free hit
counters
Front Speakers on MY 97 V8 Cars - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Front Speakers on MY 97 V8 Cars

I recently noticed that my 97 V8 only has speakers in the door. I unscrewed the speaker grill located at the front near the bottom of the windscreen and apart from the 4 holes where the screws go through there is no hole in the leather where the speaker cone could have been fitted. Hence, I was wondering if the 97 models only had door speakers or if the guys assembling my car decided a swift pint down the pub was preferable to finishing of the car!

Anyone else with a 97 car in the same position?

Regards,

Peter

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange...... never heard of one not having front speakers.

If you want to fill those holes, I can offer you some snazzy ex-S350 front skuttle speakers. You can have them free if you cover the postage.

Cheers,

Mike S

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

If you want to fill those holes, I can offer you some snazzy ex-S350 front skuttle speakers. You can have them free if you cover the postage.

Cheers,

Mike S

They must be small speakers if there going to fill the screw holes :)

Edited by MrP

:)

Sorry, but you have to laugh!

No, there definitely should there be speakers in there, though they sound terrible. Partly beside of their size but mainly because there's no air space behind the speaker. This severly restricts the movement of the diagphram causing a tinny mid range and absolutely no low range. However, they have twin-drivers with a small tweeter in the middle of the speaker which provides some ambience to complement the door speakers (though I do fade them back a bit compared with the rears).

What you chould do is check if the wiring is present. If it isn't they you're out of luck unless you plan to tear the whole dashboard off. That might explain why the didn't fit the speakers if they found someone forgot to route the wiring harness through. But you'd have to cut through the leather to find out. It might look better with the grills off and the screw holes filled in.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

• Gold FFM

Hi Peter

Dont get a complex its not just you. When i had toreplace some wiring on my 97 GT3 i had toremove the dash pod only to find me speakers had been nicked ( or not even put in to start with ).

If yours is the same the good news is that i found the speaker cables under the dash by the a post, ready for connection.

I just assumed that as mine is striped out to be light as pos GT3 that the extra weight saved would enhance the performance.

Cheers Paul B)

Bloody hell my tilting is bad , and i have not started drinking yet :):sick:

Edited by oldspot

Thanks for all the comments and direct help.

My initial thoughts were if you have left the speakers out to save weight, then why fit the useless speaker grills! Chapman wouldn't have.

I've sourced some speakers from Mike and am hoping the speaker wires are in place. Saying that, even I should be able to run the speaker cables a few feet to the stereo.

Regards,

Peter.

I've sourced some speakers from Mike and am hoping the speaker wires are in place. Saying that, even I should be able to run the speaker cables a few feet to the stereo.

I hope you have long arms and are prepared to do some serious contortions! I was just able to reach the windscreen wash nozzle from the inside when the drivers side hose popped off.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

• 5 weeks later...

:) My '97 V8 had grilles but no speakers,...and...no holes cut in the leather but holes in the dash. I can only presume that the big hole for the speaker body is there on all cars and that the speaker grilles are also standard but that the front speakers were part of an option pack. Whether this was an option for the customer or the factory guy building the car, we will never know without a brochure from that period. The workshop manual shows four speakers. However, and here the plot thickens. I have seen another '97 V8 that I presume is younger than mine as it has a high level brake light built into the rear wing and yet my car has separate tweeters in the door panels as well as the main speakers. They are obviously factory fitted from the way the trim is fitted. I can only suggest that they were an option from new.

Next...have a firkle around behind your seats, down where the seatbelt roller unit would be if it was inside the car and press on the carpet covering the engine/cabin bulkhead. I bet you find that behind the carpet there is a hole about six inches across. I did. I bravely removed the carpet and that was where I found the other end of the mysterious pair of wires leaving the stereo connector from the so called rear speaker connectors. I now have a marvellous eight speaker set up (including the tweeters) with a pair in the dash, a pair in the doors and a pair of tweeters as the front speaker system and a pair of larger units in the bulkhead as the rears.

I think personally that this is simply a sign of a low volume hand built piece of engineering. You would be very lucky to find two the same. Mine, for instance, has a '98 Momo wheel and '98 MY OZ Saturn wheels...and I've taken the spoiler off.

I would fit as many speakers as you can as they are not that heavy or expensive compared to the substantial increase in quality that they bring. Hope this helps.

Edited by toyroom

I now have working front speakers and door speakers. The sound from the stereo sounds much richer now.

Thanks to Mike Sekinger for his Sport 350 front speakers, that with their fetching blue cones look great. And thanks to everyone else who have posted on this subject.

The install wasn't that tricky. I fed the speaker wire down the speaker holes into the respective foot wells. I then pushed some stiff wire from the stereo opening down to the respective foot wells (there is line of sight) and then used this to pull the speaker wires through. A bit of connector crimping later and then the 'wall of sound'.

Regards,

Peter.

Fitted new fronts to mine a couple of months back as the old ones had blown.

Boy, was that a fiddley job without removeing the binnacle!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• 3 weeks later...

It may have to do with production month rather than MY. If you're car was built in the early run of the '97 MY, and Peters was built in the late part of the '97 MY, it's likely that they started using the '98 setup with speakers in the doors rather than in the rear. I'd be curious to know if this were the case.

• 11 years later...

Resurrecting this old post because I came across is doing some searches about speakers. My 97 does not have door speakers either...it has ash trays. So the older cars had no door speakers and the newer ones did? Or is that not a correct assumption? I have the dash small speakers and the 6.5" ones behind the seats but that's it. 4 speakers total.

Upgrading my old tired radio and considering some minor stereo system upgrades all around.