free hit
counters
S2 battery holder - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

S2 battery holder

Matt-watts

I have a late S1 and the battery is in the boot floor like an has S2 them mounted. My car came with the fiberglass box the battery sits in, very broken and in repairing it I could not see any original holes in it as it was all holes ! .I'm told it used M6 threaded rods to hold the battery down but I have no idear how they are mounted. Please could someone show me where the hole are ment to be inside the fiberglass box and how the battery is held in position.

Thanks

Matt

Please let me know If you have a S1 esprit for sale 🙂

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Matt,

The rods go through two corners in the bottom of the box and clamp onto the battery cover through the holes shown in the piccy...

DSCF4787.jpg

I never had the rods so never bothered to clamp the battery down. I just have a strap that holds the cover onto the battery.

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Anyone got the threaded rods fitted?

Or photos where the hole are?

Matt

My S2 had the rods to the left of the centre of the battery box with one at the front and one at the rear. There is a metal strap that sits on top of the battery through which the rods pass and the fixing nuts tighten box down onto this strap. The rods are offset from the center so that this strap misses the caps on the top of the battery.

I would be tempted, if I were you, to glass in the bottom of the battery to fill in the holes. Then place the rods and strap on the battery in the battery box and measure how far from the left-hand corners they have to be. Remove the battery and drill holes in the bottom of the battery at those measurements. Fit nuts and washers to the bottom of the rods and place them in the holes and then fit nuts and washers from underneath the car to locate the rods.

Sorry, but I don't have any photos to help explain.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Thanks Trevor

Have you a picture what the metal strap looks like ?

I would like to make a strap I just haven't a clue what they look like

Matt

The strap is made of steel about 1 to 1.5 mm thick. It has a wide "U" section. It's about 30 mm wide with a lip about 3 mm high along each long side. The rods are 6 mm diameter. I don't have a picture of it, I'm afraid, and I don't have the car any more so I can't take one but here is a picture of the cover with the rods sticking through it.

P1200024.jpg

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Presumbly very similar to the section of the bracing shown in the photo? FWIW my S3 battery box is a separate piece simply bonded into the body with some sort of fibreglass paste. It was in a poor state when I bought the car as the battery had not been fastened down for a long time so it had been worn away & cracked by battery continually shifting around.

The bottom of the 6 mm studs are threaded into small alloy bobbins that are bonded into the body.

cheers Steve