free hit
counters
Halfords Battery - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Started the car up this morning and the car was dead as a dodo. The cold weather had taken it's toll on my Halfords 065 battery. It was just under 3 years old, and I seemed to remember I kept the receipt for it. So went to Halfords this morning with the old battery and receipt and asked for a new one and they gave me a

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the alternator is ok. I've found batterys only tend to last 3 years, as I don't do that many long journeys and the cold weather doesn't help.

Edited by Mark Blanchard

I'm having similar problems, I had to charge it this morning, not enough to start, but did turn over, and I've used it this week, but last night was very cold. I've checked the voltage while running and its getting 14v, so receiving charge ok. I checked my invoice to see how long the guarantee was, it was 4 years, got my from a place called Panks in Norwich, good auto electrical store, mine was also

That is a good deal. Did they test it or just swapped it over? In three years time can you go back and get anotherone?

Cheers, Jerry

Good deal, are you having a laugh. I presume it's an 065 battery we are talking about. I have a trade discount card for Halfrauds and i get the same battery for

Good deal, are you having a laugh. I presume it's an 065 battery we are talking about. I have a trade discount card for Halfrauds and i get the same battery for

I bought a new battery for Laura's Corsa (of Fury) last week. Halfords,

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Dave,

Is that discount typical with the trade card? I only ask as my step daughters boyfriend has one and he claimed that he got discs and pads for a Punto at nearly 50% off with the trade card, I usually take what he says with a pinch of salt as he can be a bit of a Walter Mitty.

Yep, it's pretty typical. You get the most discount off things like batteries, discs and pads. Goes to show how much they mark their prices up. The discount does vary according to the part but usually it's very good.

The Vauxhall Owners Club give away Halfords trade cards to members, perhaps I should see if we can do the same?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I'd not say the battery was 'free', I'd say it was replaced under warranty.

Actually, I got my money back on a 3 year battery a few months ago on my Nob, so they do houner their guarantees.

Right then, said Fred.

The Vauxhall Owners Club give away Halfords trade cards to members, perhaps I should see if we can do the same?

Are you sure thats not the Vauxhall trade club? I have one of their cards too and they are even cheaper than Halfrauds.

Evora NA

Good news <_<.

I'd not say the battery was 'free', I'd say it was replaced under warranty.

Of course it was under warranty, but 3 years is a long warranty for a battery that was never going to last more than 3 years. I've kept this receipt for this battery and hopefully they'll give me another battery in 3 years time when this one's knackered.

Or run a huge car club and offer Halfords stacks of business. They'd rather the trade than it go to a factors and of course they'll still making a profit on trade prices, just not as much as 'mug' public prices.

Evora NA

Good news <_<.

Of course it was under warranty, but 3 years is a long warranty for a battery that was never going to last more than 3 years. I've kept this receipt for this battery and hopefully they'll give me another battery in 3 years time when this one's knackered.

The last time I bought a battery from Halfords I could have paid a lower price for a one year warranty one or more for a three year warranty one ( which you and I both did). If they sell a 3 year battery then they must expect it to last 3 years, otherwise you'd never have to buy another one. If it's got a three year warranty then it should last 3 years unless it's defective.

Right then, said Fred.

I would image they replaced the battery rather than giving a refund and then allowing you to purchase a new one. that way you don't have another 3 year warranty, just the remains of the original one. Although if it failed in six months time you could always go back and see how amiable they are.

Andy

Or run a huge car club and offer Halfords stacks of business.

Sounds like an idea...shall we start one then? Oh, hang on... <_<

Marge: Homer, I don't want you driving around in a car you built yourself.

Homer : Marge, you can either sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts...

Andy - You get a fresh 3 year warranty on the replacement battery.

I've just spoken with Halfords and the Vauxhall Owners getting the cards was a trial, an unsuccessful one at that and they have no plans to expand the scheme.

Evora NA