free hit
counters
G car - Gear Lever Gaiter restoration - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

G car - Gear Lever Gaiter restoration

The gear lever gaiter on my 86 Turbo Esprit has collapsed - the leather is worn but I believe possible to renovate. I have purchased a new gaiter ring from SJ Sportscars which arrived just before Christmas. It wasn't quite what I was expecting. It is a black metal ring, approx 4 inches in diameter, with three equi-distant short projections at right angles to the ring. Can anybody tell me what to do with this? I presume, somehow, this creates the rigidity at the top of the gaiter, the leather then pushing back down on the inside towards the bottom of the gear lever? Is this right? Has anybody else renovated their gaiter in this way?

Robert

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alan

Very helpful and looks great. Couple of questions. How does the top edge of the gaiter stay rigid? Is it just the stiffness of new leather, or is there something inside the gaiter? Also, how do you secure the gaiter to the gear lever on the inside at the bottom?

By the way, love the look of your interior. Is that original? Would love to see some more pics.

Robert

Edited by USAndretti42
Posted twice for some reason

Hi,

Got my gearlever gaitor from halfords it was made by richbrook, basically the round clip you have as you look at it the three flat prongs

sit underneath the centre console and the large round ring sits on top! all you have to do is unscrew your gearknob, push the old ring

inside the old gaitor and pull upwards, and hey presto ring and gaitor should be removed!

Now place your ring inside your new gaitor with about an inch inside and fold round the material inwards, push the clip back into

the centre console making sure that all three flat prongs are pushed underneath the console and no gaitor material is sticking out

and now it should be secure, replace the gearknob and hey presto all done!

regardsd danny

A

Robert can you put pics on when you've done the job as mine needs the same treatment and have been wondering how Iam going to fix it. I have stitched mine at the top at the moment which makes the gearstick feel less loose but is not inkeeping with the original look - see pic.

PICT0007-4.jpg

I also noticed that the gearlever was quite loose on your car when Gordon took me out in the car. Again mine is very similar. Have you managed to do anything with this or are all Esprits like this do you think?

Also I notice you mentioned previously about removing the seats and said how easy it was. My car is away for the Winter so can't see how to do this can you add some detail to your reply if you don't mind to get an idea of what to do when the time comes. Iplan to take them out so Ican properly redye the leather for a perfect job. Thanks in advance!!!

Edited by stephenwhyte

Danny

That's really helpful. Thanks

Stephen

Am also beginning the process of redyeing my leather and will do the gaiter as part of this. Will certainly post some photos and observations over the next few weeks.

My gear lever is less loose now as i have had some new bushes in the linkage. 3rd is still a little sticky, but will do some further work on this. Also planning on fitting a braided clutch hose which I understand should help.

The seats are removed simply by undoing four nuts for each seat from under the car. The seats then simply lift out.

Hope you are enjoying your car. Am keeping mine running over the winter. Just enjoying driving it too much to park it up.

Robert

Thanks Robert I look forward to seeing the progress pics. It sounds as if you plan to get the car as near prefect s possible. A man after my own heart!!

As for the removal of the seats, were the nuts ok on yours as I would have thought they would be pretty rusty being under the car - as I said I haven't checked mine so can't comment on their condition.

My car gets started up and taken up to the end of the street every couple of weeks but cant wait until June as I am going to the Le Mans 24 hr race weekend so that should be good - the type of run these cars were built for!!

It will be getting some mechanical and cosmetic attention before then and a good few runs to determin any issues - roll on the Spring!!

Stephen

Likewise, I am planning to do some mechanical and cosmetic improvements over the next few months.

I got my service guy to free off the seat nuts and replace with SS nuts and washers before I had the seats out for cleaning. He said they weren't too bad. Good luck with yours.

It wil be good to compare notes as it seems like we have two cars in pretty similar condition that we will both be trying to return to close to original condition.

Robert

Alan

Very helpful and looks great. Couple of questions. How does the top edge of the gaiter stay rigid? Is it just the stiffness of new leather, or is there something inside the gaiter? Also, how do you secure the gaiter to the gear lever on the inside at the bottom?

By the way, love the look of your interior. Is that original? Would love to see some more

the top edge of the gaiter is stitched in an O it goes over the gear lever and pushes down to the bottom of the stick (in on itself).. the gaiter I made was made out of a Mercedes SLK leather seat cover :) .. so it`s pretty thick stuff..

the bottom of the gaiter is cut in to 1cm fingers so that you can glue it in without the thing splitting or folding up...... and then glued to the centre console bottom in a circle.

see more pics of my car under projects and restoration room (Esprit bought for