alas, everything else is done! I'll rotate the engine to timing position and slacken the timing belt, then proceed to destroying my knuckles and my nerves pulling the pump off. I'll have to invent some new super short tools to get my big assed hands up there to remove and reinstall it! Arhhh!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Awww shoot man! That sucks! I feel for ya buddy!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

Ahh, I'll be out of town for a few days and busy all weekend so I'm not sure where I'lll find time to do this right now! But I will MAKE time!

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

I'm really surprised that Jeff didn't recommend rebuilding it when you had it out as the seal does go bad and I have an opinion that leaving it dry for a period of time (while the engine is out) will put a marginal seal over the edge as it happens too many times to be coincidence. That's one of the things that's on my must-do list if the engine is out along with valve shims, cam belt and tensioner and front crank seal.

Good luck

1995 S4s

and mine's been sitting out for a long long time now... and I had just gotten it done before I pulled the engine apart! :censored:

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

DOH! Well, no sense crying over spilled milk! I have yet to get the thing off as time is scarce with me back to work and caring for the kids 4 days of the week. Then there's the new girlfriend, she likes to see me too! Jeez, I just want it done....I'm considering bringing it to the shop that built the engine just to finish it up for me....Yikes, I must be getting old now!

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

"The end justifies the means" - Karl Marx.

Once you finally get to drive her again, it will have all been worthwhile.....

Chin up and carry on!

Cheers John! Scheduled all day sunday for removal and prep for reinstallation! Hopefully we'll be ready in a couple of weeks!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Got the pump off, and shipped out to JAE, hopefully we'll have the pump back for reinstallation by end of next week! Fingers(and toes) crossed!

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

In the meantime, get yourself some M6 studs with allen socket heads, the longer the better. Screw a couple lightly into the block where the water pump bolts go, then when the time comes you can hang the pump on them to ensure proper alignment without smearing too much sealant everywhere. Install the remaining bolts, use an allen key to remove the temporary studs, then install the remaining bolts.

Edited by sanj

Visit Sanj's Lotus Esprit Turbo SE pages

Thanks Sanj, I was going to post if anyone had suggestions to make the reinstall easier. It was a bear to get the pump past the timing belt and stuff! I reckoned it would be a pain to reinstall. Cheers! I'll post progress again when complete! Soon people, soon!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

93 RX7.....Silverstone

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm