free hit
counters
Aussie sport 350 - Sport 350 Technical - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nicholden

Aussie sport 350

post-4470-1228818969.jpgHi Guys,

I have just recieved my sport 350 (number 14) from the UK which i bought off Mike Williams. Very excitied ! The car has 17000 miles and is in great condition with the 2002 rear light upgrade. I have had the engineer out today and i am seeing the registration shop tomorrow which will supply me with the documnts to get it registered which i am told will take about 2 weeks to recieve my Australian compliance plates.

The guy who will inspect the car has asked me to identify the engine and VIN numbers that are stamped or on a plate (not the stickers) I had a look and couldn't easily locate these. Can anyone tell me where to look for both of these. He will have a hoist available if they are underneith.

I also like the look of the central exhaust. I have a firend who owns an exhaust shop so i can take care of the exhaust side of things but where would i source the metal surround ?

There are some rust spots on the outside window weather strip trims which i would like to replace. These are the trims that are between the body of the car and the outside of the windows ie if the window was down and you put your elbow out the window you would rest on them.

Are these available aftermarket or direct from Lotus only? I contacted the Australian Lotus dealer who wanted $600 each for them! ! (about 250 pounds) and had to get them from the UK anyway.

Thanks Nick

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just take the window trims off and refurbish them.

As far as the exhaust goes, mine has the centre exit system and it looks ace, I'll bet you can get the metal shroud fabricated cheaper than it is to buy one from Lotus:

20040303image0006is8.jpg

great car BTW, you'll love it.

Hi Nick,

According to the "Service Parts List":

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is stamped onto the chassis frame on the vertical surface of a flange between the inboard pivots of the right

hand front suspension lower wishbone, viewable via the right hand front wheel arch. The engine number is on the V8 models on a vertical flange at the left hand rear of the cylinder block.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks for all the replys that will be a big help today.

Daniel, I have a fabrication shop so i think i will take your advice and make a central exhaust shroud (i was looking for the easy way out!)

I have some paint flaking on the wheels but i have seen Kylies post on re coating.

Oh, one more question (sorry my manuals are still in the UK, hense all the questions) what is the 'snow' button for on the centre console? A/C related maybe?

Thnaks again, Nick

All went well today with the registration inspection and it should be on the road now within 10 days. Thanks for the pictures GKP and the explanation Peter, we wouldnt have found the VIN number without them.

It has a few 'clunks' in the front suspention. Anyone know the best place to get a full suspention bush kit? I have relatives from Durham coming here in January so i plan on asking them to bring all the bits i need over with them.

Nick

Oh, one more question (sorry my manuals are still in the UK, hense all the questions) what is the 'snow' button for on the centre console? A/C related maybe?

Working from memory here as I am not at home (where the manual is!) it is to do with the electric windows and their functioning in very cold weather. They have an autostop mechanism which can kick in if the windows are iced up - I think this button overrides that functionality.

I will confirm when I get home.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Nick,

How did you get around the DOTARS RAWS setup? According to the SEVS register, there is still no RAWS workshop to comply an esprit. How did you get it through? Every question I asked met with a dead end. I remember you saying it was purchased in your sisters name. Is that how you got it through?

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Very nice mate, dead chuffed for you..!

Can't wait to pick my S350 up before too long :thumbsup: Just waiting fior the owner to decide he wants to let me have it, which I think is in a few years time... LOL

I know he's treating her good which is comforting to know!

Chunky Lover

Hi,

what is the normal running temp for a V8 in traffic? I drove it for the first time to the registration inspection the other day and it was fine whilst driving but when stopped at the lights with the A/C on it was nudging 100. As soon as i set off again it went down to 80 ish.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be apreciated or is this normal?

a14msy.jpg

200p4sp.jpg

Hi Nick,

Not sure if are the same Nick I exchanged a lot of emails with from Oz when I was selling an 02 V8 Esprit for a friend of mine? If you are then let me know. I hope so as it sounds like you got sorted with a nice car!

With regards to valance, I have drawn this out on CAD but with exits on outside. It wouldn't take me long to modify it to match the OEM one. I could send you the flat sheet layout for you to use to make a new one.

Are you keeping at standard or modifying? Personally, I would put the original lights back on but who am I to comment when I have the round lights on my car. I think for limited edition models, they should be kept as standard.

Regards,

Dave Walters

Fans will kick in around 100 (just under) and will drive the temp down to around 80. Standard on all Esprits. :-)

I find that if I have my lights on it adds 5 degrees to the temp - a little scary the first time.

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Hi Dave,

Yes it is me! I finally got all the paper work side of things sorted out.

I will be keeping the car mostly unmodified apart from the rear valance that i want to fit and the tail lights which the pervious owner installed.

I plan on spending abit of time getting it back to brand new condition. I sent the wheels of last week to get re coated and the rear spoiler will be going off this week to be re clear coated.

Love your web site and i will be ordering a few bits off you soon.

I am changing all the fluids next week. I have bought mobil 1 for the engine but what gear box oil is reommended? I am happy to use the expensive stuff if necessary but what is the best one?

