free hit
counters
Great Lotus Elite video - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Loose Cannon

Great Lotus Elite video

Just stumbled across this old Dave Allen sketch (didn't know he had died actually, and as long ago as 2005).

Youtube linky

Be interesting to know if the Elite here had been "borrowed" from Lotus' publicity fleet and if they were aware it would be used in a 30 foot jump! Maybe MJK can remember it?

The use of a white car here would indicate inspiration from a certain film, however the car is 1974 reg and I can't see a single newer vehicle around (the street scenes look more early 70s rather than late with loads of 60s Fords and Vauxhalls). It would be funny to think the inspiration was the other way around! Can anyone put a date on it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wow, that was a serious jump for an Elite. Didn't sound very healthy when it pulled up by the side of the road.

The sketch was from 1975, so it was before Bond's Esprit: http://www.ioffer.com/i/Dave-Allen-complet...1-1981-42823031

Edited by Mark Blanchard

The sketch was from 1975, so it was before Bond's Esprit

Oh my, probably a bit deep thinking for a cheap comedy sketch, but it does make you wonder who was watching this and if it planted a seed in some film makers minds.......... :lol:

BTW the DVLA show it as unlicensed from 1983 so safe to say it's gone to meet it's maker, but at least it lived on after the jump!

Edited by LooseCannon

Dave Allen was Brilliant lol It was the one show i really looked forward to each week :)

It does make you wonder with the Lotus doesn't it? :)

Guest Antiques

Guys on the lotus elite excel site one of the guys came across an old comedy sketch on utube.It shows the late Irish comdeian Dave allen driving a white elite with an n reg.It shows you him in an office ,and appearing to be James bond ,and going on a mission.He leaves the building and gets into a white Elite with another person ,he then proceeds to drive very fast flying over a hump back bridge ,crash thru boxes ,and spinning the car.he comes to a halt and his companion says im sorry you have failed your driving test .yes he was only a guy doing the driving test.It begs the question though can the Elite from this sketch been the inspiration for the bond makers to use a lotus esprit in their movie, and not the conventionally held view.?James/Belfast

James

Please note this was a topic from 1st January. Threads merged.

I know this is an old topic, but all links to the Dave Allen sketch featuring the Lotus Elite has been removed. Who can provide a fresh link?

Search on youtube has not revealed any videos.

Has Lotus required those videos removed?

I have the video saved somewhere. I'll try and find it, remind me with a personal message if I haven't responded in a day or two.

Good question, doubt it was a factory test driver given the damage it sustained, more likely their own stuntman?

LMAO! Awesome! 

Sartorial 70s elegance.

BTW i've already had a warning from Youtube about copyrighted content. It's not the video itself, but the background music apparently which must be genuine "Bond" rather than Ronnie Hazlehurst or someone. If you want the video, grab it now in case it disappears.

how do you download video's from you tube?

Mike, right click on the video above and  select "Copy video URL"

Go to http://keepvid.com/

paste into box and click download then select format and size right click download box and "save link as".

And Bob's your uncle!

• Like 1

Brill, well done. watched it several times. Pleased to note the wiper worked at the end.

Regards to all, John