free hit
counters
GTO Quafie LSD in 89SE-94S4 with mechanical Speedo - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

GTO Quafie LSD in 89SE-94S4 with mechanical Speedo

Seen the details here

http://users.rcn.com/mosull/Lotus/Mods/transmission.htm

But this is very old.

I wasn't sure if Quaife added a boss for the Circlip, or if I still have to glue the speedomoter ring onto the Quaife?

Also, it looks like the Quaife on GTO's website has the grooves for the oil control O-rings? Does it infact have them. I know early ones didn't.

http://www.gtoracing.co.uk/parts.html

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The uprated exchange box I got from Kevin at GTO last summer with the Quaiffe LSD had the worn gear already fitted even though I didn't need it since mine's a V8. So I guess it can be done easily.

Regarding the O-ring groove on the output shaft, the early Quaife LSDs did have them but they turned out to cause a weakness. Kevin found the output shaft could shear through the groove. So Quaiffe stopped cutting the groove and they now are just a straight shaft.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

That's a concern... but then it's difficult to keep the oil in the tranny even with the o-rings...;)

I've wanted one for 8 years! I think I'll pull the trigger!

I did put the Honda Integra (DC5) Type-R helical LSD in my Acura RSX Type-S, and it totally transformed the car.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

That's a concern... but then it's difficult to keep the oil in the tranny even with the o-rings...;)

You line the inside of the driveshaft 'socket' with lots of silicone before fitting it over the output shaft. Lotus actually issued a service bulletin to do this since even with the o-ring in place they are prone to leaking. Then as normal cover the securing pins with silcone too. Hasn't been a drop from mine since fitting.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a clutch type differential. Lotus used a clutch type ZF differential on the '91 X180-R, which works very well.

Though the clutch types occasionally need rebuilding, and aren't typically used for the street.

That Drexler looks very similar to the Japanese Cusco LSD...

http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/parts_product/pr...ers_typemz.html

I know many people swap out the Honda helical LSD (similar to the Quaife but weaker) for a Cusco clutch type LSD when they want to race or increase the HP.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I have a KAAZ plate clutch LSD in my RX7 and I hate it on the street! It's loud and clunks when I turn slowly due to the plates loading and unloading. But works like a dream on the track! Car tracks like it's on rails!

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

You line the inside of the driveshaft 'socket' with lots of silicone before fitting it over the output shaft. Lotus actually issued a service bulletin to do this since even with the o-ring in place they are prone to leaking. Then as normal cover the securing pins with silcone too. Hasn't been a drop from mine since fitting.

My Quaife doesn't have the o-rings and I've sealed it with silicone 2 or 3 times now and it still leaks.... :):cry:

Congrats Travis on the LSD! I love mine except for the leak.

Edited by lotus4s

1995 S4s

• 4 months later...