free hit
counters
Woolworths - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Woolworths

rogerch

Now I want all you British residents to take care when expressing opinion, releasing data, relating news items etc, it seems big brother is taking undue interest I give you Damian Green.

Unless he released information that might compromise national security, which I doubt, from the "Immigration, then that is very ugly, time for Gordon to go, not next month, now.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an ex-Immigration Officer (currently in the local B&B by the Factory for the sale) I'm already keeping an eye out for the black Omegas....

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Nice to meet you today John.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

The saying in my family was that a place could only be counted as a town if it had a Woolies, otherwise it was just a village... to be honest it's all part of the nostalgia of them existing as a quality "everything under one roof" emporium. Remember when they had a good plant section? I always loved browsing the selection of fruit trees, have planted quite a few of them over the years at various places I've lived :)

Actually, the problem isn't that Woolworths have sold the same stuff for 30 years, it's that they've been engaged in a race to the bottom with the pound shops to stock a narrow selection of cheap tat in any category you can think of. They didn't seem to understand the difference between 'value' and 'cheap'. Whilst I think it's sad that Woolies has floundered, in reality they have been good for little beyond cheap CDs for many years, and the writing's been on the wall for that business since even my Mum started shopping online.

In stark contrast, I think Marks & Sparks is a British retail institution that is thriving and still deserves the loyalty it has. Whilst there's periodic media hand-wringing about how they are faring, they actually soldier on doing the two things they've always been good at: quality clothes and quality food. I simply don't know how or where I would buy clothes if M&S didn't exist - I know I can pick anything off the racks and it will be durable and comfortable. To be honest I stopped looking at the price tags years ago, I just get a basket and pile in what I need, whether it's socks or suits, then pay whatever it totals up to at the till, such is the trust I have in M&S. Their fluctuating profits and losses seem to be a perfect barometer for the high street in general, reflecting the trends without suffering the excesses unduly. I hope they can continue to steer a stable course; to lose Marks and Spencer would be akin to losing Radio 4.

Edited by Dan

Dan

"He who dies with the most toys wins..."

update on GKN Autostuctures remaining workforce start and extended unpaid xmas holiday next week till mid january

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Next will be RR, Bentley, Land Rover etc.

We are seeing an unprecidented drop in cars over 1600 cc and their residuals are disappearing from sight quicker than me when someone says it's my round! When you see a 6 month old black Gallardo Spyder with every option (

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Perhaps Aston Martin, Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maserati, etc. will go back to being makers of exclusive automobiles instead of trying to increase sales 10-fold like they appear to have been doing for the last 10 years or so. I read the other day in Evo magazine about a 4-door Lamborghini super saloon that they were planning to sell 2,000 plus units a year of at more than

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• 2 weeks later...

Muppet MP George Galloway has said some ludicrous things in the past but todays comment - "The Government should privatise Woolworths" must take the prize for the stupidest so far. :blush:

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• 2 weeks later...

Well.

Last weekend i went into wollies for a look at the sale.While the place closely

resembled 'bartertown' from the third mad max film, i was convinced i could

get a bargain of some sort, even though i have previously stated on this thread

that the stores contained only hook-a-duck stall quality tat.

Carefully making my way past women suckling pigs, guys with thick glasses

smiling at addis bins and the like, i actually found a bargain! And bought it!!!

:)

It's a Woolworths own brand cordless optical mouse, cost me just