free hit
counters
The worlds worst brand names - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The worlds worst brand names

Malc Holmes

Japan has a love affair with the English language and uses it, generally very badly, for all forms of advertising or promotion. Brands are often formed from English phrases or coined words.

The drinks 'Calpis' and 'Pocari Sweat' are great examples of using English when you have no idea of what it may mean, or suggest. The Honda Beat owners club, go by the slogan BE A Tossa (BEAT ..ossa), who helpeed them with that one?

Anyone want to snack on a cream filled 'Colon'?

I came across a new one yesterday, and its a classic. Refreshing mint gum...... apparently.

Anyone else seen brilliant band names in other parts of the world?

Malc

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember the Mitubishi Colt Starion? The story with that was the American importers were told the US name over the telephone and got all the badges made up...then when the Japanese came over to see they said "NO!! Not Starion...STARION! STARION! Big male horse...."

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Orange-ade drink in Spain called GLOP. Got a piccie somewhere.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Remember the Mitubishi Colt Starion? The story with that was the American importers were told the US name over the telephone and got all the badges made up...then when the Japanese came over to see they said "NO!! Not Starion...STARION! STARION! Big male horse...."

As one of my college fraternity brothers used to say, after watching one too many WW II flics containing POW scenes, "Ah so, G.I., you surprised I speak Engrish so well? I educated at great Western university--U C R A."

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Decidely strange coffee brand if you ask me

PICT1311.jpg

:thumbsup:

Everytime I go to public loo I see my name planted everywhere....Kimberley Clarke.....

Oh hang on, I better rephrase that!! :)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

In the old John Wayne movie, "The Fighting Seabees", about the Naval Construction Battalions ( he gets killed at the end!) the makers of the film had a problem with portraying the Japanese combatants, it being just after the end of the war and Japanese being a bit thin on the ground in Hollywood. So they recruited anybody who looked vaguely Japanese; Chinese mainly but some Mexicans and Malays etc. Their next problem was in scenes where Japanese in the background had to be making crowd noises..the Japanese equivalent to the English "Rhubarb,rhubarb,rhubarb" which produces a convincing murmur behind the main actors lines. Much thought was employed on how to make a convincing Japanese substitution, remembering they actually had no native Japanese available. In the end, they used "I tie you shoe, you tie my shoe!" and the result can be heard, and seen, in the movie!!

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

:thumbsup:

photo321.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

:)

Everytime I go to public loo I see my name planted everywhere....Kimberley Clarke.....

Oh hang on, I better rephrase that!! :angry:

I am sure i have it seen it, something like \"me love you big time for

Edited by Alex --GT3--