free hit
counters
Sidelight switch issues..? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Bit of a strange one

Got 1 headlight fitted and working but whilst testing it wierd stuff happens!

Side light switch only operated. Nothing happens.

Headlamp switch operated. Pod pops up and dipped beam comes on with all side lights and interior lights.

Full beam also works correctly.

When the headlamps are up and on however and you have the side light switch pushed then the sidelights and interior lights go off?

A little screwy and not having a wiring diagram for this model may well make things a little difficult to fix.

Wrong relay somewhere maybe?

Any help appreciated ;)

Chunky Lover

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The side light issue sounds normal, ie, due to legislation you cannot only have the sidelights on, none of it works without the headlights up and on. The interior light is interesting and I have no idea but lines 4 and 6 in your post seem to conflict?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

When i say interior lights I mean all the instrument pod, centre consloe etc...

All cars can run with sidelights only over here and i'm sure my other esprit worked that way. I.e. Sidelights come on and off with the sidelights switch.

It is odd that pushing the switch turns everyting off though, leaving dipped & main beams on only. It's definately not correct. Just checked. It even turns the tail lights off as well..???

It's an 88 N/A if that helps the diagnosis at all ;)

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

Yup mine's an 88 Turbo, imported from the UK last year, it pi$$ed me off I could not get the sidelights on without headlights, I rewired it, but I was told it was legislation over there, memory tells me it was Andy Clements who gave me the clue. Something to do with the mudual just above the relay box.

Good luck, Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Just to clarify things my GT3 has both headlight and sidelight switches. sidelight switch operates just the sidelights, headlight switch operates headlights and sidelights regardless of whether the sidelight switch is on or off.

Two switches same as yours.

Supposed to work in the same way.

Side light switch doesn't turn anything on.

If the headlamp switch is on ALL lights work ;)

If you switch the sidelight switch on whilst the dipped beam is on it turns off EVERY light (sidelights, tail lights, numberplate lamps and all interior dash etc..) except the headlight.

It's very odd! Don't think it's an earth although will check, not had chance yet.

It's as if the main lighting circuit can only be powered by either the dipped, or sidelight switch but only one at a time with the sidelight switch being the 'master circuit' overriding the supply from the dipped switch.

Cheers for the offer of the wiring diagrams I've got the G car ones. Are the 88 diagrams much different?

Keep the ideas coming :welcome:

Chunky Lover

being an 88 car it will have a dim dip unit fitted which was the law on vehicles in 88/89 which meant that when you put the side lights on the headlight dip beam comes on as well on half power automatically. you may have a fault with this unit .my car is also an 88,if i remember correctly if you remove fuse number 28 this is the feed to the dim dip unit and the lights will then work independently.If you look in the drivers handbook this will show you where fuse 28 is. Hope this helps .

I must admit that I too have the same issue on my '02. Main switch on, side light switch off, everything works. Main switch on, side light switch on, everything except main beams goes off. And when main switch is off, but side light switch is on, nothing works, however the normally illuminated main and side light switches will turn off only the side light switch backlight with the main backlight still illuminated.

Relays.jpg

You see the box with the multiple plug on the far left, if yours has that then it is the module that prevents the side lights from working independently, the headlights must be on, apparently some safety genius invented the notion and all cars produced in the UK between 1988 and 1989 were fitted the same.

I don't think from your discretion your lights are doing anything wrong. (pain, yes, I modified mine back, but you may not be able to for the MOT, great thing in Australia no one knows what an 88 esprit is supposed to do)

Roger B)

Try this link

http://www.lotusespritforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=195187