free hit
counters
Battery and charging. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Battery and charging.

wern

Hi all,just a couple of small queries.Firstly I needed to charge up the battery as it had been standing for a couple of weeks outside and only done short runs before this ,so I took it off for an overnight charge,my question is that as I have a battery isolator switch on the positive of the battery is it OK to charge in situ if I undo the cell covers, to save the grief of removal?

Secondly although I have owned the Esprit for 8 years I have never owned another car with a volt meter,so I am curious as to its correct operation.Under mormal running it settles to just under 13 volts,but if I put any sort of load on like main beams or heater fan flat out the needle drops to just above the red mark,but will eventually go back to 13 after turning them off,is this normal? Incidentally the battery is about a year old.

Cheers Paul.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi My volt meter bounces all over the place when I switch things like lights, radio etc on. so I take it with a pinch of salt.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

If it is accurate you should be seeing moreb than the voltage you've noted.

Is the belt slipping? Check tension of the belt,and condition. If they're OK, obtain a meter, and check across the battery with the engine running (on idle) and see if it's in line with the binnacle reading. If it is only going to 13 then check connections of the alternator, starter and battery for corrosion. If the binnacle is reading low, check the connections at the binnacle (common earth).

I suspect the belt due to drop and recovery, if the belt isn't gripping enough, but only just under the required amount the alternator may get the extra resistance of the lights etc, the belt slips and then the slipping heats the surface (or dries it of water / oil) and then starts to grip a bit better but still slips slightly.

Andy

My volt meter reads just over 14 volts with no electrical equipment on (lights, fan etc). If I turn the lights on and the radiator fans are running then it goes to just over the 11 volt red line mark. This is the gauge I watch most of all whilst driving. Can be a pain......

Thanks Andy, I used a digital meter this morning and got these readings from the battery--

Ignition off -- 13.3v

On tick over -- 14.7v -- 13v on dash.

Headlights on tick over --12.5v -- 11v on dash.

The voltage rises with revs as you would expect back to 12.5v on the dash.But will go lower with more load.

Belt and connections seem OK,havnt checked the dash volt meter connections yet though.

This would seem OK to me assuming my digital meter is reading properly! I suppose the actual battery reading of 13.3v should be the baseline figure,what should a fully charged battery read?I have it in the back of my mind that 13.3v is about right.

Cheers.

12 volt systems should read 13.8 to 14.2 volts, on charge. I agree with the previous comments, once you have the headlights and the heater fans running and the vehicle stationary, the volts drop to just above 11. On the odd occasion I have encountered these conditions, I have kept one eye glued to the voltmeter and done as much load shedding as possible, headlights off when stopped, etc.. I have considered an uprated alternator; anybody done this? Also a larger capacity battery wouldn't hurt.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I'd say there's a problem with the wiring to the dash gauge or the gauge itself. It's not going to stop the car working, so if you don't want to fix it, don't.

You can eliminate the dash wiring by using some long pieces of wire direct onto the alternator and gauge and see what it reads, but (maybe I'm just in that mood, knackered) why bother?

Andy

If you have the headlights on, do they get brighter when you rev the engine? Or do the indicators flash more quickly when you rev up? If so, the volt meter, while offset, is good for telling you how the charging system is doing.

Someone may have had the gauge apart at some time and not aligned the pointer mechanism with the numbers when they reassembled it but as long as you know the error, you can use it as it is.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I have noticed a variation when revving the engine,but only slight.I assume that the alternator is charging OK as I normally have no trouble starting, or any other electrical problems,except the rear screen heater not working but who uses it anyway??!! I tend to lean towards a miscalibration.I noticed yesterday that after starting the gauge climbed to 13v and stayed there for half an hour before dropping back to 12.5v,I assume this is after it has replaced the drain put on by starting.

Cheers.(You wouldnt believe that I am an electrician,industrial and domestic,never could understand the peculiarities of car elactrics!)

All electrics and electronics are the same...as long as you know and can apply Ohm's Law it all follows!! Thing is, at 12 volts you need very little resistance to get a big volts drop and screw the system. And the Esprit earthing system is a unique aberration...

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Ohms law !!!! I left college in 1970 and have just taken early retirement to get away from formulas,regulations and especially Health and Safety GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! No the problem with auto electrics is methods of switching etc, which are not permissable at higher voltages.And I never did get to grips with power generation especially where no load is present on 3 phase systems! Lucky the Esprit is not positive earth!!... (or perhaps somebody has got a special edition!!)

Cheers Paul.