free hit
counters
Blue, blue. Electric blue. - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Blue, blue. Electric blue.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nine 8mm blue LEDs (I did the heater display, too) a handful of resistors and a blob or two of solder. Total bill of under five quid. Bargain. :smoke:

I've got to do some headscratching over the switches as they're not suitable for LEDs, so I'm going to have to find some sort of blue condom for the bulbs instead.

Like it very much. I wish Lotus had got some uniformity with the redesigned dash, it looks like a bag of wine gums when illuminated.

How are you changing the switch colour when the icons are tinted?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Alex,

at least you can't poke it through your finger :smoke:

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

I like it!

I assume that would be possible with the old dash? I don't like the red/orange of the old dash, it would look better in blue and would match my radio. I think thats a job for the summer, wiring up won't be a problem, made loads of items with 12v LED's, I can see only one major job and that's to remove all the gauges coloured glass inside the dials. We once owned a VW Lupo, the dash was all blue with red illuminated switches, very smart at night.

Owen

Edited by OwenGT3

Nice stalks too...better than my Corsa ones :smoke:

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

I like. That makes for a very modern look.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Nine 8mm blue LEDs (I did the heater display, too) a handful of resistors and a blob or two of solder. Total bill of under five quid. Bargain. :smoke:

I've got to do some headscratching over the switches as they're not suitable for LEDs, so I'm going to have to find some sort of blue condom for the bulbs instead.

Can you get any translucent blue heat shrink plastic the size of the bulbs to put over them then heat the end where it comes off the bulb and pinch together to make your 'condoms'? Don't know how the bulbs fit in the switches as to whether there is enough room, but any electrical shop should have all sorts of heat shrink.

ps I really like the look of it as well. Very B)

Edited by ramjet

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Graham, either you have far too much time on your hands or Louise is not keeping you busy enough!!

If I wanted to do it here's my instructions.

1. Buy LED's

2. Take to Garage and say "Fit these in there please", be sure to point so that they know what you are talking about.

3. Pick up the car and pay

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

I don't feel so sure about writing a tutorial for others to do this, mainly because if you're at all uncertain there's a good chance you could do something nasty to the wiring loom of the car which may let all of the smoke out. However, I did it the inexspensive but time consuming way - if you want a quick but more wallet bashing way then read on....

Instead of using a handful of 8mm LEDs and resistors it's now possible to buy the correct LEDs which are exactly the same shape as the bulbs fitted to the dash clocks and are a direct replacement as they already contain a small resistor. In the picture below, the original dashboard bulb is in the foreground with the replacement LED behind it.

blue2030.jpg

The downside to this simplicity is, of course, the cost. Whereas I paid under 40 pence per LED, the ready to fit ones cost around

I've got a cunning plan for the push switches (head/fog lights etc) which I'll expand on if it works, but this may take a few days to fiddle about with. There will be some dismantling of weeny plastic bits, so it won't be for the fainthearted.

Looking forward to this part Graham as it's the least pleasing part of the dash. They are horrendous to take apart too, cheap Peugeot crap. William Ives had a mini project going replacing these with Aston Martin items but changing the icons, but I never found out how he got on.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Good work Pilko, you'll be doing your kitchen next!

Oh, this is for you :)

anorak.jpg

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

This place has a good selection of LED's for most applications, quite reasonable prices too :)

Ultra LEDs

Is this LED to small?

LED

Edited by internets

1982 DeLorean DMC 12 #16327, 1999 Lotus Elise, 1998 Lotus Esprit GT3 #2272, 2011 Lotus Evora S, 2013 Lotus Exige S,2016 Lotus Evora 400

Oh how I wish dashboard lights were all I had to worry about!! Does look good, though, and a very neat bit of wiring inside the switch, too.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein