free hit
counters
Instrument pod illumination - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Instrument pod illumination

The ilumination in my instrument pod on the dials is very low, even with the rheostat turned up full. My service guy has check that all the bulbs are working. They are. He seems to think this is a common problem. Anybody know any solutions? New rheostat? Change to LEDs?

Thanks

Robert

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robert,

I switched to LED lights awhile ago, and have been very pleased with the results. You need to do a search for T10 194 bulbs. These will be a direct replacement for (in my case, which is an 84) the oil, temp, battery and fuel gauges. I didn't replace the bulbs in the speedo and tach, as they were bright enough.

The bonus in using these bulbs is that they will continue to work with the rheostat. Here's what I used for my car....just make sure you find forward firing bulbs - I went through a few others, and finally found one that was bright enough.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Matt

post-1448-1231073583.jpg

Here's a discussion on the very same topic from a couple of months ago with helpful tips on converting to LEDs.

If you want to look for more information, try using the search function as this problem comes up every few months or so. Just click on the search button above and put in the keywords you are interested in. You can also choose to limit the search area to whatever sub-forums you want with the options button.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Robert,

Your off-side rear running light is also not as bright as the near-side one. You may want to check that as well.

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Its probably the bulb holder thats fallen out of the lense which makes it look dimmer as its so far away from where it should be. They seem to break really easily ( I had 3 like that on mine when I bought the car) I got a new set of lenses so that fixed the problem.