free hit
counters
Esprit rear view mirror - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit rear view mirror

Can someone please tell me what other car (Rover Parts Bin) uses the same rear view mirror with dip function as on the G Esprit. My new Esprit has it missing, obviously snapped off, and although I have a plastic suction type that wobbles, I would like to find an original. Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi roger

i have had the same problem with mine,firstly the glass was terrible,the electric function withi the mirror is antiquated and wobbly.the base of the mirror was ok,finding mirrors was a nightmare and i have been forced to make an alternative arrangement.i now have manual adjust mirrors that work 1000 times better as once i have placed them wher i want,there is no vibration,my vision is good and no wobbles.- simple,i have taken the nissan 1400 bakkie mirrors and bolted them onto the base of the existing mirror.with a colour coded sprayjob you cannot tell the difference.

if however you find originals that are worthy ,i would be interested.

later

richard

Technically sound ...Theoretically poked !

hi roger

i have had the same problem with mine,firstly the glass was terrible,the electric function withi the mirror is antiquated and wobbly.the base of the mirror was ok,finding mirrors was a nightmare and i have been forced to make an alternative arrangement.i now have manual adjust mirrors that work 1000 times better as once i have placed them wher i want,there is no vibration,my vision is good and no wobbles.- simple,i have taken the nissan 1400 bakkie mirrors and bolted them onto the base of the existing mirror.with a colour coded sprayjob you cannot tell the difference.

if however you find originals that are worthy ,i would be interested.

later

richard

I think he's talking about the interior rear view mirror.

I purchased a new one from SJ a couple of weeks ago, Steve keeps them in stock and they aren't that expensive.

Les

The parts that are placed in the sale direct to us owners are parts which have been with Lotus for some time. I'm not sure exactly but know that some of the parts we are offered have been sat on racking for 20 years without being sold which is why they are so cheap, the choice is either sell it to us for not much money or put it in a skip, that's really the situation. Lotus would be very foolish to sell us parts at knock down prices if they are parts which are currently in demand product and being sold by dealers on a regular basis. The only parts which appear on these sales are low volume parts, you'll find them all at the far end of the warehouse gathering more dust as they just don't sell. Dealers are losing nothing as they don't sell these parts, if something hasn't sold for so long how could a dealer complain if they had no chance (based on historic activity) of selling it in the future.

With regards to SJ Sportscars, this is a little speculative but a good guess... SJ Sportscars aren't a main dealer, they can't buy directly from Lotus but get all of their parts from a main dealer, it's the only way they can have genuine stock in stock. Why do you buy parts from SJ's when you can get them from the main dealer? Adding another link in the chain isn't free, I'm sure you can see that so no, SJ's don't pay overinflated prices for any of their genuine parts or you would be paying over-over inflated prices for them from him. These parts in the sale, SJ never sold them apart from the odd 'mirror' but since SJs stockpiled them at no doubt a very, very good price then there have been no orders from the factory for a long time. Dealers know about the sale lists before we do, they can buy what they like, they are main dealers after all! With regards to future sales, did you see many parts for the more modern Lotuses in the sale? Non? That's because dealers are selling the parts, there is no need to include them in the sale! The only parts for Elise/Exige/340r cars that appeared are once again no-movement parts clogging up space!

To sum up, the parts offered to us are destined for the bin very soon. If we don't buy them, they are taken out of stock and destroyed. They've been there so long it's becoming a burden for Lotus to hold them and I see no reason why a dealer would begrudge Lotus selling us parts they've not shifted in a very, very long time. In my opinion you should be grateful we're not constantly worried about obsolete parts but have access to them at great prices.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Hi Bibs.. if that is truly the case.. (which is what I originally thought) I think Lotus need to do some damage control in the USA. I have talked to three separate dealers in the US since this deal was offered and not one of them are happy about it. Apparently, they tell me second hand, that other (dealers) they talk to are mad as well..

I started to hear about this when I first approached a dealer (of which I have had a 20 year relationship) to order me some "sale" parts.. I was politely told to piss off and then told why.

What I have written above is simply a polite version of what I have heard..

I hate to see this sort of sentiment, since Lotus are trying to regain some recognition and respect these days with all their great products.

Thanks for your input.. if you have any pull with Lotus PR..it may be a good time to suggest some phone calls.

regards Jan

If you set no goals you shall surely reach them..