I need to replace the drive shaft seals. Anyone know if there is a direct cross reference to another car as they wont be available over here through Lotus.

Simon - Thanks for the temp info. Yes i ws getting a little worried whghen it was pushing 100. I even turned off the A/C.

Cheers, Nick

Dave,

I would love the CAD file if possible please. I use CAD so i can fiddle with it if necessary but would appreciate the facory design with the central exits.

What is the Factory valance manufactured from?

Regards, Nick

Hi Nick,

For gearbox oil, I think most people here use Tafx.

When I get round to changing the CAd drawing, I will email it across to you. It's made from stainless steel with a matt finish (probably post fabrication to hide the multiple bends to create the curve). I tried to roll but the thin metal wouldn't hold it's shape. When I looked at the OEM closer it was made by a series of approx 40 very small bends in a pressbreak machine to give the appearance of a curve. The matt finish is to hide the bends I think.

Dave Walters

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. You can just send the CAD drawing as is if you want and i will modify it here.

I have a CNC press brake so i might have a go at a gradual bend. I will just need to send the sheet out to be laser cut.

Thanks, Nick

Hi Nick, great to see you got your 350 landed ok. What a beauty! <_< Seems like most of the boys have answered your questions. Yes my 350 goes up to 100 or just a fraction over then the fans kick in if sitting idle. Its happy to sit on around 82 on the move. Your cooling is so important check your water levels frequently in the header tank and clean out the sesnor frequently as well, these clogg up and do not tell the low coolant light to come on. Or the toggle gets stuck at the bottom. This is so important. Extremely overheated engines can lead to liner failure etc. So check over all your pipe work.

The dust seals I couldnt match them up properly but the roll pins you can buy if you search in the V8 forum you will find the threads relating to parts. Alternatively contact Marcus at PUK in Germany for a seal kit which has everythng you need.

Re box oil, you and I cant get TAF-X this neck of the woods, but the Lotus agents here are using a close match. This is Castrol syntrax. But use the TAF-X first. You can buy it from PUK in Germany he has sent me some in the past.

For keeping it original, that is up to you. For resale people will always want an original example over a modded one - fact :(. Mine came in with clear lights all round and missing its decals plus engine mods. Putting it back to how it should be has been like night and day and everyone would have to agree. But firstly get out there and enjoy it. :)

350.gifNo.23

Nick - you mention turning the ac off. In fact you want to do the opposite. The fans should run whenever the ac is on.

If you hit standing traffic after a fast run, click the ac on and the fans will run, stopping the temp rising in the first place.

Hi Nick, nice car congrats.

Regarding your question about the seals and roll pins. I got fed up trying to source these o's or locally at a time when I had the axles off and on a few times. Forget exactly but think it was around $50-$60 each time on top of the waiting time for them to arrive.

I now use generic oil and dust seals that I stack on top of each other. The oil seals are 42-68-8 and the dust seals BF2595E. About $3 each. They are easier to fit and surprising stop leaks better than the OEM ones so far.

As for the roll pins the 6mm outers are easy at any bearing supplier but the 3mm inners are virtually impossible. Trying to fit 1/8in instead, results in galling and seizing partway. I have seen local cars where the mechanics have quartered them and fitted the four pieces in but not a good practice.

Contact me if you decide to go this way but can't get the 3mm pins locally.

Cheers

Danny

3mmrollpinsandgearboxseals12-08004.jpg

DanR

Hi,

another round of questions please...!

Question 1- I have never driven another V8 Esprit so i am a little unsure as to what the clutch should feel like. At the moment it is a very on or off clutch (which i presume is normal) but it has an initial shudder on take off which makes it unpleasant to drive. The car has done 17 000 miles and the wear on the clutch feels fine it is just the shudder.

Will this 'come good' with use or is this normal or do i need to replace it and machine the fly wheel?

Question 2- I tested my water level sensor and when i bridge the conections the light on the dash comes on (so i know that works) but when i remove the sensor and hold it out of the water but still in the same position (down) the light doesn't come on. Can this be fixed or do i need to replace the sensor?

Question 3- What coolant is recommended (i am still waiting for my workshop manual to arrive)

Thanks for all the help and advice so far.

Nick

Regarding the water sensor - if you search in the V8 forum you should find some photos of a sensor. What happens is that the small holes in the sensor get clogged and the ball inside doesn't move. You need to remove the sensor and flush it out thoroughly. You will be amazed at the crud that will come out.

Vigorously shake it up and down and make sure you can hear the ball moving. When you now connect it holding it the right way will make the light come on and turning it upside down should make the light go out.

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

If the car's been stood a while that could explain the clutch judder, so drive it a bit and see if it improves.

If not, there could be a flywheel problem, but I would guess more likely would be an oil contaminated clutch plate(s) due to a worn shaft seal.

:)

Just a quick bump on this one, I purchased the 350 from Nick this week and have had the pleasure of piloting it in both the wet and dry over the last 2 days of crazy weather. It's an absolutely awesome car and it's a privilege to have it. Look forward to talking more with you guys!

post-5893-1238750994_thumb.jpg

Welcome to LEF Al and nice new car! Check out LEF Australia too :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.